What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Failed drugs test at work

GGNo2

Hi guys,
I'm absolutely devastated at the moment.
After a long spell of being unemployed due to mental health reasons I finally picked myself up and started looking for work.

A week into job search I landed an amazing job opportunity. I was a team leader in training for a company here in UK that makes prefabricated concrete buildings.
The pay, the people and the role was awesome.
I couldn't believe this job had landed in my lap especially with my shady work history but I seemed to have blown them away at both interviews and before I had even started work I got a telephone call to tell me I was being made team leader.
I have never been promoted before especially before I had even started work.

Now I knew they drug tested randomly 3 times a year at least. With knowledge of this I quit smoking cannabis days before I started work.
It was hard, I was waking up hourly with sweats.
I was so tired but I was determined not to risk my new job.

I started Monday and the 1st day was great, yesterday was only my second day and after only 2 hours I got called up to office.
I had been randomly selected along with a few others to be tested.
My heart bottomed out.
The lady who ran the test was from an outside company. She explained she was given a list of employees numbers and she selects at random a group of number. Unfortunately my number was one.
Needless to say I failed on thc.
I was sent home.

Ive been in bits since, I'm still not smoking and I've barely slept. I'm finding things really hard mentally and feel like running head first into a wall.

My life finally seemed to be coming together and to have it snatched away from me so soon seems so unfair.

Ive asked my doctor for my medical history because it was a brain injury and ptsd I used cannabis to help with.
My plan is to take it to the manager with a letter from myself explaining the circumstances and that I was never under the influence while working or even after work since I started the job.

It just seems like the universe is working against me at the moment and I'm in a hole.

Not even sure why I'm making this thread, maybe I'm just after some words of comfort or advice from a group of people who may understand better than the people around me.

Mart

I feel for you bro..but at the end of the day it's happened,sorry if thats hard.
Acceptance is the key to all things.
Your head is possibly racing from no smoke..so it's happened..have a smoke and chill-go for a walk,go fishing whatever but sitting staring at it wil not change it.
I have been told that sitting on the pity pot just gives me a ring on my ass and nothing else but wasted time.
Dont be hard on yourself or life,move on to where you should be.
Peace

GGNo2

I feel for you bro..but at the end of the day it's happened,sorry if thats hard.
Acceptance is the key to all things.
Your head is possibly racing from no smoke..so it's happened..have a smoke and chill-go for a walk,go fishing whatever but sitting staring at it wil not change it.
I have been told that sitting on the pity pot just gives me a ring on my ass and nothing else but wasted time.
Dont be hard on yourself or life,move on to where you should be.
Peace

I feel that, I understand that. It's just a tough pill to swallow

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In the USA, many companies will give you a second chance to pass. Usually they'll put you on the list for 30 days from now. Some will simply fire you.

No sense depositing worry in the bank, wait till you hear from them. I hope it turns out well for you.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Got to keep the urine luck in your boot and the heating pad in the other. Best advice I can give after fucking up a 2000 dollar a week net land surveying job.

Bitch was I passed naturally a week before.

Hard pill to swallow, especially when you know it was all your fault and you disappointed your family.

Best of luck in the future op.

usda101

Yeah i can relate man . Went to truck driving school back in the late 90s , already had my permit and paid out of pocket for the training . Hadn't smoked in couple months still failed piss test , it went on Dac report and that dream came to a end so i feel your pain .

GGNo2

Ya it's a bummer but I've done all I can to fight or the job now. My recruitment agent and the manager of the site are both going to try and help defend me against corporate.

I typed up a letter from myself explaining I had refrained from using cannabis since I started the job because the job meant so much to me. I had a letter from my doctor explaining my brain injury, the blood clot and the ptsd.
How the medication and mental health teams didn't seem to improve my condition. How after 2013 I stopped seeking help.
That's because I started smoking weed. I truly do believe the stuff saved my life. I was in a bad place and doing crazy stuff.
Started smoking and I don't know how to explain it apart from it just helped me get on with life, it leveled me out.

