What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shutting down for 2 weeks. Need an IMP

Well folks I’ve decided to shut down for two weeks due to root aphids and not being able to control them. They caused havoc and were pretty much killing my ladies. I really felt bummed out and like a total failure.

I’m looking for tips and help in creating a cleaning system and a good IMP when I introduce some new ladies in the grow room. Here’s what Im going to do so far... please contribute any input

STERILIZATION AND SANITATION
-throw away everything that can be replaced... pots, old nutrients, fans, dehumidifier, sticks, ect

-peroxide and white vinegar an empty room and put anything I plan to keep (after cleaning them w peroxide and white vinegar) reservoir, pumps, co2, etc

-GROW ROOM —> bomb w a Pyrethrin fogger. Next day wipe down walls, hoods, inside hoods with peroxide and white vinegar. Bleach floor. Be careful w bleach and vinegar... not a good combo

-let room dry out and then turn on lights full blast w CO2 for 24 hours. Turn off all fans and exhaust fans. Heat blast!!!

-Following day... repeat cleaning process w peroxide and white vingar.

Now once I introduce my new ladies I need a good IMP or at least 3 modes of action

IMP
- using ogbiowar root Foliar Pack every 7-10 days
-introduce from the beginning nematodes
???
???
???

So that’s what I got so far. My room will be empty for two weeks starting today. Please contribute anything and everything!! I’m so down and discouraged. This has been hell for the past year. Please be safe and always clean. Root aphids are the worst

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like your got all the bases covered buttercup,,bombing the room between runs is a must do,,
I would concentrate on the medium you will use next and clones that you receive or you have,,
If there all good plus your clean up then you should be good,,
Pretty sure others will pop along with there “ pearls of wisdom”
All the very best,,,
Peace and regards 944s2

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
I think you are on the right track, I'd maybe shut down for an extra week or two just to be safe, check out their life cycle and make sure that is disrupted.

I've battled Root Aphids before and they are not so terrible to get rid of compared to spider mites... Full sanitation, bleach, new soil and wash pots, plus some down time should be enough to get rid of them fuckers...

I'd also load up on the predatory mites once you reset just to give an extra level of security... Dealing with pests is a real Pain in the ass, best of luck....

Well folks I’ve decided to shut down for two weeks due to root aphids and not being able to control them. They caused havoc and were pretty much killing my ladies. I really felt bummed out and like a total failure.

I’m looking for tips and help in creating a cleaning system and a good IMP when I introduce some new ladies in the grow room. Here’s what Im going to do so far... please contribute any input

STERILIZATION AND SANITATION
-throw away everything that can be replaced... pots, old nutrients, fans, dehumidifier, sticks, ect

-peroxide and white vinegar an empty room and put anything I plan to keep (after cleaning them w peroxide and white vinegar) reservoir, pumps, co2, etc

-GROW ROOM —> bomb w a Pyrethrin fogger. Next day wipe down walls, hoods, inside hoods with peroxide and white vinegar. Bleach floor. Be careful w bleach and vinegar... not a good combo

-let room dry out and then turn on lights full blast w CO2 for 24 hours. Turn off all fans and exhaust fans. Heat blast!!!

-Following day... repeat cleaning process w peroxide and white vingar.

Now once I introduce my new ladies I need a good IMP or at least 3 modes of action

IMP
- using ogbiowar root Foliar Pack every 7-10 days
-introduce from the beginning nematodes
???
???
???

So that’s what I got so far. My room will be empty for two weeks starting today. Please contribute anything and everything!! I’m so down and discouraged. This has been hell for the past year. Please be safe and always clean. Root aphids are the worst

Ogbiowar foliar pack works good with other bennies but if your whole purpose of using it is to prevent aphids I would suggest met 52 and botanigard. Both are selective fungus to prevent and attach aphids. I inoculate my medium with each at different times in veg and never seen an aphid. Also keeping the grow room clean is a top priority. Good luck with your battle, ra's are the worst.

Ogbiowar foliar pack works good with other bennies but if your whole purpose of using it is to prevent aphids I would suggest met 52 and botanigard. Both are selective fungus to prevent and attach aphids. I inoculate my medium with each at different times in veg and never seen an aphid. Also keeping the grow room clean is a top priority. Good luck with your battle, ra's are the worst.

Thanks! I didn’t know met 52 was a fungus. I was planning on throwing some bonitigard in the mix as well early on in veg.

I really hope the cleaning does the job. But I’m not taking any gambles I’m loading up on the goodies

I think you are on the right track, I'd maybe shut down for an extra week or two just to be safe, check out their life cycle and make sure that is disrupted.

I've battled Root Aphids before and they are not so terrible to get rid of compared to spider mites... Full sanitation, bleach, new soil and wash pots, plus some down time should be enough to get rid of them fuckers...

I'd also load up on the predatory mites once you reset just to give an extra level of security... Dealing with pests is a real Pain in the ass, best of luck....

Where you able to get rid of them permanently?

Looking to buy some Met52 EC (liquid) after doing some research on it... is this a one time application? Or would I have to keep applying it? Thanks for any input

ozzieAI

Veteran
FYI...i was able to get rid of RA by using pure neem oil mixed with a wetting agent and watering it into the soil/medium, it took less than a week for me to see improvements in my plants...i water with neem once a week or so to keep the buggers at bay...

good luck...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i don't have experience with root aphids, but by their name it sounds like you problem is medium and clone related, so using hard core chemicals on your mums and exchanging all the medium in the location should do the trick. starting with new genetics is always good too, as long as the new stuff doesn't bring in more issues.

it always amazes me how easy things can be when things are running smoothly and how damn hard it can get when these unusual problems crop up. thinking of the threads abut broad mites for example. or pm. on the other hand with healthy plants you can get away with a single dunking of the cuts in spinosad and need nothing else to finish the run. while others are spraying their plants with milk every 3 days and neem every week and what ever the fuck else lol. i hate spraying plants, i always feel i failed some how if things get to the point where i have to spray my plants. although with mums it's unavoidable to spray and even replace regularly.

i don't have experience with root aphids, but by their name it sounds like you problem is medium and clone related, so using hard core chemicals on your mums and exchanging all the medium in the location should do the trick. starting with new genetics is always good too, as long as the new stuff doesn't bring in more issues.

it always amazes me how easy things can be when things are running smoothly and how damn hard it can get when these unusual problems crop up. thinking of the threads abut broad mites for example. or pm. on the other hand with healthy plants you can get away with a single dunking of the cuts in spinosad and need nothing else to finish the run. while others are spraying their plants with milk every 3 days and neem every week and what ever the fuck else lol. i hate spraying plants, i always feel i failed some how if things get to the point where i have to spray my plants. although with mums it's unavoidable to spray and even replace regularly.

Exactly right!! No pests no pm ———-> no problem. Crazy how things change once a problem presents itself.

Latest posts

Latest posts