What's new

Olivia's Cloning Gel vs Miracle Grow Fast Root

couchlockd

nice.

heres my clone gel trial and tribulations i should note, i keep moms in a 18"d X 36"w X 42" h storage cab lit with a 175 watt venture MH. the clones go into a seperate 24" X 24" armoire lit with a 125 watt Daylight feliz CFL.

over the years i tried many many gells, usually i stick with a certain brand till the hydro store runs out of it next time i need it or does not carry it anymore or cant get it. Also i tried rockwool, and oasis, never good results till i got with the "composted forrest bark latex" things like Gh rapid Rooters, Bcuzz Power Plugz, Q-plugs, and Clonex Root Riot plugs. after testing all these plugs i like the Clonex ROOT RIOT plugs the best, they seem quicker to root.

first gels i used were technaflora Rootech gel, manly cuzz it came in the started kits i usdd to buy for hydro nutes (it was cheaper to buy 2 starter kits to make a quart of nutes than to buy the actual quarts individually) anyway.

technaflora root tech - .55% Indole-3 butyric acid.
Pretty strong gell, much stronger than most with .25% and such. clones always rooted good. usually in 5-8 days. i noticed with this gell if i put too much on the stems those would take longet than ones with a minimal amount. usually got 90% to 93% strike rate.

Next, Atami B'cuzz Root Aid gel - .5% Indole-3 butyric acid, and .25% Napthylacetic Acid
real string gell, with almost equal amounts of IBA and teh addition of NAA. i preffered this gel when i used it, it was real thick like snot and sticky like glue. quick dip is all that is needed, clones rooted pretty damned quick in 4-8 days. 95% sucess rate. too much of this gell and the clone will not root as fast as the others, use just a dab

next, and finally, Clonex Rooting Compound Gel - .3% Indole Butyric acid and thiamine b1
weaker than the two above, but still good, and has some b vit, which does or does not help root growth. anyway gell is a little thinner than the other tow, but just as sticky. clones take a little longet to root, like 5-8 days, but when they do show through they are in such an abundance its quite breath taking. maybe it is just the root riot plugs coupled with their gel that get the may fuzzier and more roots. i found i can apply just a little or go over board with no ill effect to the cuts.

hands down i like the Clonex best, second is the b'cuzz root aid, and third is technaflora Rootech.

ive tried others like dip and grow, Xtreme Nutes gell, Botanicare's gel and a few other can remember off the top of my head. but nothing to write home aobut, the botanicare was good but not nearly as good as the three above.

i also keep my gells in the fridgerator, and always decanter and discard any unused gel.

so root riot plugs and clonex gel for me are a match made in heaven. could it be the two really were meant to be used together, or did i just get lucky, or is my brain fried, coudl be but i like that combo for cloning. seeds get started in FF light warrior. never these plugs as i tried and dont like it

T

Terlihat

No cloning gels/powders, no misting, rockwool cubes, humidity dome for first 24 hours, provided the mother plants are healthy then 100% success rate.

Aotf

I like the human saliva bit.....

Ive used Hocus pocus,and at other times I have used sand, water and time. It worked well. Rooting powder/gel reminds me of things like Superthrive or Marvel Mystery Oil, they make big claims, but nobody has any proof that they work better than nothing at all. Kudo's for attempting it.

[I have always wanted to try brewer's yeast [usually full vitamin b complex] or vegemite, since it is basically fermented brewers yeast paste??]

T

Terlihat

No misting is important, because if the plant is getting it's water throught the leaves then it feels it does'nt need to grow roots.
Also misting can leach the chlorophyl out of the leaves and they go yellow.
If the plant starts to wilt don't mist it, it just means it's getting too much light, put it in the dark for a couple of hours and it will stand up straight again.
I don't have cloning lights or cloning areas, I put them anywhere, in the room with the grow lights, but far away from the lights, if it's winter and the sun is not too intense they go near a window.

cliffy

No misting is important, because if the plant is getting it's water throught the leaves then it feels it does'nt need to grow roots.

If the plant starts to wilt don't mist it, it just means it's getting too much light, put it in the dark for a couple of hours and it will stand up straight again.

I call BULLSHIT.

