What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds from Seedless Watermelon

Betterhaff

Veteran
I recently found a few seeds in a seedless watermelon. I’m kind of curious, do you think they’ll grow? I know they are triploids and the plants are supposedly sterile but these seeds look like they came out of a regular watermelon instead of the small white pips from seedless. I can’t do anything with them until next year other than try to germinate one but I’ll probably wait because I only have a few.

Seedless varieties are made by crossing tetraploid and diploid varieties resulting in triploid seeds. Since these are sterile they are planted alongside diploid varieties to assure pollination and fruit set. Maybe something misfired and somehow some viable seeds were formed. I don’t know, maybe they just look good but are sterile, I guess there’s only one way to find out.