What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone Machine SbS, EZ Cloner, Power Cloner, and Rainforest.

A

Alone

I think that the Rainforest cuts had stem rot at the dipped ends from the looks of the pics?
This could have resulted in the roots growing up the stem abit.
Were the tips of the stems soft or slimey? If they were slimy than there needs more oxygen bubblers in the rez, and a cooler rez temp.
The EZ-C and the Power -C didnt get any slime right?

A

Alone

Next Side by Side will use the winning machine, the EZ Cloner, and will investigate the effects of Liquid Rooting Concentrate vs Rooting Gel, with an un-dipped control group.

To do this experiment:
You will need to do it in 2 stages ~
Stage 1: Use all dipped cuts only. Log results.
Stage 2: Use only undipped cuts. (This way there is no wash-off from the rooting gel which will get onto the undipped cuts, and throw off the results by a few days). Log results.

Hope this helped. :tiphat:

S

SooperSmurph

To do this experiment:
You will need to do it in 2 stages ~
Stage 1: Use all dipped cuts only. Log results.
Stage 2: Use only undipped cuts. (This way there is no wash-off from the rooting gel which will get onto the undipped cuts, and throw off the results by a few days). Log results.

Hope this helped. :tiphat:
Do you really think this "wash off" (amounting to about 5mls total of gel or 1ml / gal) is going to have such a huge effect on a 5 gallon reservoir?

I wish I had a functioning ppm meter so we could perform an experiment and see exactly how much active is being added to the res by this washing.
I think that the Rainforest cuts had stem rot at the dipped ends from the looks of the pics?
This could have resulted in the roots growing up the stem abit.
Were the tips of the stems soft or slimey? If they were slimy than there needs more oxygen bubblers in the rez, and a cooler rez temp.
The EZ-C and the Power -C didnt get any slime right?
Soft and slick to the touch but with no actual residue or slime.

B

BasementGrower

ive done this test.. in my homemade aero cloner.. wen I had plants that rooted more up the stem.. id just make sure to cut the rest of the stem off below it . to not get any rot..

basicly 9/10 died wen I didn't cut the stem off.. from root/stem rot..

when I did rootgel vs no gel in only WATER.. the no gel had better results..

I have better results just adding 5ml protekt 5ml calmag 1/8th strength flower nutes.. and using no gel.. and I had wayyyy better results wen I had a nice size bowl.. and cut my 45degree angle on the stems UNDER WATER.

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
when I did rootgel vs no gel in only WATER.. the no gel had better results..
I have better results just adding 5ml protekt 5ml calmag 1/8th strength flower nutes.. and using no gel.. and I had wayyyy better results wen I had a nice size bowl.. and cut my 45degree angle on the stems UNDER WATER.
Cutting stems UNDER WATER is a technique a florist once taught me for helping cut flowers last longer. He said an air bubble can get into the stem, and cause the plant to stop sucking up water.

I have found this to be beneficial with cannabis clones.

:2cents:
BeL

S

SooperSmurph

Cutting stems UNDER WATER is a technique a florist once taught me for helping cut flowers last longer. He said an air bubble can get into the stem, and cause the plant to stop sucking up water.

I have found this to be beneficial with cannabis clones.

:2cents:
BeL
Keeping an air pocket from forming inside the stem is definitely important, but over time i've come to prefer cutting the clones very quickly and then placing them directly into the running machine, my phone sits nearby ticking away the seconds, and if too many pass between the initial cut and its arrival at the machine, it ends up culled instead.

S

SooperSmurph

A year later, the Rainforest is in the dumpster, and the Power Cloner and EZ Cloner are still going strong.

Sorry GH, but your cloner wasn't very well designed.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
7 days in rockwool

7 days in rockwool

picture.php

S

SooperSmurph

I do both styles now, plugs and machines, just to keep up with volume.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A year later, the Rainforest is in the dumpster, and the Power Cloner and EZ Cloner are still going strong.

Sorry GH, but your cloner wasn't very well designed.

I believe the Rainforest was initially designed with the 6 site 6" pots. The volume of water this machine requires was for supporting 6 large plants so I'm not suprized to hear it didn't work well... the nice thing about this machine is that the motor is 12Volts. It can be run off of a solar panel & a battery in a remote location. Can you say hydro gorilla? Hehe...

The experiment you did was nice as I have both an EZ & a Rainforest and have always had better luck with the EZ Cloner.

Did you really toss that machine?
It is still useful even if not for clones.

S

SooperSmurph

Long story short, it was either get rid of them, or be forced to use them for cloning, no one wanted to purchase them, whether on consignment or craigslist, so in the end I got rid of them to make room for other things, looking back on it, I could have found an empty corner for them in the storage area, and used them for hydroponics later, but at the time all I really wanted was for them to be gone.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What cycle timer are you using Smurf ??? Cap products have been unreliable lately , just curious as to what your using .

S

SooperSmurph

What cycle timer are you using Smurf ??? Cap products have been unreliable lately , just curious as to what your using .
I'm a fan of Titan products, and they have the same "if we can't fix it, we'll replace it" warranty you get from CAP, pretty sure most of their timers are covered 1-2 years.