What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

List of different Soil Mixes---Soil Directory

UsualSuspect

Veteran
Good Job Joe Fresh!

I have been using this mix for a few years and it has been doing well for me, dont know the exact breakdown in Parts or percentages but here she goes pretty simple.

1 Bale Pro-Mix BX
1 4.0 Cu Mother Earth Size 4 Extra Chunky Perlite
1 30lb Wiggle Worm EWC

Thats it if someone could breakdown the math on that I would appreciate it. Here goes a pic minus the the wiggle worm, I was trying a new cheaper EWC company at the time of this pic. Lets just say I am back to wiggle worm.

TB Gardens

Veteran
I just want to say again what a great thread this is - nice job Joe!

So many great looking mixes in here, I can't wait to play around with some. Probably start with Blazes citric acid & cane sugar feedings, I've wanted to work citrus acid into my mix for a while now, glad I found the recipe!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great write of Joe. I use 2 bags of FFOF to 1 bag of Light warrior as my Flowering mix. My Seedlings get Happy frog mixed with light warrior. There's so many different recipes that work well. I have used this mix for years now.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my neutral base medium can be added:

Makes a standard 1.5 cu ft amount so roughly 11g

3g local organic nursery / potting soil (unfertilized)
2.5g peat moss
1.5g coco coir
3g aeration amendment (permatil, chunky perlite, lava rock, etc)
1g EWC

And as always, use a proper respiratory protection when working around organics and fine dust particles...

This can be amended however you chose...with any of the many feeding recipes or liquid nutrients...whatever floats your boat! It is just a very solid / stable and flexible base medium.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Then you could add Phillthy's mix...which was a variant of Blazeoneup's organic soil mix:

1 bale Pro Mix Bx
2 Bags FFOF
2c Bone meal
2c Blood meal
2c Dolomite Lime
added chunky perlite to liking
EWC - roughly 5g (I might have added this too...lol)
+ 2c Kelp meal (my addition)
+ 1c Seabird Guano (my addition)

Just water...or you can use P/K "boosters" (usually 3/5wk) as needed

dank.Frank

Blaze215

Which mix would you guys recommend for Outdoor smart pots in the 50-100 gallon range?

We are going to be doing a bunch of them this year and I really want them to be as organic as possible.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
Which mix would you guys recommend for Outdoor smart pots in the 50-100 gallon range?

We are going to be doing a bunch of them this year and I really want them to be as organic as possible.

not quite sure, but i would choose something that is rich in different components so you have a full aray of nutes availible at any time...look through the list im sure you will find something good

redrut

Bio Henkie’s Method:

Soil beds, 9 plants per sq m, 5% old soil re-used to carry over bacteria, soil matured for at least 3 months before planting- the longer the better, lets worms loose to aerate and fertilise

Soil:

10 ingredients, very vague
Phosphate-“living phosphate”, a granulate from Italy from fermented grape pulp, fast acting plus bone meal, slow acting
Potassium- vinasse, sugar beet remains plus others not specified
Worm castings
Bacterial strains
Compost

Comments from Bio Henkie:

Just-fertilised soil burns plants
Natural (rock?) phosphate does not dissolve readily in soils unless they are too acidic and contains a lot of cadmium which is poisonous and undesirable.
Recommends foliar feeding (carcinogens?) or root feeding with sea weed extract or guano over acidifying water for deficiencies and long flowering varieties
A&B fertilisers disturb biological life and do more harm than good

I'm using Aurora Innovations Buddha Grow/Bloom. I'm not sure I follow on how
A&B fertilisers disturb biological life and do more harm than good

gratefulart

W.O. mother fn W!!!! I am a super nube to organic soil mixes and have been searching around for a simple but good one to do with Promix HP. Very detalied and extensive thread for a beginner. Learned a whole lot. Thanks a bunch for all the time and effort put into this one J Fresh.
Stay Grateful :thank you:

marian123

I need your help . I will make a vegetative soil mix and flowering soil mix feed only with water and some compost tea , all for indoor growing . I need your opinion about what can change or what is wrong .

Vegetative soil mix (put in this mix seedling in 2gallon smart pot)

90L biobizz light mix
10L worm casting
20g seeweed meal
90g basalt meal
15g guano peru
10g epsom salt
60g lime

This soil can be too strong for seedling , if not is enought to provide nutrients for full vegetative stage ? Guano peru is 1/2 from recomandated dosage , in this case is to strong to use , i ask because is only source of N ?

Flower soil mix (tranplant in 3 gallon smart pot)

90L biobizz light mix
10L worm casting
400g guanokalong
60g bone meal
30g guano peru
60g seeweed meal
150g basalt meal
10g epsom salt
80g lime

This soil can be too strong for flowering ? Is necesary between vegetative soil mix and flower soil mix a light soil to adaptate plant for your need .

Thanks

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
personally i would never mix salt into the soil(epsom salt)....immediately absorbable by the plant and its a salt, so either plant eats it all immediately or the saltjust sits in the soil as an extra salt...watering with salts is one thing, mixing them in your soil is another imo

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
This is my mix.

20% vermic (nutes inside)
50% coco chips/coco coir
10% perlite
20% local bagged potting soil

Mix, does not need nutes initially cos of the nutes in the vermic.
Very light but still holds a bit of water so you don't have to water every day when it gets bigger.

Sometimes I sprinkle stones on top of the soil in the pot to make a bit of a covering although I don't know why I do this.

marian123

RECIPE #2
If you want to use guano in your soil mix...

Bongaloids guano mix
1/3C hi N guano per gallon
1/2C hi Phos guano per gallon
1TBS Jersey greensand per gallon
1TBS Kelp meal per gallon

RECIPE #3 (My favorite)
If you want to use guano tea and kelp...

Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nute tea mix-
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
1-cup earthworm castings/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering

Veg mix-
1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Liquid Karma
@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

Flowering nute tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
5 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
@ 2 cups/5 gallons of water EVERY watering.
You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Tell 'em you use them for paint strainers. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it. If you find you are making too much tea and having to throw it out, use 2 1/2 gallons of water and cut the nute amount by half.

1) Can feed direct with this compost tea with nutrient (guano with N and guano with P) ori diluate to water liek 1:2 , 1:5 ?

2) At outdoor this my is use for every water or at 3 feeding ? (you say "@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering. " and i don;t what know .

Konaboy

need help with underground warehouse grow

need help with underground warehouse grow

I need some help, were setting up a large underground grow 100 feet by 200 feet 2 floors and i could use some help with design and lots of other stuff. My pat experience was all outdoors in Aloha land.

We have very secure and safe place with no distractions. I will need help on lighting, ventilations, etc