What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watering seedling & small plants from below.

Treevly

My 2" to 4" little critters need water but don't seem to like the surface of the peaty soil getting wet, as it tends to cause the stalks go get a bit yellowish instead of their natural purpleish. Is it good practice to put the plants in plastic pots (with holes) and them sit in a bit of water? That way all the watering is from the bottom. It works with my rubber tree :<) as it sucks up as much water as it needs, but I'm not sure that it would work in this situation.
Thanks

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
You will probably rot the roots doing that.

Young cannabis plants do not have the roots nor transpiration power of a rubber tree.

I am confused as to why your soil is damaging their stems at the surface.

Is it staying too moist there and causing some pathogenic issue?

gorilla ganja

I have watered from the bottom before with no problems if done right.
Sit the dry pots in water till they soak up what they need, 1/2 hr or so.
Then take them out of water. Wait till they need water again and repeat.

Do not leave them in water.

Peace GG

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I start my seedlings in peat pots sitting in water for 4-6 weeks until they go out. If they're in longer, they get transplanted to bigger pots, again watered from the bottom.

The important thing is your soil. It has to be very airy/hydrophobic, yet retain some water. If it retains too much water, the soil on top will end up with mossy. Not a big issue if they're due to go out soon, but not good if you have another 2 weeks to go. They won't die, but they'll struggle, and you'll get some damping off early on. Stay away from "seed starter" if you're going to use the wicking method.

I mix 4/5 PromixHP and 1/5 Coco. If I only have PromixBX, I'll cut it with lots of perlite and coco. Wicks the water, but not to the extent that it's always sopping wet.

I had 350 good plants go out last year. I'm going for triple that this year.

picture.php

picture.php

Treevly

od.

I mix 4/5 PromixHP and 1/5 Coco. If I only have PromixBX, I'll cut it with lots of perlite and coco.

I looked at that product, and I like it except the Ph adjusters, which head in the direction of alkaline. The soil here is relatively alkaline, I don't want it more so. The perlite and mycorrhizae, however, sound very attractive for this gig. Can mycorrhizae be bought on its own?

Betterhaff

Veteran
I assume that "seed starter" is a soil mix, but I'm not sure.
A lot of times “seed starters” can be a soil less mix, check contents (for peat, etc.).

I water from the bottom all the time just dump excess after a while. Cannabis doesn’t like wet feet in soil but will tolerate it for a while.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
^ I haven't check. I will now.
The question was if mycorrhizae can be bought on its own. It can. Great White seems to be the popular choice, but I find it very expensive.

I use Myke when I dig and amend the holes. I'm digging and amending this weekend. Plants will go out in 3-4 weeks.

YukonKronic

^ I haven't check. I will now.
The question was if mycorrhizae can be bought on its own. It can. Great White seems to be the popular choice, but I find it very expensive.

I use Myke when I dig and amend the holes. I'm digging and amending this weekend. Plants will go out in 3-4 weeks.

Yup it was... didn’t mean to bug you was just something I came across once and thought I would share.. I agree great white is pretty expensive. I figured considering the volume of plantings you do it might be cheaper to just use promix...even over myke. Provided my stoner memory is even correct :biggrin:
far be from me to think I really have a clue how to do what you do though.... I never planted that many plants let alone outdoors!
Good luck in coming season :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
NP. I was just clarifying for people just walking into the convo. I get like that when I'm buzzed. lol

I make a really hot soil to amend with and it does include a promix (vegetable & herb). I add Myke because, well... as an addict, more is better right? lol.

This is the amendment soil I make (the base mix). I also add chicken pellets and 10 cups of rolled oats (big flakes).
One cup per hole seems to work for me.
[iframe1]ju6TDrMJxWU[/iframe1]

Latest posts

Latest posts