What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not sure what to expect with this curing

Dysasha

So, to be clear, I dont smoke weed, but I have been exposed to alot of street type weeds, and havnt smelled or seen anything decent since the 80's. I will sample some , a puff or two from time to time ( 2-3 a year) looking for flavors and qualities. I am doing my first perpetual harvest and the first batch has been dried, and is curing now. Everything has gone off without a hitch except one thing. It doesnt smell like it did when it was growing. During weeks 3-7 of flowering , this strain (strawberry kush) was sickly sweet, deep and overwhelming, almost would take your breath away. it also made you crave it, like, deep inside your soul. The last two weeks this faded and was replaced by a more generic cannabis type smell, which turned briefly haylike during drying, then returned when the curing started. Its been curing now for 4 weeks, feels right, dry wise, and everyone who sees or smells it is amazed. But its not what I was hoping for. I dried the plants whole, untrimmed for 6 days in a dry room with 55% humidity and 73 degree temps until the smaller stems would almost snap, but not quite when you bent them, I then trimmed and jarred them with Boveda packs for a week to make sure the humidity was correct, burped daily for 10 seconds. I then removed the boveda packs and let them sit un burped for three weeks just checking the feel and smell briefly once a week. Any help would be appreciated.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Boveda packs ruin taste and smell imo. I can always tell a boveda freshened pack and wont buy em. Use integra boost pack 2 to a pound until they are revitalized. Only after they have been in the turkey bag with the nug over a month can i taste that they were there. That imo. Others say they see or smell no difference.

I have grown the same og forever and know it like an old girl friend. Bovedas affect the taste to me, and i know what it should taste like.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Another note. If you have a veg room that gets hot and humid, open your packs for the night cycle and let them sit. That is the best way i have found to reinvigorate dry pounds. If one cycle doesnt work, try two. Or if in a hurry add 4 or so fresh big fan leaves for 6 or 8 hours. That works like a charm and its cannabis so no off tastes.

You can only add fresh leaves once or twice, then the smell starts to go on you.

Dysasha

I get the feeling you guys just skimmed over the thread, and commented on a singular item without actually reading any details, no offense, I appreciate the attempt at help, but neither of these are the problem. The cannabis wasn't overdried before going into cure, and the boveda packs where present less than seven days to stabilize only, seven days isn't enough time to cause any flavor/smell issues or loss, besides, as the post pointed out, I lost that two weeks before harvest. I was hoping it would return with the cure but didnt.

Wendull C.

Veteran
No i read it. I told you how i would revitalize weed thst has lost its smell and a way not to use boveda packs ever again. I have cured alot of weed and hand trim. Sometimes trimmers call in, get paid and dont come back because dry trim is a bitch and im a pain to trim for. Either way i end up w weed too dry and losing smell quite often. Those techniques bring it back for me.

Might be a strain that stinks until cut and the smell changes a bit due to chlorophyll and maybe some drying issues. My weed never smells like hay. If it does i fucked up. Good luck man. If your people like it, whats wrong?

THC123

Veteran
Classical jar curing does not work well for every strain.

The smells change in the jar and monoterpenes are converted to sesquiterpens, which will change the smell of the weed.

I know exactly what you mean with the buds still smelling good according to your friends. Bt according to you it has lost it's initial intense smell, right?

To solve this you need to look at different curing methods.

I believe in strain- specific curing. For example sssdh ojd cut or frisian dew are strains that cure really well in jars. You don't lose the initial smell and it only gets stronger.

But strains like amnesia or sweet pink grapefruit lose their magic smell in jars. They still smell good but the smell totallty changes.

For strains like these, to keep those initial smells, you need to look at curing in vacuum bags(mylar) or freezing or a combination of both.

If you freeze you cannabis at a certain point and package it well in mylar, the weed will not dry out and it will become even better over time in the freezer. And even years later, you will still have the loud smells and smooth taste. ANd the trichs won't fall off if you store it correctly and don't move it.

Try to think out of the box. To be honest I only use jar curing for about 25% of my harvest. The rest is vacuum or frozen or both. The more time goes by, the less I like jars. I mainly use jars to slow the drying process, but I don't leave the buds in there for too long and I almost never keep the jar closed to avoid starting up the sweating and curing process. There are just some strains that I cure for like 6-9 months in jars at 62 - 64 % RH but those are only a handful. I just like the fresh loud smells and jar curing is not the best way to retain those fresh smells.

Boveda packs are only a simple salt solution (in a semi-permeable membrane) which absorbs or releases H2O depending on the humidity. I have found they have no negative effect on the smell of dried or cured buds whatsoever.

From experience, I have found the best way to dry buds is on the branches after removing only the large leaves. When the buds feel dry but the stems don't crack I trim them off and dry for another day. Then I will bag them up but I will check them several times a day initially, and usually have to take them out for further drying at least once or twice - if they are not at optimal dryness when sealed they can lose smell after sweating. Once they are ready I will seal them up with a Boveda and they stay in pristine condition with beautiful terps for many months.

For long term storage, I would use a vacuum pack as exposure to oxygen will slowly reduce the quality of the buds.