What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where do you find your Zen?

coldcanna

Veteran
The world today is crazy. If you're not at work you thinking about it, or something you have to do around the house, etc. The news is depressing.

Everyday I walk my dog through the woods behind our house for at least an hour. It was snowing today which made it particularly quiet and beautiful. I dont know if anything in the world can provide me the peace that a long walk in the woods can. Sometimes I'll just sit on a stump or rock and listen to the wilderness. Sometimes I wonder if the wildlife has a better life than us. They just live every second as it comes without worry. Literally in the moment.

So that is where I find my heavan on earth. Just wondering about everyone else here.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
More than a few places really.

Underneath open sky.

Inside a grow room.

All alone.

With one I love.

On a porch with a bottle.

In the woods on mushrooms.

On a beach stone sober.

Under the stars.

Over a river.

The world is what we make it.

It isn't aware that it owes us anything.

I really respect that.

Zen could be anywhere.

Finding it isn't a matter of circumstance or locale.

It seems more of a matter of attitude.

Mick

Veteran
Blissing out in nature does it for me too, especially walking with dog or riding my bike up in the mountains around here. I've been reading a bit of the latest science on the relationships of plants, which suggests that it's not all survival of the fittist up there, but that the trees and plants are all connected and in communication with each other through their root systems via mycelium. Kinda the neural networks of the forest. Crazy stuff. Knowing I'm part of that connection deepens the experience.
Being present is always a buzz.
Contemplating space instead of what's in it. Example, when in the forest, instead of concentrating on the trees and plants, focusing on the space between them. It kind of brings it alive.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Right here where I've chosen to live, early on in life I knew that I had to live in the country; however it only became a reality as I fled NY and my life spiraling down the drain, an 8.5 year cocaine habit, most of it freebasing or crack.

This was my out, northern MN, as far away from any temptations as possible, I landed here on Aug 1st '88 and although I was sober for about 45 days before that date, I celebrate Aug 1st as my sobriety date, of course cannabis has helped carry me along the way both spiritually & medically.

30 years of keepin' my nose clean coming up, it's no doubt that I've found my Zen here.......

coldcanna

Veteran
Zen could be anywhere.

Finding it isn't a matter of circumstance or locale.

It seems more of a matter of attitude.

I agree that attitude is everything. That's been something I've been working on as a person as I go through the years. Trying to find joy in all the small things.

Its funny, life is so new and exciting and every day is an adventure when you're young. As you mature and settle into "adulthood" you kind of have this routine. Less exciting, but you start to appreciate small things like a summer drive down a dirt road drinking a beer with your spouse. Really listening to people and respecting them as humans. I've learned that most if not all people have some shit going on in their lives and constant stressors so I try not to pass judgment why they do what they do.

St. Phatty

Doing a bon-fire.

I usually burn about a 1000 pounds (if it were dry) at a time.

It's exhausting. I'm getting better at avoiding the smoke.

Basically, a 3 or 4 hour workout carrying wood up and down a steep hill.

It starts with carrying a sled of tools up the hill. Then it gets loaded with wood and tools for the trip down.

Soon the trick will be to not get run over by the sled when it's LOADED with wood.

Anyway, afterwards, there's nothing to do but take a hot bath, eat, watch the fire's ashes through a rifle scope or binoculars, eat some more.

Very Zen. Too tired to think !

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
I find my Zen out in nature. I go camping up in the mountains by lakes and trees. I hike trails with good views.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beer, joint, repeat as necessary.

I am most at peace reading (rare these days) or hiking (even more scarce).

Green Squall

Probably walking by the ocean with my IPOD on shuffle. Or sitting at my picnic table by the vegetable garden on summer evenings with a few beers.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
One should find zen in everything one does.

Most of the posts describe distractions from uncomfortable
life circumstances.

There is no problem with seeking solace from distress,
but if zen is to be embraced, then look for its lessons
in the things that make you uncomfortable as well.

I find my zen by searching for all the potential ways to zen.

But some bong rips and a single malt shared with you all would
do nicely any time.

Cheers!

Wendull C.

