What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

seeded gets aced

seeded

Last year I sprouted some Double Thai and Zamaldelica seeds in the hopes of doing a seed run. Unfortunately the Double Thai must have been really old as only 5/10 sprouted with one dying almost immediately after. All the Zamaldelicas were good until a heatwave took a couple of them out while severely hurting the survivors of both strains so I had to put them off until now.

picture.php

Sorry about the terrible lighting but the strains are:
Double Thai
Zamaldelica
Malawi
Malawi x SSH
Malawi x (Thai x Blueberry)

Tomorrow I'm planting Pakistani Chitral Kush, Erdpurt and Durban to join the Double Thai, Zamaldelica and Malawi males that will be removed from this grow. They'll be flowered just before my next inspection so that after it I can run the girls to make seeds while simultaniously starting the next batch of seeds. If I stick to the plan I'll replicate and hybridize everything I currently have within a few years but I'll likely buy seeds before then too so god only knows how long it'll be before I have a seedless bud again :laughing:

I'll try to keep updates coming on a regular basis especially once the girls are a bit bigger and more interesting to look at :biggrin:

Shooters

If you keep your males quarantined from your females there is no reason to pollinate all the buds. I always just spread pollen on one branch that I mark which male was used, that way I can make four different crosses or however many males I have at the time, and can still have some clean buds to smoke for testing. Use a small paint brush or even you finger to collect the pollen and transfer it to the branch of your choosing.

seeded

If you keep your males quarantined from your females there is no reason to pollinate all the buds. I always just spread pollen on one branch that I mark which male was used, that way I can make four different crosses or however many males I have at the time, and can still have some clean buds to smoke for testing. Use a small paint brush or even you finger to collect the pollen and transfer it to the branch of your choosing.
The plan is to flower the males in a separate tent and then collect the pollen from them individually. Once gathered a bit will be put from each into a single bag for an open pollination mix of each strain and I'm hoping to pollinate each branch with a single male and then also a few buds using the mixture so I can create both an open pollination and selectively bred seeds on the same plants.

Now while I could save a few branches for seedless buds soon that won't be a possibility because every time I add a plant it will either get hit by all the previously collected pollen or be a pollen donor on an equal scale. I won't be able to keep up after a while so tough choices about what to make will have to be made.

One idea I had that would yield a seedless crop was having canary plants to detect stray pollen but the first tough choice I would make would be to ditch them so I gave up on the idea. I might sneak one in from time to time though :laughing:

seeded

Thanks Syd and today there's sprouts, the first two of which are erdpurt and pakistani chitral kush :woohoo:
picture.php

picture.php

I'm also switching the tent to flower tonight and moving all the smaller plants and parents to another tent to continue vegging so here they are on their last day together.
picture.php

picture.php

Buddler

Veteran
Wow u got lots on the go Seeded sure you need more seeds lol excellent shots of those seedlings breaking ground..B

seeded

Wow u got lots on the go Seeded sure you need more seeds lol excellent shots of those seedlings breaking ground..B

Thanks but have you ever looked at your seed stash and thought of it as complete? I never have and the second I planted a seed that wholeness would be gone anyway so I'd have to start all over again :laughing:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi seeded :)

Thanks for supporting our work and for starting a grow diary with the new batch of genetics :yes:

Very good selection of sativa genetics, the indicas should balance a bit the menu as well.

Double Thai was reproduced for the last time in 2012 so seeds could be starting to lose viability depending on how they were stored.

I take a chair to enjoy the flowering stage ;)

seeded

It's literally my pleasure dubi, your strains are the best!
Thanks for the info about the double thai. How long has it been since your last reproduction of lao luang prabang? I bought it at the same time as the double thai and have them booked in to be planted in 6 months so I'm not expecting much but as long as I get a male and female to work with I'll be happy.

Since I'm replying to the thread I might as well include a small update which is the final sprout count.
10/10 Durban
9/12 Pakistani Chitral Kush
6/12 Erdpurt. 8/12 if you include the two seeds that broke ground and seem to have died though.

Durban, PCK, Erdpurt
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I also pulled a zamaldelica male out of the flowering tent and got the coco/perlite cleaned up and ready for the flowering girls to transplant into today. It's all just boring stuff for now but some of the girls are already doing their best to grow into monsters so I'll be sure to keep the updates and pics coming as things pick up.

seeded

A Double Thai is male and I also got a second zamaldelica boy so the reproduction runs are definitely going ahead :woohoo:I also lowered my plant count considerably by killing off some unwanted malawi males and unneeded cuttings in my vege tent today so I'll finally be able to give the remaining plants all the attention they need. That'll see the seedlings transplanted into larger pots, the remaining malawi males killed and females transplanted to flower, flowering plants will get some serious LST, etc, over the coming week which will see things really take off.

Anyways enough chatter here's some pics.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

seeded

Thanks Syd and I'll be sure to get them out of that nasty hps glow of ill health for the next lot of pictures because they really are being let down by the lighting. The ones that look good are all overfed :laughing:

seeded

God those last pics were shit. Some were dying of thirst only moments ago, others transplanted within the last hour, etc. and the hps glow really tied things up beautifully so here's some nighttime pics without all the excuses.
picture.php

picture.php

thejact55

Cool grow seeded. I also had bad germination rates on the double thai, but as long as you get something, it's all good.
Have fun making beans, lol its my favorite part about growing.