What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My First (unintentional) Grow

devo6786

Hi guys, totally new to this forum, although I have browsed it in the past. I never attempted to grow before because of the legality. Now, since its legal in California, and a friend randomly gifted me three plants, I've decided to give it a shot for fun, with no expectation.

He gave me three plants a couple weeks ago. I just threw them on my balcony in the soil he gave me and watered them and called it a day. Like I said, I have no expectation. The plants aren't looking to good, Im pretty sure its because its cooled down quite a bit about a week ago. So, I decided to build a cheap and small grow box and bring them inside.

This is whats happening so far, advice would be great.

The box itself:
-The box I got in the Ikea As-is section for $10
-I got a door for it, with hinges for $5
-I will be putting my own top on once I get the lighting in the mail on Monday.
-I will also be adding mylar or something, although the box is white so -Im not to worried about that right away.
-Have timers on the way
-Have thermometer on the way.

Lighting:
Im going to go the CFL route, bulbs and splitters, etc are in the mail and will be at my door on Monday or Tuesday.

Soil:
Foxfarms soil

The plants themselves are tall, but do not have a lot of leaves, Im assuming its lack of efficient light?

Im still deciding what to do for a carbon filter to use. Any advice here? I dont live with my parents lol, but my condo shares walls with neighbors and I want to keep them happy. I have some time because I plan to veg for awhile to get these guys healthy again.

Anyway, just for shits and giggles, heres a couple photos of right when I got the box home. Still a lot to do, will update as this thing comes together in the upcoming week.

Attachments

• IMG_8642.jpg
    IMG_8642.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8644.jpg
    IMG_8644.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8643.jpg
    IMG_8643.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 30

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice. I hope you enjoy your first grow & continue producing your own.

Those white walls are perfect. No need for Mylar as the reflections will create hot spots (bright points of light) where white walls will help the light be more uniform across the whole canopy.

Athos

Most of us are using LED bulbs instead of CFL, with much better results. You should check Blynx thread.

devo6786

Ok, no mylar, was still up in the air about it, so thats good to hear.

Thanks! Ill check out the thread. Im only using CFLs for cost. If this all goes well this run I will definitely look into LEDs, trying to keep this first time as cost effective as possible.

Ordered some netting and started to tie these guys down to try to keep size in control.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Ok, no mylar, was still up in the air about it, so thats good to hear.

Thanks! Ill check out the thread. Im only using CFLs for cost. If this all goes well this run I will definitely look into LEDs, trying to keep this first time as cost effective as possible.

Ordered some netting and started to tie these guys down to try to keep size in control.

I think you'll be fine with CFLs, lots of people here use them with great efficiency. I wouldn't worry about going onto LEDs/HIDs just yet unless you really want too.

You've got some good soil; I've used FF Ocean Forest/Happy Frog for a lot of years with good results. Keep in mind that soil already has nutrients in it. Have you decided what nutrients you'd like to use? When you get into nutrients go with the mentality of "less is more" and start at a lower dose. It's always easier to add more later instead of adding to much and causing yourself problems. Don't overwater/overfeed, give them light, and you should have a fun little grow to enjoy!
:tiphat:

devo6786

I haven't been using an nutrients yet, I was told to wait a few weeks.

I also haven't even begun to research what I should use since I have a bit of time. Im definitely open to suggestions.

My next thing to figure out is what carbon filter and fan/exhaust to use. Ive been looking at the can-705 but am not sure if that is big enough for my grow space which id 21"X20"X9"

Athos

I think you'll be fine with CFLs, lots of people here use them with great efficiency. I wouldn't worry about going onto LEDs/HIDs just yet unless you really want too.

There seems to be a misunderstanding, we are referring to LED BULBS not led panels.

MrBungle

If you have a small desk fan or something, it wouldn't hurt to start circulating some air in the box. it will strengthen up the stem, and help with temps, among other things

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
thats a cool little set up you have there,man!
i can still remember the first little plants i grew way back in the day and how cool it was to grow my own smoke
so, are you going to flower in this same box?
how far along are you here, has it shown if its a female/male?
best of luck my brother! growing weed is fun

devo6786

thats a cool little set up you have there,man!
i can still remember the first little plants i grew way back in the day and how cool it was to grow my own smoke
so, are you going to flower in this same box?
how far along are you here, has it shown if its a female/male?
best of luck my brother! growing weed is fun

Hey! Thanks! Im a chick, just fyi :) Not that it matters, but it doesn't seem too many females are on this forum.

I do plan on flowering in this same box. I need to keep this as small as possible or my girlfriend will kill me.

Im not exactly sure how long they've been alive. Maybe a month? Ive started LST to keep them small as possible and get them to get bushier. I plan to veg another month, give or take, depending on when the plants are healthy. Gotta play it by ear at this point, Ill start flowering when Im happy with the plants.

They are female, they were clones.

devo6786

Litte update on getting this thing together. I forgot it was a holiday, so no mail= no lighting. This is going slower than I anticipated, but hopefully it'll be 100% complete by the end of this week.

Still looking for recommendations for a carbon filter. I need something that will get rid of allllll smell, unless I open the box, of course :)

Anyway, today I finally picked up hinges and put the door on. I spray painted the inside of the door white.

I got some wood for the top, haven't put it on yet because the white paint is drying at the moment. I also dont have a saw and its about 3 inches too big...so gotta figure that out, lol

Added a metal bar to the middle for my lights.

Started to light proof. Just need to get the door light proofed and its sealed.

Some photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_8658.jpg
    IMG_8658.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8659.jpg
    IMG_8659.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8660.jpg
    IMG_8660.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8661.jpg
    IMG_8661.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 28

devo6786

If you have a small desk fan or something, it wouldn't hurt to start circulating some air in the box. it will strengthen up the stem, and help with temps, among other things

I dont have one, but ill pick one up tomorrow for the meantime. Thanks!

devo6786

The cab is almost done. Just waiting on the carbon filter/fan.

I ended up getting way more than I needed and got the Phresh 200 CFM with a 4" hurricane inline. I also got the controller for it. Not sure how Im gonna fit it all in, but going to have to make it work.

The plant that was really sick seems to be doing much better. Still not 100%. I started lst, well see how that goes too, since I have no idea what Im really doing. :biggrin:

I added a 4"x8" passive intake to the bottom corner. The filter will go on the other side, somehow. After I get the filter I just need to install that and the fan, connect the lighting to its permanent place and screw on the lid.

At this point its 100% light proof. It won't be soundproof, but sound isn't a huge issue as its in a guest room. Just need it not to smell like weed in my house.

I also got some seedyyy weed from a dispensary - bummer, but then I tried to germinate 6 seeds. And they all took..so planted those today and well see which of those survive.

Pics:

Attachments

• IMG_8739.jpg
    IMG_8739.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8738.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8737.jpg
    IMG_8737.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8736.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 22

devo6786

One more photo of everything working. Cant wait to get the filter and fan to finish this up

Attachments

• IMG_8743.jpg
    IMG_8743.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 23