What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Understanding the Art of LST - Before You Look at Any Pics, Read This First

is there any reason not to LST?
Time. It takes time to get a plant to have an even canopy and some don't have that luxury. I found that in order to achieve 4-7 oz's dried from a plant, from seed, you need to veg for at least 6 weeks. If you veg for only 3 weeks then it's tough to get the full benefits, doable, but tough.

fireman22

A LST Bush

A LST Bush

Here is a LST I tried. It's lights just got switched to 12/12 so bbing I'll try to get some flower photos up.

Drac420

Very nice LST post :)
Going to start training my babies next week, hoping to get some good results out of it.
Expect pix ;)

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I usually bend my bitches over after about 5-weeks of veg (when they go into 2.x gallon pots) and try to grow 8-10 cola mini bushes. I don't keep branches tied down permanently as I don't want to promote side branching (branches on branches); I'll tie them down for a couple of days to limit growth and even things out or pinch them a bit.

Pine

I don't remember exactly what this one weighted, but it was well over 3oz dried (excluding the popcorn and trim in the bowl. It was grown in an area less than 1.5ft^2.

C

coxswain

Great thread. I've learned a lot.

Is it safe to start LST on a plant that's already gained some hight? I have a C99 lady that I grow on my balcony in 20 liter 1/2 soil, 1/2 coco mix and she's about 2 feet tall already.
Here's a picture of her. Main stem is almost 1cm thick at the base. I guess LST would still work but I should be very carefull while bending it at first since I would like to bend it as low as possible.

picture.php

Seems most of you are doing indor LST. I'm guessing outdoor LSTing isn't much different appart from the control of when to start flowering? My goal is to keep them below 1 meter in hight with a nice even canopy if possible.

I will def. do LST on my other 4 C99s. One's visible in the background. Great method to increase yield and stealth in urban environments.

tRuKemist

My LST techniques @ about 12-13" tall! I grow all organic, my own soil mix of organic composted top soil, perlite, vermiculite, and peat moss! Use Fox Farm Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom, sometimes Super CalMag, also, Humboldt's Myco Madness, Myco Maximum, Honey, and Big Up Powder! Plants get started in 32 oz cups, then in 10" pots, and on to 5 gal. buckets!

Low Stress Training - Plants are anchored down, as you can see in two places

And again

View From Above

The stalk growing out with branches tied down now @ about 48" tall in 5 gal. buckets and pretty much every single side branch is anchored down!

The Kush Monster

:woohoo:Beware of the Monster Kush! :yoinks:

Have a very green day!
peace,
:joint:

Tropic

coxswain - I pratice outdoor LST, if I were to LST the plant you showed I'd tie it down without hesitation. Just make sure to always bend your plants when they are thirsty, they are way more flexible when they need water.

Good luck :joint:

U

ureapwhatusow

having done both topping and LST i can attest to LST being superior but a hell of alot more work

C

coxswain

coxswain - I pratice outdoor LST, if I were to LST the plant you showed I'd tie it down without hesitation. Just make sure to always bend your plants when they are thirsty, they are way more flexible when they need water.

Good luck :joint:

It's going to be a little hard waiting for her to get thirsty. She's in a 5 gal pot that has more then enough moisture for 7+ days. She was transplanted recently and just started to show it. I'll just be more carefull when bending her. I'll do it in steps...

Cheers!

Xrandom

*bump*

awesome information on here and (LST training in detail. Why bushes are better)

i'm getting ready to set up my first grow, and i will definately be using LST.

Kuroth

GREAT post Quazi...

I had one question... Do you know much about LST'ing with Autos? Since Autos start flowring around day 17 - 21, 65% of its life will be in flowering.. So would it be helpful and ok to LST autos during the flowering..

Thanks!

bbing

is there any reason not to LST?

Some strains dont take to stress well and will delay/reduce production.
Some of the pics here will you some indication/

Nice bush Vegan, LOL, ohh, so it OK to exploit Plants and bend and twist them but put a chicken a little box....JK

Still not finished....
:nanana:

C

CannabisSativa

I started LST about 4 days ago...Jack Herer and one Power Kush. I plan on flowering them next week so I can get some good initial stretch. Do the plants HAVE to go in a circular fashion all the way around the pot? I always see everyones plants look perfectly round/even when they flower but the main stem isnt around the pot.

Anyways, Here a few pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The power kush is on the middle left. How do they look so far?