Veteran
Excuse my ignorance, what exactly does one consider zen?

Is it that feeling when im alone with a back pack and rifle tracking mule deer in my favorite desert mountains, or glassing them at 12000'?

I call that my church. As i never feel closer to god tham then.

For those that think I hunt just to kill, I hunt trophy mule deer. Only the biggest bucks will do. Usually a buck I have singled out and hunt for him and him alone.

I have not shot a deer with bow or rifle since 2010. Not that I dont have a xhance every time I go out, that was just the last trophy buck I took. One this year flat out made a fool of me all season. I have never had a better set of hunts than that smart old buck gave me this year.

I explain this only so you might understand me. If I didnt, most certainly would think they do.

Mick

Veteran
Excuse my ignorance, what exactly does one consider zen?

Is it that feeling when im alone with a back pack and rifle tracking mule deer in my favorite desert mountains, or glassing them at 12000'?

I call that my church. As i never feel closer to god tham then.

For those that think I hunt just to kill, I hunt trophy mule deer. Only the biggest bucks will do. Usually a buck I have singled out and hunt for him and him alone.

I have not shot a deer with bow or rifle since 2010. Not that I dont have a xhance every time I go out, that was just the last trophy buck I took. One this year flat out made a fool of me all season. I have never had a better set of hunts than that smart old buck gave me this year.

I explain this only so you might understand me. If I didnt, most certainly would think they do.

A mate of mine would get dropped off in the mountains around here with a few supplies and hunt deer with a compound bow, for a month or so at a time. One day he left the bow at the campsite and started just stalking animals for fun instead. Then he stopped taking the bow altogether and gave it to me. We set up some targets but the thing was so powerful we lost or broke all the arrows. Up in the mountains was his bliss. Funny how just about everyone get's theirs in nature.

Wendull C.

Veteran
A mate of mine would get dropped off in the mountains around here with a few supplies and hunt deer with a compound bow, for a month or so at a time. One day he left the bow at the campsite and started just stalking animals for fun instead. Then he stopped taking the bow altogether and gave it to me. We set up some targets but the thing was so powerful we lost or broke all the arrows. Up in the mountains was his bliss. Funny how just about everyone get's theirs in nature.

I have always called it church for me. No where are my thoughts or love for my family and close friends more on the surface than out in the middle of no where in the Mojave preserve, or the yampa river in Colorado.

I even send sappy messages at 4 am waiting for the sun to come up. They thought I was drunk dialing this year when I sent a message i meant to tell my ma and sis but can't verbalize unless I am out in my element.

Would that be a zen feeling?

Mick

Veteran
I have always called it church for me. No where are my thoughts or love for my family and close friends more on the surface than out in the middle of no where in the Mojave preserve, or the yampa river in Colorado.

I even send sappy messages at 4 am waiting for the sun to come up. They thought I was drunk dialing this year when I sent a message i meant to tell my ma and sis but can't verbalize unless I am out in my element.

Would that be a zen feeling?

Sounds good to me.
Sometimes when I'm feeling blissed up in the mountains I'll send silly little messages of love on the wind to close friends and family. So far nobody can remember recieving one. My feeling is that creating little bliss bombs like that can circle the planet and then maybe zap somone out of the blue. I don'd 100% believe that btw, but ya never know. And who knows what happens when 2 bliss bombs meet in space :biggrin:
To me, Zen is as simple as doing one thing at a time. Being in the moment
"'The word 'Zen' is the Japanese attempt at pronouncing the Chinese word 'Chan', which in turn is the Chinese attempt at pronouncing the Sanskrit word 'Dhyana', which translates as 'meditation'. ""

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Thanks Mick. I appreciate the knowledge. I tried to use good ol google, but got so many hits back I gave up. Thx again.

starke

On the Fatboy, on a two lane, with the too loud exhaust rattling the wax out of my ears.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i find zen or it finds me when the aches and pain of a strenuous job well done imposes a satisfaction that those pains were not in vain. if that can explain.
i used to despise the pain my employment caused, but since dropping out of society and not having an occupation, the pain morphed into pride.