What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

T

Tripp Inmiasov

Greenland was named by early vikings. They sailed their little boats there and found a very inhabitable land mass. Then it got cold. It's still colder than it was back then. Go figure.

We shouldn't harm the earth by digging little holes into it. But then again, if a big ass meteor hit the planet, like it did many times again and again, I guess those little ditches wouldn't mean jack shit.

But, yeah, man is really inconsiderate to this planet. But then again, those meteors really fucked up the planet for a long time.

I try not to worry too much about it.

Bhodi_22

they will? WTF?

they will? WTF?

Obviously they will delete anything to do with global warming or over population or such around here.

since when are potheads (medical or not) and counter culture types not allowed to discuss such things...just not here I suppose...I'm glad the threads lasted long enough for me to read it!!

G

greenmatter

they bin threads/posts because we get into endless pissing contests that have nothing to do with growing weed. if you read the TOU the mods actually have a very good sense of humor.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Greenland was named by early vikings. They sailed their little boats there and found a very inhabitable land mass. Then it got cold. It's still colder than it was back then. Go figure.

We shouldn't harm the earth by digging little holes into it. But then again, if a big ass meteor hit the planet, like it did many times again and again, I guess those little ditches wouldn't mean jack shit.

But, yeah, man is really inconsiderate to this planet. But then again, those meteors really fucked up the planet for a long time.

I try not to worry too much about it.

Actually they found it very HABITABLE for about 500 years. Then the climate changed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Settlement

Bhodi_22

neat thread but stay chill yo!! (pun intended...hehe)

neat thread but stay chill yo!! (pun intended...hehe)

I realize now a thread would get deleted because of folks getting into petty arguments not because of the subject itself...

I must say its sort of amusing reading people getting so riled up...

perhaps if some folks hit preview post first and then smoked another fat one or something perhaps they could re-read their words objectively see that being all forceful with your opinion is no way to get a point across...and often the arguments I've read are due to misunderstandings or folks not reading the whole thread and taking a single post out of context

personally I found ALL of the graphs and posts insightful and feel the only objective way to deal with a subject like this is to be open to all opinions and theories - I think pretty much every post had something valid to say - its only through accepting all these ideas as possible that we have any chance of surviving the days ahead and to maybe see whats actually going on...

"beliefs are limiting factors" Robert Anton Wilson
or "hold a picture of the world in your head too strongly and you'll never see things as they are" me

igrowone

Veteran
as long as the thread stays up, i'll give the quick updates for those that prefer a few quick words over the satellite pictures
the northeast passage is screaming(for this time of year), 2 weeks left in july, it's still looking to be open by august 1st
northwest passage is no slouch, keeping up the pace, just not as quick, but who knows? might be a quick finisher in the home stretch

T

Tripp Inmiasov

screaming? :help:

screamers seem to add a little something...:eek::

warmth promotes life... :party:

cold signifies...:deadhorse

:snap out of it:

igrowone

Veteran
screaming? :help:

screamers seem to add a little something...:eek::

warmth promotes life... :party:

cold signifies...:deadhorse

:snap out of it:

that's a valid point of view, perspective is everything
i thumbed through a book 'super species', which talks about looking at the spread of invasive species as a net positive
the ecology moves to a new equilibrium point, and the climate too

igrowone

Veteran
The latest update from http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
This is excerpted from the start of the current update.

July 18, 2011
Early sea ice melt onset, snow cover retreat presage rapid 2011 summer decline

Arctic sea ice extent declined at a rapid pace through the first half of July, and is now tracking below the year 2007, which saw the record minimum September extent. The rapid decline in the past few weeks is related to persistent above-average temperatures and an early start to melt. Snow cover over Northern Eurasia was especially low in May and June, continuing the pattern seen in April.

igrowone

Veteran
looking at the ice map today, and from what i see the northeast passage has just opened
blue water all the way around the russian arctic rim
the web site usually makes a note when this happens
nothing yet, but i think this is unprecedented for speed
so if you're planning a sail up in the arctic sea, don't use this post as a guide

Bhodi_22

great thread

great thread

looking at the ice map today, and from what i see the northeast passage has just opened
blue water all the way around the russian arctic rim
the web site usually makes a note when this happens
nothing yet, but i think this is unprecedented for speed
so if you're planning a sail up in the arctic sea, don't use this post as a guide

But it's such a lovely sail!! t'hehe...alas I've never actually been that far north but I do have fond memories of Hudsons Bay and did taste the Arctic Ocean once upon a time...I suppose it'd be an itty bitty bit less salty now -- as if buddy!! -- but still the ol' polar bears can't be too stoked about all this!

igrowone

Veteran
if you're up for the sail bhodi, rock on, the pics i see of the artic ocean always seem nice and calm
probably because no one bothers to take pics in the rough weather

back to the current state of affairs, this is the most recent review of conditions(just the headline) - http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

August 3, 2011
Arctic sea ice at record low for July

igrowone

Veteran
so the latest doings up at the roof of the world(so to speak)
the melt rate has slowed for a while, then sped back up
and from what i see, the northwest passage is open! and the northeast passage too, which opened earlier
don't know if we will see a new minimum arctic ice extent this year, but it should be close