What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Organics vs General Hydroponics

Mister_D

Veteran
Isnt GO chelated? similar to "chem" nutes? This is my reasoning for why it would work the same, Just wondering because I run Caps bennies with flora nutes, but it just seems I would get better cohesion with organic chelated nutes, guess is six in one hand half dozen in the other in this case..

Id say soil in general is the reason plants dont yield as much, aeration can influence transpiration and soil is rife with aeration issues, lest you amend it, still, coco is hands down killing every soil run I ever did.. what are your thoughts misterD? Im fully aware of how nutrients work, but GO isnt your typical organic nutrient, as It really doesnt require microbial like bat shit and blood meal would for example..

Yes GO has some humic acid in it, an organic chelate. GO has been mostly mineralized (digested by bacteria making it plant available prior to bottling), so yes it acts "similar" to a chem nute (instantly available). However unlike a chem nute you gain a slight buffer to over feeding because part of the nutes still need to be broken down within you media before the plant can use them. Just to be clear not all chem nutes are chelated (i.e. GH flora series). You probably know that, but others might not. You are right that running bennies with organic nutes is a bit more effective, but unless you are recycling your media the difference is negligible. I have read running chemical chelates will kill off most of your bennies however, so that's something to consider when choosing base nutes. As far as soil vs coco, it simply comes down to more air in the root zone causing faster, more robust growth. There is a reason aero produces better than any other method, at least in a perfect world.

Not sure if anyone cares, but I ran GO for about a year before going back to GH flora, yields were just a little under what I get with the flora so I keep with those over GO, otherwise Id say flavor was the same really, Pre98 always tastes good after a good cure, but GO was pretty easy to dial the plants with, no issues whatsoever with them, and I recommend them to anyone wanting to give em a run, still I average about a 1/2lb more with Flora nutes.. Also was in dirt with GO, Im in coco now and wont be going back!

I care, I want to know what other people have found out too. I want to know everything I can on the topic,

Mister_D

Veteran
And humic acids aren't a bad thing, you'll find them in any composted product, they are part of the process.

Agreed :biggrin:. I add them in the form of ful-humix (was humisolve) and also ful-power (fulvic acid) to both organic and chem grows. Really good stuff IMO.

Ful-humix is added at 1/8 tsp per 5 gal of water/nute solution clone through flush

Ful-power - 5ml per gal. clone through flush.

It bears mentioning that you won't get the full effect of ful-humix unless you are recycling your media. There is a noticable effect when you first start using it, but it really shines after the first recycle and beyond. Ful-power is immediatly available, thus recommended for people that don't reuse their media or are doing hydro with cloggable sprayers/drippers (ful-humix always has a small amount left over that won't fully dissovle).

Neo 420

Veteran
You also get humus with quality EWC or compost. The plants below are all in recycled soil. It only gets better with time..

LOL, I keep forgetting some people pitch their soil. I run mine through the compost pile and reuse it when it comes out with the compost. Not only does that give me "mature" organic benefits in my finished compost, but gives my organic amendments time to actually work since some organics take multiple years to complete processing. I still have hydroton still cycling through the system and I haven't added any in years.

I take the compost out once all the new material is processed, amend it with whatever, mix it into potting soil. Use it. Dump it back in (assuming no disease or problem)with the rest of the greens and browns to back into the compost bin when I'm done with it to give it a ride though the process. My soil is kind of like one big living thing that just shifts around where it lives for a while. Pretty sure I saw some of it sneaking over the neighbor's to steal lawn clippings the other night.

Team Microbe

Veteran
LOL, got them ground up just fine thanks. And the roots seemed fine, the brown appears to be some sort of stain/residue.

That's root rot, it's a slime that's formed on roots. General Organics arent meant to be used in DWC like that, the nutrients aren't supposed to be left airborn for more than 48 hours that's why they rotted like that. I bet your yield wouldve been up around the others if you grew that in soil, and I know for a fact the smoke would've tasted better!

Organic ftw!