What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting Development

Stoxx

Hello fellow CFL-er grafter.

:tiphat:

Nice heart-shaped graft! I've had some success not removing the bag too much. I have clumsy hands at times and I've messed one graft up snapping the joint on bag removal.

But it seems like many of you are removing the bag and misting. I've found this to be unnecessary as the bag steams up from leaf perspiration usually. I puff and de-puff the bag sometimes to ventilate the bag but other than that I let the thing sit gently.

I don't know all the proper names, but I find the mutual clamp graft, and the T-cut graft on woodier hosts, and other sandwich or surround methods have best mechanical structure. I've seen videos on the cotyledon graft and read R Clarke's 'kiss' graft that keeps the roots around for some weeks, but found them to be impossibly difficult on thinner stems/branches. Too fragile unless there is good mechanical support from the host. Or maybe I'm too clumsy or working with too young of plants. Parafilm has worked well for me, but I'm looking into combo tape and clamp for thicker stems/branches.

In either case, the sturdier the form of the graft, the better. At least that has been my experience.

Great thread! For the mini-growers in all of us.

Stoxx
CA215/SB420 compliant. Not to be construed as legal, medical or grow advice.

k-grower

done this earlier, after inspection of survived cuttings - i noticed that the cutting used the stem for substrate growing roots through the stem, it´s not good substrate when comparing any other in market, you can see clearly at the pictures that the stem is decaying and whit out pair of original leafs on stem it would die very fast.
i can see only possible use´s of this, what is mainly cotrolling possible fine amount if caught and in country or state where the fine amount is measured by plant count.

I haven't read the whole thread, but approach grafting works very well for cannabis and you don't need any baggies or misting. They usually take in 3-4 weeks.

GF-Z

Just a guess. Then humidity is dry, plant transpiration becomes fast, to remove heat. It means water flows much faster (probably some kind of pressure also changes).
So from all this my THOUGHT is:
You finish grafting put some bags around cutting (to provide constant humidity) and make air humidity around whole plant very low something like 30%...
Question is: maybe it will speed up recovering process, because of faster transfer of water and possibly hormones nutrients?
This is just a guess, hypotesis!

Like ur idea GF-Z. I have no experience grafting but as I was reading the thread I was thinking kinda along the same lines....forcing transport of goodies to the scion. I was curious if anyone had tried pinching out (supercropping) the stock just below the projected graft a few days (or however much time deemed fit) before the procedure... seems to me it would put the stock into repair mode and help the healing process....could just be a dumb noob idea though. ;)

JointOperation

ive only had success with this .. by using anti wilt on the plant im going to take the cutting off of to graft onto another plant.. we spray the cutting plant with anti wilt for a few days before.. and then do the graft.. and the plant doesnt wilt nearly as much.. and seems to take much easier.. we use a see threw cup.. put over the cutting.. with a bag.. using tape to keep the cup away from destroying the cutting. but i found the bag touching the leaves and not touching the leaves made a big difference in how fast they recovered. wierd.. but it worked for me.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

Do you make sure the rootstock is the later maturing then any grafts used? It will help you have sucess.
Not much use for this type of grafted plants it is useful for people that have plant number limits as you can have 10 varieties on one plant so ten plants can library 100 varieties.
I made Cannabis grafts 30 years ago, both with living grafts ( 2 plants) still attached to living plants and also cut branch pieces grafted to another living plant, no problems at all except when the rootstock wanted to flower and die before the grafted later maturing branches started to flower. The reverse worked fine. I have done it with males also, 10 males on one plant.
-SamS

goldie76

Great thread and info! Prior to finding this thread started a grafting project using crossover/pass technique. One root stock to 5 different strains, consolidate male stocks. So far so good. We'll see how it goes once I divorce them! I used superglue to seal stick together. Dermabond used in medical basically superglue great for adjoining tissue. Thought I'd give it a go. I applied to non cut edges pressed together then re-applied. They appear to be taking well! Thought I'd share:)

goldie76

Update...checked on the grafts last night looked ok until I tried shuffling around the pots, 2 came loose. 3 still holding. May go get some clothes pins to help secure re damage site to help with better bonding. Will keep trying.

goldie76

Update, added small clothes pins to help bond the joint, looking good so far. Going to go for 4 weeks before I divorce them, should be long enough I hope. Not sure when to separate, or how to tell...anyone else with experience with the crossover method?

goldie76

Here is a pic I found that might help to those interested in technique, very low stress method, but slow! http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112750
Kodiak_grafting.jpg