What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS for yield?

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Colas forming nicely, a bit leafy tho...strain related?

this is around 30 days.
picture.php

the gnome

Veteran
grown in hps, a bit leafy tho.... strain related?
picture.php

here's a pic of a leafy plant i grew w/HPS and i can fill the rest of this page with leafy hps plants.

so posting a pic of a leafy MH plants proves what exactly?
well, using your logic MH only makes leafy plants..
then explain the pic below homie

vapedg13 sums it up imo... :smoke:
BS leafy buds are a genetic trait..... look at these buds... all bud MH the entire grow
IMG_2220.jpg

btw that pic you posted is from my new room that went online in dec,
my clones were in trays for 5 months and looked really ragged,
i had no place to veg em out untill the room was ready
only 15% of the room is with my keeper, liea og
didn't want to risk using weak, ragged plants in a 6000w gro
almost all in that pic are from the 1st run from seed,
so yeah, lots of new untested strains

Last edited:

Mikenite69

Veteran
Well anyone interested in the higher kelvin rated metal halides we will see how my plants turn out under that bulb. I had my hps in my tent for about a week. So it will he a true test of how halides yield. I am currently approaching week 4 since pistils on my grow

The first two weeks I used my metal halide one week of hps and now since seeing this thread threw my my metal halide back in will post pics later on in flower. My metal halide is either 5600k or 5200k I'll look and post it when I get a chance.

some strains are leafy by nature,Its not the bulb causing this.Mh lights will always be in my room!!Try the ushio metal halide i have never seen as much frosting on the leaves till i screwed in this bulb.

Great pics!

soil margin

Veteran
I need to find the article again but I read some pretty good argument that HPS is typically best for plant size/yield but that MH would provide more resin/trichome production. Seems to me that both light types have their place if they optimize different aspects of growth.

the gnome

Veteran
Well anyone interested in the higher kelvin rated metal halides we will see how my plants turn out under that bulb.

been there done that, it didn't turn out well,
yield was horrible, buds were small, crappy but frosty and potent

the guy I learned from and who has run MH for 20yrs said:
use a 4000K, that's what will give your best results.
stray from that and you heading away from optimum results to bad
i wasn't going to run MH after using a hi K MH bulb then i read what vapedg13 said, use the 4000k, its been gravy since then.
I'll bet this is why Mh has gotten so many mixed results
from crap to amazing.
in my hps vs mh thread i lost count of how many times i referenced to use 4000k and on the next page its history and people want to use what they have laying around and then it goes south.
btw mikentite, I'm not trying to dump on ya :)

btw, the hi K Mh bulbs used were 4600K and a 7200K
both great for veg, terrible for bloom.

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my experience has been slightly shorter plants with what seemed to be more thc..lower yield then hps.....no leafy buds...if I only had one bulb it would be an mh....now I only got hps lol

Mikenite69

Veteran
I didn't take it that way as dumping on me at all. I just also figured it would also be easier to take pics under. Lol.

Also looks like my metal halide penetrates my canopy a lot better than my hps. Maybe I'll toss the hps back in today. I went to my friends hydro shop and the only metal halides they offer is 4200k which shouldn't be that much of a difference if anything it will has slightly higher amount of blue in it but not by much. Not like running a 5600k where the kelvin color would be a lot different.

I know exactly what you are talking about gnome because back in the day all I had was a metal halide hid light and I use to run that from start to finish and always had great results. I also just use to buy only the cheapest bulbs I could find and that would be from lowes and Home Depot. I think those bulbs that they offer are the 4k metal halides.

Lacroix

Is there a 600 watt 4000k metal halide bulb even made? I can't find one anywhere. A link would be very appreciated.

the gnome

Veteran
i don't think going back to hps would hurt but you'd have the stretch set in by then,
with a quick search i found plant max and xtrasub both have 600w conversion halides but in 7200K ranges,
that doesn't mean they aren't out there.
maybe get a digi ballast that's dimmible if you can only use a a 600w.... ?

I didn't take it that way as dumping on me at all. I just also figured it would also be easier to take pics under. Lol.

Also looks like my metal halide penetrates my canopy a lot better than my hps. Maybe I'll toss the hps back in today. I went to my friends hydro shop and the only metal halides they offer is 4200k which shouldn't be that much of a difference if anything it will has slightly higher amount of blue in it but not by much. Not like running a 5600k where the kelvin color would be a lot different.

I know exactly what you are talking about gnome because back in the day all I had was a metal halide hid light and I use to run that from start to finish and always had great results. I also just use to buy only the cheapest bulbs I could find and that would be from lowes and Home Depot. I think those bulbs that they offer are the 4k metal halides.

taking pics with any Mh over HPS makes life easier :laughing:
and fo sure 4200K sounds waaaay better over the 5200K.
as fars as the 5200K,
I couldn't say how they'd do with that bulb, i haven't tried.
it's just extremely discouraging to run a MH like i did(6400-7200K) and have a shit harvest,
makes you want to never try again.... fookin EVER!

i bought a 3800K bt 37 MH from PLH so it would fit in my 6" cooltubes on another gro and they threw out a nasty,
mostly greenish yellow hue... I passed and found some plusrite 1000w 4000K bt 37 bulbs that fit the cooltubes... for $15
and they did it.
don't think looking for cheapo bulbs is my priority,
i get what rocks the budz....
just happens I seem to get lucky with the price thing:tiphat:

Jhhnn

Veteran
Is there a 600 watt 4000k metal halide bulb even made? I can't find one anywhere. A link would be very appreciated.

If you have a magnetic HPS ballast, you want a conversion bulb, like this-

http://store.bulbstock.com/22129.html?gclid=CJzczOrLtr0CFcg7MgodqQcAHw

I think that all 600w MH bulbs are specialty conversion bulbs, as 600w ballasts are built for HPS afaik. I could be wrong, too.

Dunno what will work in a 600w high freq electronic system other than bulbs rated for it.

Our 600W BLUE is a metal halide lamp designed to operate on 600W electronic ballasts or Core and Coil (magnetic) HPS ballasts rated ANSI S106. All 600 Watt Core and Coil (magnetic) ballasts are HPS rated, which means our 600W BLUE is a conversion lamp on this system.

Please note that there is no 600W Metal Halide Core and Coil ballast. They do not exist in the general lighting industry. That is why all 600W Metal Halide lamps are conversion lamps designed to run on HPS Core and Coil ballasts to give you the greatest flexibility.

- See more at: http://www.eyehortilux.com/products/specific/600w-Hortilux-Blue#sthash.BIMHS4i7.dpuf

Midwest they usually do have a lower lumen rating then hps lights.Hps lights appear brighter to the human eye because they are heavy in the orange red spectrum.So a lower lumen rating may not mean efficiency loss.Most of the halides on the market today have a spectrum more like the sun.Halides generally produce more par watt for watt. so to the human eye hps appears brighter.

Everyone who reads this thread who has any doubt should try it out.

Latest posts

Latest posts