What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AT&T fixed wireless

dddaver

Veteran
What a bummer. Rural users will be able to relate. I kept getting these personally addressed come-ons from AT&T telling me I was eligible for their fixed wireless. But I have a Hughes satellite contract that runs out June 27. So I was biding my time, stoked I would finally be getting real broadband. So set up an account and ordered it.

The tech showed up this morning. AT&T guarantees 10 MB/sec. but he said most people get like 25 MB/sec. and I'm about a mile and a half from a tower so there should be no problem.

The guy goes outside and about a half hour later comes in and says he couldn't get a signal. He was able to pick up other towers but called in and they told him he couldn't do that. DAMN!

That Hughes satellite works at night. I get 10-15 MB/sec. then. But during the day I only get about .5MB/sec. Everyday, Sunday included. Then the ping is usually around 700-800 anyway.

That satellite has been a pain in my ass for the 2 years I've had it. Hughes REALLY sucks. Their response to my many many slow complaints was to send an installer out. Not a software guy as I assumed they would. Why? And their community website is just full of unhappy customers. This is nowhere near worth the $87/month for 20 GB. Jesus. And I pay them for their abuse and lies. WTF?

Sorry to just bitch. I'm pissed. Thanks for letting me vent.