Anyway took the letters into the office, the manger had a read. Said its brilliant evidence and he will do his best for me.
I just feel better because I didn't sit back and take it. I've done all I could possibly do.
I spoke to my agent and he's really supportive too and understands cannabis does help it's just we live in the UK where its still considered the devil's cabbage by the majority.
He said even if the company don't take me back he will find me similar employment elsewhere. So the sky is still blue and the earth is still revolving lol.

Cheers for the words guys, I'm still going to be growing no matter what. Growing still brings me peace. Its like meditating for an hour a day.

GGNo2

I am so glad for you buddy,each day is a gift..the present.
ATB
:)

Cheers fella. Your comments yesterday picked me right up. Everyone in my life was tip toeing around me but I needed to be told straight. Sort ya shit out lol

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can relate... I've been trying to get a job myself and it's difficult doing interviews after not having to do any for about 20 years. I recently was sent to piss for a job and failed it as well. Even after using some detox/cover up drink (never again). Now I've got a bottle of FETISH URINE for the next time I've got a quiz.

Yeah i can relate man . Went to truck driving school back in the late 90s , already had my permit and paid out of pocket for the training . Hadn't smoked in couple months still failed piss test , it went on Dac report and that dream came to a end so i feel your pain .
What's a Dac report? I've been considering going to trucking school...

Hydro8

I had a job once that would drug test in any accident situation. I had to be on the road most of the day in a busy city. If someone backed into me, rear ended me, whatever I would lose my job. So I treated the job as expendable. After a while the job(like all jobs) got jaded and I found something better.

Companies drug test to Save money on insurance & Extract themselves from be reliable in case of an accident. Some industries find substantial savings in this type of behavior, when you play along you are enabling them and empowering them.

Many industries in the US are full of talented people who refuse to pee in a jar and.. companies in these industries do not survive giving drug tests.

We are talking about tossing out and signing away are rights as humans to be free of illegal searches and giving a company the power to violate us in the most invasive search.

usda101

I can relate... I've been trying to get a job myself and it's difficult doing interviews after not having to do any for about 20 years. I recently was sent to piss for a job and failed it as well. Even after using some detox/cover up drink (never again). Now I've got a bottle of FETISH URINE for the next time I've got a quiz.

What's a Dac report? I've been considering going to trucking school...

The*DAC report*provides information on the period of service, equipment operated, loads hauled, driver status and experience, reason for leaving, rehire eligibility, number of accidents with accident detail, drug and alcohol histories including pre-employment test results, and truck driving school performance records. Im cool now tho , the offense comes off after 7-10 years. I recently requested a copy of mine and it was clean .

usda101

Study the cdl booklet front to back , Take practice test daily online and go get your permit . You have multiple chances to pass the written test , which is multiple choice questions on a touch screen. Even if u fail u show up at school with some knowledge. Watch some videos on air brakes and there components , being able to visualize things help when your starting from scratch .

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Drug Testing @ My Company - If Only

Drug Testing @ My Company - If Only

I've stated this before, and I will state it once again.

If I was the owner of a large company, and you passed the drug test, you're fired !!!!..... :biggrin:

RMS

:smoweed:

Mattbho

Im so glad im Canadian. I thought only u s fucked with workers over some thc.
Op cant your doctor recommend you continue your cannabis use . Dont you have any rights to whaymt treatment you follow? Surely there must be people prescribed thc for various ailments .

I get the whole fire and hire mentality but they mustve seen something in you to promote you. Please update this tho im curious what will happen

I work in a large factory ill take a stoner over an alcoholic or oxy/prescription addicted worker any day.

GGNo2

I've stated this before, and I will state it once again.

If I was the owner of a large company, and you failed the drug test, you're fired !!!!..... :biggrin:

RMS

:smoweed:

Hehe seems a strange statement to be made on this forum of all places.. Or has it gone over my head. I never went to work high and thats the problem with these types of tests. Maybe if they used blood samples to test it would be different. Apparently bloods only show a few hours after a smoke. So if you test positive while at work then you're working under the influence which is unacceptable in most jobs. Putting colleagues at risk that is.

I will update once I know what's happening but like I say for now I've done all I can. I'm OK with the idea I've lost the job now. I was just mad at myself at the time. Im going to give it till Monday if I ain't heard anything I will move on to the next job. I really want to work now. I know I'm ready to move on

Latest posts

Latest posts