What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hell On Earth...Australian wildfires

H

Hal

Here's wishing all our Aussie brothers and sisters the best luck while dealing with the inferno blazing its way through your country.

I have seen some reporting on the news, folks who have lost numerous neighbors and friends, its gut-wrenching. :badday:

Anybody who hasn't heard about these fires, here is a link:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-australia-fire10-2009feb10,0,3050438.story

Its not much relief, but you guys should know that there are millions around the world sending thoughts of hope and recovery your way.

And now we are hearing that these fires have been started by arson.:fsu:

I have heard that the North Eastern are of Australia has been hit with the exact opposite and are drowning in record floods... It's a shame those storms didn't go near the fire.

Too all you Aussies good luck and come out alive wherever you are.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've been thinking bout Smoking Moose & hoping all was cool with him & his crib.......

H

hard rain

Thanks all for your kind words. I'm in OZ but no where near the fires. The whole thing is really upsetting. It seems every time you turn on the radio or TV the death toll gets higher. Record temperatures combined with fast hot winds and a prolonged drought have been the worst combination imaginable.

I don't cry easily but I've sure shed a few tears over the last couple of days.

It seems the whole country is in shock right now.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Man the reports and accompanying photos are just amazing. If you've never seen anything like that its hard to get an idea how devastating it can be.

K+ goes out to those affected!

Although it's obviously a major tragedy, it really hits home when I saw this, I dont know if Koala's are naturally inquisitive towards humans but to actually see a koala holding the mans hand drinking water is mindboggling, my mind keeps wanting to put a child there.

To me that's like seeing a firefighter watering deer while petting its neck if wildfires broke out in Ontario.

Again good luck hope the fire ends soon

tuco

Cheers for the good vibes. Relatively low population here so the loss cuts vast and deep.

No, Koalas are usually more timid. These have been exceptional circumstances. This Koala pictured walked onto someone's patio after temperatures reached 47c - I think that's around 115-120f.

vJOkTpsY8jhhm4ye387aefbdo1_500.jpg

Wev

What you Dont Understand.

What you Dont Understand.

Australia lost 88 Citizens when JI bombed Bali. Now this is Terrorism on own soil.
7 Muslim Men were sentenced to long jail sentences last week for terrorism charges in Melbourne Victoria AUstralia.
Now People have said this is the work of Arsonists.
What twisted kind of illness makes someone light bushfires in tinderbox dry Bushland in the height of Summer with 105`F days.
Its Homegrown Terrorism they did not need to make Bombs or smuggle chemicals or even have to hunt down and get them or guns.They just take a drive out to the mountains and light fires that have taken over 200 lives. Burned over 1000 homes to the ground and killed One Million Animals.

There is a Deep seated resentment brewing underground in Muslim ghettos in Australia now that just witnessed the brutal Destruction by Israel while the whole world watched and did Nothing.
Time will show that some people coming into your counties are hell bent on destroying your infa-structures and history. Time will show the truth.
Its Murder on a Mass scale and a most terrible way to die.
We must find them and stop them.

Last edited:
H

Hal

Tuco...

Hope your OK down there. What you say about the small #'s of people living in that area, and how each individual therefore is "known by all," is something I hadn't considered, but it makes total sense. These Koala photos are bringing tears to my eyes. They appear so sentient.

Wev...

I think you are correct, arson is definitely a form of terrorism, and murder, especially starting these kind of fires that cover hundreds of miles. But I think it is too early to place the blame on a certain group of folks who are angry about something...there are many others who are angry about other stuff, and I think that the arsonist is frequently suffering from some mental defect way beyond being angry.

I've been completely burnt out twice, from wildfires, it's a bad situation ... I sure empathize with our friends in Australia ... good luck, mates ! ... the Aussie fire victims are in my prayers

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
There are people who tried to outrun the fire in cars, but perished ... koalas on the other hand are very slow moving, and rarely come down to the ground ... the amount of wildlife that has been lost in these fires is a tragedy in its own right.

There are people who tried to outrun the fire in cars, but perished ... koalas on the other hand are very slow moving, and rarely come down to the ground ... the amount of wildlife that has been lost in these fires is a tragedy in its own right.

I'm willing to bet some species known and unknown will be put on the extinction list or severely endangered because of the geography differences within australia. It's incredible to think that some species can live in less than an acre of land and nowhere else in the world and (if I heard it right) Millions of acres have just been burned to ashes.

Sad in so many different ways. :joint:

T

Teddybrae

I see this thread began in 2009.

We had no idea then that this lucky Land of Oz could get so dry. Or that the next time there was a wild fire it would get so big we didn't have the resources to defeat it. Or that shots of burning wildlife would cause us to turn away in horror from our TV screens.

We see your geographically ignorant politicians talking about our fires ... even when California has recently burned. "Tornadoes of fire" said Buttegeig, and he left out 'strong enough to overturn an 8tonne truck'. Think about that!

And a BILLION native animals gone ...