What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Glass or no glass? Any side by sides???

I grow mostly blue cheese. The yields aren't great but is very smelly and flavorful, and it's rather potent. Open a jar and the room or whole house is filled with a dank skunkiness. When smoked the blueberry taste comes through. Quite the crowd pleaser.

I see you quoted me for that question. I was quoting etinacradiaego the lazy way with just parentheses. Just wanted to avoid any confusion. Also, I uhhh, need 50 posts to use the site fully.

I would like to get a blue cheese cut though, sounds delightful.

medicalmj

Veteran
I see you quoted me for that question. I was quoting etinacradiaego the lazy way with just parentheses. Just wanted to avoid any confusion. Also, I uhhh, need 50 posts to use the site fully.

I would like to get a blue cheese cut though, sounds delightful.

No worries. I had to add a Big Blue O3 gen to grow the cheese as the carbon filter just couldn't do it. It's that danky:)

Mt Toker

Those glasses work but not quite that good, my buddy has a pair that do that or claim to. I thought they were good but I want to say they were like $70 $80 or something real high. . . I just wear regular sunglasses if I'm around a lot of light and if I need to look at something close I take the glasses off.

What is your guy's take on UV-B lighting? I've heard some people say that it helps with penetration for what ever reason.

Tardigrade

Isn't it as simple as the glass only allows 91% of the light through, the rest is trapped in the glass and converted to heat, right? So, remove the glass and net light increases by ~10%...

I have always run non aircooled apart from the odd summer where is has been a necessity. But recently I decided to change a room to air cooled for the summer... Gavita say you could loose up to 20% by cooling the arc in the bulb so instead of 600w's I have got 1000w ballasts....I figure 20% of 1000w is still better than 600w so I t onewill let you know on tha

Isn't it as simple as the glass only allows 91% of the light through, the rest is trapped in the glass and converted to heat, right? So, remove the glass and net light increases by ~10%...

maybe, except your output goes down by 80% when you have to raise the light 18 inches to keep temps the same after removing your glass...glass lets you get the bulb closer to the canopy than you ever could otherwise, and with the exponential decay of light strength distance from the canopy to the bulb is by far the most important factor, every 2 inches you have to raise the light you are decreasing the strength of the light by 25-50%...

if it were more efficient to run lights without lights than the light companies would have figured that out and stopped using them...they aren't stupid...they do thousands of hours of testing and research and know what will work best...

do you guys actually think a couple of stoners with grow tents will find some breakthrough in light technology that the reflector companies haven't already figured out? best to leave it to the professionals in cases like this...

although asking if a light would be better without the glass is the same as asking if a race car would be better without tires...glass is so basic to the design of an air cooled light that doing away with it would foolishly defeat the entire purpose of the light...

Tardigrade

maybe, except your output goes down by 80% when you have to raise the light 18 inches to keep temps the same after removing your glass...glass lets you get the bulb closer to the canopy than you ever could otherwise, and with the exponential decay of light strength distance from the canopy to the bulb is by far the most important factor, every 2 inches you have to raise the light you are decreasing the strength of the light by 25-50%...

oh yea, I guess that's the trade-off. good point, man!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a pair of those glasses ther called Lummi from Hydrofarm 20$ is what I paid. Theres also the method 7 glasses that are 150$... you make the choice :)

I dont use any hoods, Im a Vertical Bare Bulb grower..I cool the room works much better for me. The glass in hoods will reduce your par by 3-5%.. This can be found with a google search.. The only benefit I see is they will contain a exploded bulb so the fire hazard is much less.