What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Removing Iron Before Brewing Sake...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
How many of you brew sake?

My goal is to remove iron from my water before brewing. Currently I'm planning on using an r/o filter to begin with, then a distillation step to remove any remaining iron. Is this too much effort for what little iron is left after an r/o filter? I can build a 1 gallon copper still fairly cheaply, considering how expensive copper is. Are you distilling your own water before using it for sake?

What about your koji? You definitely use low/no iron content water to make it, right?

:D

troutman

Seed Whore
They do make iron filters for domestic water supplies. :tiphat:

I would use them before using your R/O machine to extend the R/O cartridge life.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
How many of you brew sake?

My goal is to remove iron from my water before brewing. Currently I'm planning on using an r/o filter to begin with, then a distillation step to remove any remaining iron. Is this too much effort for what little iron is left after an r/o filter? I can build a 1 gallon copper still fairly cheaply, considering how expensive copper is. Are you distilling your own water before using it for sake?

What about your koji? You definitely use low/no iron content water to make it, right?

:D

They do make iron filters for domestic water supplies. :tiphat:

I would use them before using your R/O machine to extend the R/O cartridge life.
ROTFL!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
regarding koji said:
Iron will bond with an amino acid produced by the koji to produce off flavors and a yellowish color.

Seeing as iron filters are not perfect, I already have access to plenty of r/o water, and I'm seeking to make the cleanest koji/sake possible, I'm right on track. I've found zero mentions of copper so far, which would make a copper still a great choice.

Appreciate the feedback. Sometimes you just need to bounce things off a blind wall, since formulating the sentences helps solidify your own information and processes.
:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts