What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KOBE (WAGYU) beef, anyone ever cook it?

G

good drown

:tiphat:
i love beef, steaks especially :jump: i love grilling steaks, its one of the few foods i can do just as good as a top restaurant like a ruth chris or other fine steak houses, as long as i have a nice cut, preferably dry aged :artist:
i have known about kobe beef for a while, and i understand wagyu is not TRUE kobe, but i am not rich. wagyu is the same type of cow from japan, but grown in usa, and i dont think they massage the cows and pamper them like they do in japan for Kobe beef. its as close as i can afford, it still has that same unique heavy marbling, and it is rated the same. i can get a #3 24oz porterhouse for $35. the # is the marbling rating, the higher the better, but once you get around 10 or higher, it becomes hundreds for a cut. a #7 16oz new york strip is $59.
now the main reason i have not tried one yet, is the cooking :hotbounce: i've read that if it is cooked to long, all that good fat you payed for melts away and you are left with a regular steak. i like rare to medium rare, basically as pink or red as it can get but not be super chewy when its too raw.
does anyone have any experience cooking these? i think its called flash cooking. i have a normal charcoal grill with no thermostat. i really want to try one bad. i am hoping that if its cooked right, and the fat is in tact after cooked, it wont be bloody as hell and super chewy.
if i can do this right, i would love to enjoy one every month or something :blowbubbles:
also, if anyone knows any good online butchers they have used, let me know.
:thank you:

G

good drown

i've never broiled a steak, does it taste the same as grilled?

Japanfreakier

Veteran
wagyu means Beef from Japan, Kobe beef is just one of the more famous brands here. At the market we have Aussie Beef and Wagyu but I only buy the Wagyu, it is about twice the price though.

G

good drown

Wagyū|和牛 refers to several breeds of cattle genetically predisposed to intense marbling and to producing a high percentage of oleaginous unsaturated fat

Kobe beef (神戸ビーフ Kōbe Bīfu?) refers to cuts of beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyu cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. The meat is generally considered to be a delicacy, renowned for its flavour, tenderness, and fatty, well-marbled texture

a good wagyu steak is only a few hundred dollars tops, a good kobe, thousands

but thats not the point japan, how'd you cook it?!?!

Grill it over good charcoal that looks like charred-up wood as opposed to those god-awful packed brisquettes from Kingsford and the like. There are several schools of thought when it comes to grilling meat. You can follow the "flip twice", rotisserie/constant flipping (think Brazilian churrascaria), or a high heat sear-->medium heat finish. All three have their merits when the technique is performed properly.

One thing to note when grilling a high grade Kobe/Wagyu: if it is a high grade cut (yes Kobe/Wagyu is further graded and sorted), then make sure it doesn't melt into the grill, which can easily happen if the bars are spaced wider apart.

Also, don't be afraid to really rub it down with a good coarse high quality sea salt. These salts all taste different, so find one to your liking and be generous with it. Don't believe that bullshit "pinch of salt and pepper" you see on cooking shows. Steakhouses will slather their meats in salt and butter. Use freshly ground pepper as a topping, not a rub. Pepper tends to impart a bitter flavor when subjected to such high grilling temps.

Have fun! Be sure to post the final result here so we can all drool :D

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Wagyū|和牛 refers to several breeds of cattle genetically predisposed to intense marbling and to producing a high percentage of oleaginous unsaturated fat

Kobe beef (神戸ビーフ Kōbe Bīfu?) refers to cuts of beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyu cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. The meat is generally considered to be a delicacy, renowned for its flavour, tenderness, and fatty, well-marbled texture

a good wagyu steak is only a few hundred dollars tops, a good kobe, thousands

but thats not the point japan, how'd you cook it?!?!

lol, few thousand for a steak? I guess that must be in the other Japan.

Don't know where you're getting your facts, kind of strange stuff is writting but that's besides the point as you pointed out. How did I cook the meat? Like meat, on the stove.

G

good drown

on the stove? for real?
wow, you haven't heard of kobe beef? just google it, its very expensive for REAL kobe beef

G

good drown

Grill it over good charcoal that looks like charred-up wood as opposed to those god-awful packed brisquettes from Kingsford and the like. There are several schools of thought when it comes to grilling meat. You can follow the "flip twice", rotisserie/constant flipping (think Brazilian churrascaria), or a high heat sear-->medium heat finish. All three have their merits when the technique is performed properly.

One thing to note when grilling a high grade Kobe/Wagyu: if it is a high grade cut (yes Kobe/Wagyu is further graded and sorted), then make sure it doesn't melt into the grill, which can easily happen if the bars are spaced wider apart.