T

Terlihat

Yeah well, try it sometime.
Also with rockwool cubes, soak them in water before you use them, I sit them in about half an inch of water and then also pour water over the top of them a couple of times.
But you don't actually want them that wet, so hold one in your fingers and swing it around a few times to shake the excess water out of them.
Don't squeeze them to get the excess water out, this compacts the rockwool and destroys some of the air cells in them, and the roots wont get enough oxygen.

Aotf

I call BULLSHIT.

Try it and you will change your tune.

I have some late season cuttings I took. They are literally McD's yogurt cups with river sand all have holes poked in the bottom. They all reside in a drain pan. I kept water in to hydrate and all shot roots about 3 weeks time, which is slow. Outside, temps were between 95-70 in the day and 60-45 at night. Water went in drain pain only and adhesion - cohesion - tension did the rest.

Don't be fooled into a line of thinking you can't prove.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Miracle Grow products? *bleah*

As far as I'm concerned they're crap and have introduced mold and other nasties into my grows when I've used them.

I'll use just about any other product from any other company than MG. YMMV.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Docteur

Fuck miracle grow they belong to monsanto

MONSANto is poisoning us people don't put their product on your weed

toastfighter2

Under most circumstances I wouldn't let any miracle grow products near my grow either, but as I said before, it was cheap and readily available. AND it works(at least as good/better than the more expensive hydro shop stuff), so until this jar is gone, I'm going to use it. After that, I plan on giving the stuff krunchbubble uses a try. That will be a minute though, I still have about a half bottle left, and I gave a friend a big scoop in a baggy(labeled for safety of course ).

couchlockd

I call BULLSHIT.

yes it is bullshit.

but the idea he had is close but far off

if you foliar feed clones too much they will get lazy and either not grow roots or grow them real real slow.

thats a fact.

but if a clone is wilting, yeah it may be getting to much light, which is causing the medium and air to dry out too much.

mist the absolute piss out of clones. i mist 4 times a day and cover and repeat till i see roots poppin out then i just leave the dome off and mist for 3 times a day for a few days then transplant to secondary rooting containers.

mg products suck by the way.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not to crap on anyone's parade but you do know that Olivia's cloning gel doesn't contain any rooting hormones, right? No hormones whatsoever. Just a mild NPK gel is all it is...
At least the MG fast root has some.

I bought 2 of Olivia's cloning gel and when I read the label I could not find out what rooting hormone was in it. Now I find it hard to believe that with all of the great rooting gels out there that anyone would sell a rooting gel without the rooting hormones.

Can anyone tell me what is the hormones in Olivia's cloning gel?

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As far as misting clones goes I'll add my 2 cents.... don't use a dome if you have them behind black plastic away from any fans. If they wilt just mist the bigger fan leaves, not the top.

couchlockd

ill tell ya, root aid by B'Cuzz is one of the, if not the most strongest as far as hormones go, they got full tilt IBA and NAA

second strongest is RooTech by technaflora, it has the max of naa and some iba i think.

but they are kinda pricey as far as compared to clonex.

FWIW, i was a rootech die hard guy, then store stopped carrying it, so i switched to Root Aid, then i was a die hard root aid convert. untill they stopped carrying the small size,

then i went to clonex. now im a die hard clonex guy.

see a patern??

if you do your part any cloning gel will work, even powders or no gel/.powders at all.

P

Puscifer

I bought 2 of Olivia's cloning gel and when I read the label I could not find out what rooting hormone was in it. Now I find it hard to believe that with all of the great rooting gels out there that anyone would sell a rooting gel without the rooting hormones.

Can anyone tell me what is the hormones in Olivia's cloning gel?

Her's the pdf, have a look for yourself. Olivia's is nothing more than a very weak gelatin NPK formula...
http://www.hydrofarm.com/downloads/fc/s Cloning Sol & Gel_19594.pdf

G.Goo

Humidity and other things more important then gels or powders. Doesn't matter what I use its always 7-10 days even with nothing at all

I have used Olivia for many years with great success. I did a side by side comparison
with Olivia and Take Root powder.

They both rooted in the same time. However, Olivias had thick spagetti roots where the powder had thin angel hair pasta roots.

I assumes Olivias lacked the the hormones because it is marketed for food crops.
The Take Root powder is labeled for use with ornamental plants not food crops.

Even the label on the Clonex says not for use on food crops.

Bottom line is they all work. I can root clones with honey. Humidity, lighting and temp
are the important aspect to successful cloning.