What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Folsom Prison Museum pics

JLP

Veteran
Hey guys,

I work in Sacramento,CA which isn't far from Folsom and on the news the other night they said they found some new Johnny Cash photos of the '68 concert and they only had copies at the Folsom Prison Museum.I'd never been there so I thought it was a good opportunity to go see the prison museum and take some pics.
So here's a mini virtual tour,please be patient as the new system takes me a little while to post the pics(about 40 of them).
Also,if you'd like to know more about the history of Folsom Prison check out the Wikipedia page.

So,here's where you turn off the main road,you can see they spared no expense on the sign.

100aafpm1x-med.jpg

Here's one of the main walls,all the granite was quarried from the surrounding area.

100aafpm2x-med.jpg

Here's the prison post office.All mail is marked Represa,but it's still the town of Folsom.Represa means Dam in Spanish.

100aafpm3x-med.jpg

G

Certainly don't want to end up in a place like that! Makes me miss johnny though!

Pretty interesting pics, looks like a pretty miserable place, lol!

Interesting! :joint:
~Aes

JLP

Veteran
Here's some pics of the front gate(East Gate) or tower #1.This is probably the most iconic image of Folsom.

100aafpm4x-med.jpg

100aafpm5x-med.jpg

100aafpm6x-med.jpg

JLP

Veteran
Here's a pic of what I assume was one of the original gates,there was no sign.

100aafpm8x-med.jpg

Here's pic of an old toilet,they haven't changed this design much over the years.I guess if you are a contorsionist you could take a crap and wash your face at the same time.

100aafpm9x-med.jpg

Here's one of the old searchlights.

100aafpm11x-med.jpg

Right on JLP!!!... Looking forward to more pictures! What a great moment in the history of Johnny Cash...a true icon to say the least. Could you imagine this happening in today's times? I think Shelton would make a great artist to give a rockin prison show!! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for donating your time to post these pictures...can't wait to see'em all!

JLP

Veteran
Theses are gas billies or FE bats,they are batons that shoot tear gas.
100aafpm18x-med.jpg

100aafpm19x-med.jpg

100aafpm20x-med.jpg

JLP

Veteran
Here's some more tear gas guns.

100aafpm29x-med.jpg

Here are some very old,very well made manacles.

100aafpm28x-med.jpg

Here's the classic ball and chain,also some heavy leg collar type restraints.

100aafpm30x-med.jpg

JLP

Veteran
Here is an actual hanging rope.93 death row inmates were hung at Folsom until they started using the gas chamber at San Quentin.

100aafpm39x-med.jpg

100aafpm40x-med.jpg

JLP

Veteran
Here's a zip gun made by an inmate.

100aafpm22x-med.jpg

Here's a couple carved fom wood and used in escape attemts.

100aafpm23x-med.jpg

100aafpm24x-medjpg

100aafpm24x-med.jpg

Last edited:

JLP

Veteran
Here's a huge ferris wheel built by an inmate.

100aafpm32x-med.jpg

100aafpm31x-med.jpg

100aafpm33x-med.jpg

100aafpm33x-med.jpg

Last edited:
Folsom State Prision is a cool place to visit(on the outside of the fence!) Did you check out the Jewelry store while you were out there? For those who dont know, They have a handmade jewelry store that sells the different jewelry the inmates make to sell. They have some neat things every once and a while. I guess you gotta do something to make the time go faster.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Awesome stuff, but kinda depressing to see how cruel mankind can be.
Thanks for the tour JLP!
All the best to you from Lake County!

Last edited:

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Very cool, but also very saddening at the same time.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us John Lee. Keep em coming. K+

JLP

Veteran
Here's the "wall o' shanks".

100aafpm38x-med.jpg

Here's a shank made from melted bic razors.

100aafpm37x-med.jpg

Folsom has also made all the CA plates since the 30's.

100aafpm41x-med.jpg

JLP

Veteran
I believe most guards in the towers now use the Ruger mini-14 but they didn't always.

100aafpm21x-med.jpg

100aafpm16x-med.jpg

100aafpm17x-med.jpg

JLP

Veteran
This is probably the rarest and most valuable piece in the collection,the original Folsom Prison Gatling gun.

100aafpm42x-med.jpg

100aafpm43x-med.jpg

100aafpm44x-med.jpg

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool pics man...

thanks for posting them up here for us to check out...

im diggin the homemade wooden pistol... dude must of had serious talent...

peace, LW

Latest posts

Latest posts