What's new

Subs, Grinders, Poorboys

jefff

Back in the 60's lived in Chicago. Had $5 per day to live on. Went in this old empty store, behind a counter in the back was a table, slicer, cutting board, basket of french bread and cooler. A menu on the wall, you had 3 choices of subs. Asked the guy what a 'sub" was? Some lunch meat, a little cheese, lettice and oil/vinegar on french bread, kinda looks like a submarine when it's done he said!
I ordered the cheapest, I think maybe .65, well let me tell you, it wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but there was something about it. It was dry, crumbly, but had a very different taste, wrapped in a piece of paper. Very different for a Wisconsin farm boy........ I think I ate one a day (big enough for two meals) for a year or so as I was going to school. The taste of the meats, cheese, w/ the oil/vin and lettice I never forgot. As I grew, married and had more money started making my own subs. Through the years sub shops have come and gone. Must say "Subway", Quisnos and others now are doing a pretty good sandwich. Has nothing to do with the subs of old, it's in the bread. You must use French, Baguitte or a hard roll........................ it's all in the crust.

God, I'm getting hungry!!!!!!

FiveLeggedGoat

I'm not a real goat.™
Veteran
Down here in cajun country we call'em Po'boys....I eat at least 1 every week.

My favorite.......fried shrimp po'boy.......roast beef runs a close second.

robereno

Also known as a grinder, hero, hoagie, Italian sandwich, po' boy, wedge, zep, or torpedo. (Wikipedia knows everything)

In Rhode Island we called them hoagies. And I'm headed to the fridge right now.

420oclock

When I was living in Philthadelphia, they were subs or hoagies, unless they were heated...then they were grinders.

Reefdoggie

La Spada's in Ft Lauderdale made the best subs... Zagat Winner '02-'04. And the original "Schlotszky's" (back in the mid-eighties) was unbelievable. Today's sub franchises can't touch 'em!

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Back in the 60's lived in Chicago. Had $5 per day to live on. Went in this old empty store, behind a counter in the back was a table, slicer, cutting board, basket of french bread and cooler. A menu on the wall, you had 3 choices of subs. Asked the guy what a 'sub" was? Some lunch meat, a little cheese, lettice and oil/vinegar on french bread, kinda looks like a submarine when it's done he said!
I ordered the cheapest, I think maybe .65, well let me tell you, it wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but there was something about it. It was dry, crumbly, but had a very different taste, wrapped in a piece of paper. Very different for a Wisconsin farm boy........ I think I ate one a day (big enough for two meals) for a year or so as I was going to school. The taste of the meats, cheese, w/ the oil/vin and lettice I never forgot. As I grew, married and had more money started making my own subs. Through the years sub shops have come and gone. Must say "Subway", Quisnos and others now are doing a pretty good sandwich. Has nothing to do with the subs of old, it's in the bread. You must use French, Baguitte or a hard roll........................ it's all in the crust.

God, I'm getting hungry!!!!!!

I remember the 1980s and the signs for grinders. I came from a part of the country where the term wasn't used so I had no idea what a grinder was.

I don't know if it is all in the crust, but I'll take your word for it because you seem to be the resident Subway expert. I would have gone with the pickles, but call me crazy...

C

Cracky

subs, grinders, hoagies, heros, po'boys... First time I went to a sub shop (in East Boston, Mass.) they were called submarine sandwich or a 'spucky'. lol

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I missed out on the spucky.

Now I'm getting hungry and I just finished dinner and a bowl.

Hmm... Me thinks the bowl may have something to do with the popularity of this thread in my mind...

I'm not sayin', just suspicious...

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
memorys...remember as a kids on special occasions(cant remember why i wasnt at school) mum would take me pizza hut for lunch...loved pizza and dont know why i didnt order that?..but must have tryed a sub there one day and from then on every visit i'd order a sub...on the side was served potatoe chips...used to love it and look forward to them!...eaten subway since then but not the same...not that i can remember what was in the pizza hut ones but i was addicted and a young child lol.HH. =]-~

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Down here in cajun country we call'em Po'boys....I eat at least 1 every week.

My favorite.......fried shrimp po'boy.......roast beef runs a close second.

johnny's po boy on st louis in the quarter...they make a "judge bosetta" holy shit thats a good sammich...tee eva's on mag. uptown makes a boudin ball po boy get it dressed!!!!

mag. st. poboy is the best in the city

Around here a we call them subs, and there is a specific sammich called the torpedo that is the bomb. It is ham, spiced ham, salami, white american cheese lettuce, red onion, tomato and italian salad dressing on a turano bread sub roll, the original footlong. Mmmm its a great The Italian U-boat is another great variation: prosciutto, capicolla, and genoa salami with the same salad on top, it is just heaven.

Thanks
Stagger

jefff

My home mades are..............

Baguette bottom (or french bread bottom) olive oil & oregano. (heavy both)
Layer of julienne sliced green peppers.
Bologna.
Sharp cheddar cheese.
Cotto salami.
Swiss cheese or mozzarella.
Hard salami.
Cucumber slices w/celery salt.
Tomatoes.
Sometimes a little shake of vinegar.
Thin sliced onions.
Baguette top (or french bread top) heavy olive oil and oregano.

If you have a Winco, their hoggie rolls are good also.

Not to forget Potato Chips, can't have one without these puppies.

bong_chat

I just saw this thread and had to comment. Jeff my man, you want to find one of those old style subs, I got the place for you. If you're ever in chi town again. On the corner of addison and western, not too far from wrigley field there's a little sub shop. It's named Hero's. Best subs in Chicago IMO. I think you'd find a lot of Chicagoans that agree.

There is something about that sub shop. The bread is a nice crusty bread. I believe Italian, but not sure. All fresh ingredients. Any time I make my way into the windy city, I have to stop there at least once. Beats the hell out of all the chain shops.

If you live there, try it. If you visit, make it a stop. You won't be disappointed.

jefff

That's the thing Subway, Quisos and others are missing. A lot of the sandwich is the bread. You can put anything on like Subway, but the soft airy bread just mushes the whole deal. Might as well put it in a blender.

Here in the Portland Or. area there's a place "Micheals Chicago Beef" Sandy & Burnside, anyway Mike has always had his bread made to his recipe from "Portland French Bread Co." and it does make a big difference.