What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to actually pollenate

FarmerGreen

So I've got a small plant that I want to self pollenate after spraying with colloidal silver. I'm about 2 weeks away from flipping to 12/12, so probably about a week away from spraying with CS.
Just wondering when do I actually pollenate? The moment I harvest the pollen or do I need the plant to develop further?

JLP

Veteran
After pollenation you need about 30 more days to create viable seed,so when to pollenate depends on the flowering time of your strain.

JLP

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
You can start anytime but, if you wait a bit, you'll have more flowers to produce more seeds. Once it goes to seed, that's all it wants to do.

In the wild, male weed is no different than any other guy. All it's really interested in is getting: up, in, off and out. On average, they mature faster than girls and many, in their hardwired need to be first, release pollen well before female flowers even start. Outside, this means that males too eager, and those too patient, get locked out of the gene pool.

I suspect immediate pollination would reduce seed count. But, given a choice, it's what the plant would choose to do. It's part of why weed has thrived over the centuries.

FarmerGreen

OK, thanks for the info. Because I'm selfing do you think I'll be able to wait a bit to let the flowers mature.

I"m sure it'll be pretty apparent to me as its happening but I thought I should try and be a bit prepared

I too am under the impression that 4 week's is about right, for mature seeds. And there for would be more ideall to pollenate at around week 4/5 of flowering...

This worked for me good so far.

Peace Tc

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
If you were to just pollinate the lower branches, could you wait until a few weeks before you harvest and then pollinate them, and just leave those branches on the plant until the seeds mature? A plant surely isn't going to die if you harvested 2 weeks later, so would it not be able to continue making seeds if your harvested the buds off the plants? I'm planning on making seeds my next run so this is a good question, thanks! :wave:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Im not an expert but if you polinate the lower branches and harvest as long as you keep um in the 12/12 cycle I think they will mature fine. I wouldnt do it too late tho cuz once hairs turn brown they cant take poline, try get them lower branches like 2-4 weeks before harvest might be ideal... ooh yeah... you said 2 weeks... uh, yep.