What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Windows 7 support ends January 2020

Gry

Swapped out window for Ubuntu several years back.
Often find myself wondering why I had I not done so earlier.

Maple_Flail

Well, personally I'll still have a Win7 machine at that point (caveat, i build my own and have a few) but that is mostly because it works for the Architecture of the system that will be running it (ol' long tooth sandybridge)

Win7 is still fairly decent for alot of things, but honestly it does show its age.

w8.1 beats it for operating speed, and simplicity of use. (W10 is an abhorrent abberation and should not be mentioned..)

If you are a little tech savy and Do not need NVMe storage and Usb3 and beyond to work outta the box Win7 is fine. IMHO best OS for laptops.

OS support really hasn't been a concerning issue to me, it makes things less cut and dry but shit there are still factories running their presses on W95 because of the reliability

if you are savy you can make W8.1 look like w7 and act mostly the same for the average user.

Out of the box compatiblity is reason enough for most to go to w8.1. however I will say Tweaker programs are needed and strongly suggested.. ultimate windows tweaker comes to mind there are a few more that I cannot think of.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Desk top Win7. Lap top Win 10. Both still manageable.

Time to check out alternatives.....or plug along, as usual.

Treevly

Do we think that Win 7 will become less secure without the monthly updates? (I also run MSE, whatever that's worth.)

Maple_Flail

Do we think that Win 7 will become less secure without the monthly updates? (I also run MSE, whatever that's worth.)

Not really, Its just not getting new updates for viruses and security issues on newer hardware. It doesn't really have the user base to make it worth while for most people do create anything new to spesifically work with w7 to create issues. I wouldn't say its completely safe just not the end of the world

nothing a linux based pc hardware router/firewall can't fix.

Space Toker

Veteran
I have windows 7 too wondering the same thing! just forums twitter really don't use it as much as I used to. Read some article that someone considers W95 best ever but w7 close second and everything else crap by comparison. did some kind of search one thing lead to another my Dell Inspiron or something like that supposedly from 2013, that seems a little too recent to be true but MB! Think I will stick with this or research Ununtu.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I have windows 7 too wondering the same thing! just forums twitter really don't use it as much as I used to. Read some article that someone considers W95 best ever but w7 close second and everything else crap by comparison. did some kind of search one thing lead to another my Dell Inspiron or something like that supposedly from 2013, that seems a little too recent to be true but MB! Think I will stick with this or research Ununtu.
Go Ubuntu, you won't regret it and will never look at Windows again, since going Ubuntu my computer has never crashed, not even when running low on HDD space unlike Windows.

RB56

Veteran
Go Ubuntu, you won't regret it and will never look at Windows again, since going Ubuntu my computer has never crashed, not even when running low on HDD space unlike Windows.
Agree. Better performance too. Old Windows machines are dangerous.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
i have windows 7 on my laptop and am wondering what this will mean when it kicks in. im super unsavy when it comes to computers so would love an explanation. if there i s a way, i would prefer to still use windows 7 as i like things fine just the way they are. :)