What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf expression pattern by varietal?

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Cannabis is often described according to leaf morphology. For example

number of blades or fingers on each fan leaf (1,3,5,7,11)
color
thin or wide
serrations, etc.

How useful is leaf shape in knowing a cultivar? Are leaf prints similar to fingerprints?

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
It's good for recognition/description but no, it's not like a finger print. It's an expression from a limited pool of potential alleles.

The entire genome of a plant could be analogous to a finger print but leaf shape and blade count are just small parts of that.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Resin content, flowering time, yield, nature and strength of effect. These are all parameters which can be described quantitatively and qualitatively to some extent. Characterizing cannabis has subjective and objective components. I'm curious how much information can be gained from leaf prints.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A genome is analogous to a genome. A fingerprint is like a leaf print.

You may be correct in this assumption but keep in mind that fingerprints are individual to each individual.

I won't say no two are alike but I will say that they cannot be used for variety identification purposes. Prints are NOT heritable. Using such would be akin to using your mothers fingerprint to identify you or your children.

Sunshineinabag

Leaf prints sound fun to play with! Why not take this all further by asking......does the stem of these leaves play a role in this?

Betterhaff

Veteran
I used have a collection of pressed cannabis leaves, many were framed and mounted. Lost most of them in a flood.

I was always amazed at the variation.

Sunshineinabag

I opened dads Molly hatchet album one year on,y to see a fuken sativa fan leave that rivals a full size frisbee! This plant was way better off when it was cared for by hippies!

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
You may be correct in this assumption but keep in mind that fingerprints are individual to each individual.

I won't say no two are alike but I will say that they cannot be used for variety identification purposes. Prints are NOT heritable. Using such would be akin to using your mothers fingerprint to identify you or your children.

You are correct, this comparison is more accurate. Leaf shape might help predict the general ancestry of the plant instead of distinguishing individuals.

Such information seems useful to have with or without complementary genetic data.

Latest posts

Latest posts