Also, don't be afraid to really rub it down with a good coarse high quality sea salt. These salts all taste different, so find one to your liking and be generous with it. Don't believe that bullshit "pinch of salt and pepper" you see on cooking shows. Steakhouses will slather their meats in salt and butter. Use freshly ground pepper as a topping, not a rub. Pepper tends to impart a bitter flavor when subjected to such high grilling temps.

Have fun! Be sure to post the final result here so we can all drool :D

NICE, thank you!!!!!!!!:thank you::tiphat:
i know what charcoal you speak of.
so how long do i cook on each side?how do i make sure it doesn't melt in the grill?
and i love me some sea salt and pepper on me steaks!

Japanfreakier

Veteran
lol, dude I live in Tokyo, of course I've heard of it, I'm saying that the stuff you put up is all wrong, it doesn't cost a thousand dollars. The best Restaurants in Tokyo serve Kobe steaks for like $200, you can pick up a steak in the super market for under $50.

Japanese don't have grills, they don't have ovens. They have gas top stoves so all steaks cooked at home are cooked in a fry pan. The best restaurants here fry them as well.

Generally speaking the only time meat is grilled over charcoal here is when it's yaki-niku which is a korean way to eat meat and I don't think I've ever seen a place that uses kobe beef for that.

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bbq or frypan you want that marbling to start to melt or render,
its some of the best meat i have ever eaten and me being a butcher in Aus i see a lot of good meat

Squiggles

get yourself a hibachi grill and a bag of the white charcoal to go with it
myself at home i just throw it on the bbq but hey i also like lobster with coctail sauce sandwiches.....

G

good drown

lol, dude I live in Tokyo, of course I've heard of it, I'm saying that the stuff you put up is all wrong, it doesn't cost a thousand dollars. The best Restaurants in Tokyo serve Kobe steaks for like $200, you can pick up a steak in the super market for under $50.

Japanese don't have grills, they don't have ovens. They have gas top stoves so all steaks cooked at home are cooked in a fry pan. The best restaurants here fry them as well.

Generally speaking the only time meat is grilled over charcoal here is when it's yaki-niku which is a korean way to eat meat and I don't think I've ever seen a place that uses kobe beef for that.
damn that sucks you dont have grills, thats all the fun of cooking it!!!!!!
the thing is, you are only buying wagyu beef, not kobe wagyu, which is raised to specific hyōgo prefecture standards. they basically worship the cow until it is slaughtered. it goes for around 300 a lb on japan, so a good steak is around 400, or more. the marbeling is almost well above the top rating for regular wagyu.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
the thing is, you are only buying wagyu beef, not kobe wagyu, which is raised to specific hyōgo prefecture standards.

Dude you don't have a clue what I'm eating. I've eaten kobe beef countless times and I see it at the supermarket everyday and you want to tell me what I'm eating?

I'll let you figure out the math, nobody here eats a 3 pound steaks, can't imagine it, most steaks are from 200~300 grams and about 10 bucks per 100 grams. If you want to check here is the yahoo shopping page, it's in Japanese but you can convert the yen buy dropping 2 zeros and calling it dollars, so 3,000 yen is like 30 bucks. Bottom of the page is a kilo for just over $100

http://shopping.yahoo.co.jp/search?...cid=&p=%BF%C0%B8%CD%A5%D3%A1%BC%A5%D5&x=0&y=0

G

good drown

what you ate was most likely raised in australia at 50 a steak
none of that stuff looked that good on that site

find me an A5 kobe poterhouse 16 ounces or more for under $200.

also, i eat 40+ ounce steaks man, and im tiny.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Except if you knew what you were talking about instead of just making up stuff you'd know that all food is labeled as to it's origin, has been for years. All Aussie beef in the market is labeled and the Kobe and other areas of Japan that specializes in beef also put their logos on the meat. Is there anything else you would like to assume or makeup today? Maybe tell me the weather out my door isn't sunny?

Japanfreakier

Veteran
On the yahoo shopping page you'll also see a lot of meat cut paper thin for shabu-shabu, which is dipping the meat in a boiling broth for a few seconds to cook it then dipping it into a selection of sauces.

G

good drown

like i said, find me an A5 portehouse japanese kobe steak, 16oz or more

G

good drown

if you can fin me some for $50 like you say, you would make $millions importing that to usa

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Like I said, people don't eat steaks that big here. Kobe steak is considered a delicacy, not a bag of potato chips to be consumed in mass quantities.

Did you even bother looking at the link?

Latest posts

Latest posts