What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you feed your dog?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you put two plates down,, they eat the one they like the smell of first!

desant

Veteran
"it doesn't mean you should fucking feed them fried food. What gave you the impression that your dog enjoys said food? "

20 years of breeding/working with dogs

My dog enjoys it and it does no harm

C

cannagirl

raw prey model in the morning and either kirkland chickenand rice,totw,evo at night.

and the costco food is kirkland. and the chicken and rice is actually a pretty decent food.

Evo, while a great food, was just bought out by Proctor and Gamble, and while the contract says they wont change the formula, the true wording is they wont change the formula for a year. I fear the quality of Evo will be going down hill. As did many other pet food companies who were bought out by P&G. Here is P&G news release Link

TOTW is also a good food but all of their products contain ethoxyquin, even though they do not list it on their labels, I have spoken to a company representative who did confirm for me that their suppliers do in fact add E to the meal before it come to the dog food processing plant, and since TOTW doesnt add it directly they dont have to add it to their list of ingredients.

ethoxyquin is a fat preservative that is made by Monsanto, and in 1956 Dr. Lehman (of the FDA) said that if he was asked, he would have to rule that ethoxyquin is "harmful and deleterious," and that no amount of retesting could convince him, or others in his division, otherwise. Ethoxyquin is considered a hazardous chemical under the criteria of the OSHA Hazard Communication standards. It is not able to be detected after it is added to any product unless it is "tagged," and today it is illegally present in products in which it is prohibited by law.

One of the biggest pet food companies to still use ethoxyquin is Hill's, makers of Science Diet and Royal Canin.
When looking for a food, make sure it's preserved with Vitamins C & E only -- no BHT or BHA either.

Eukanabu is great dry food but my boxer's stomach is a bit sensitive for dry food. I feed mine canned food called Royal Canin Veterinary Sensitivity Control, which is mostly rice and meat and he supplements this with plenty of grass.

Im sorry but I must respectfully disagree with you on your opinion that Eukanuba or Royal Canin are good high quality pet foods, in fact it is quite the opposite, they are full of preservatives, very little nutritional meat content and starchy fillers. Alot of the starches in these low grade pet foods break down into sugars in the body and then yeast is able to build up and live off of the sugars. Alot of times these starches are the cause for itchy or irritated skin, and can be the underlying factor of skin allergies. Also the preservatives that they use in these foods come out of the dog as nasty smells and horribly large poops that smell completely awful. I will break down the ingredients for you.

EUKANUBA PRODUCT:
ADULT MAINTENANCE – CHICKEN & RICE formula
I will break down the chemicals and unneeded additives used in our best friends food, most time we dont even know these nasties are in the food. The ingredients higlighted in red are unnessecary for dogs and the ingredients highlighted in orange are chemicals that are harmful to their bodies, those highlighted blue can be sourced more naturally.

Ingredients
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, dogs do not need grains in their diets, instead a wild dog or wolf would eat the green tripe of an animal to get the need vitamins from grains and grasses, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), why feed your dog fat? its not healthy for a dog to be overweight so why give them fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product,, its much easier to crack open a fresh egg, not to mention its a much healthy source of omega 3's and calcium if you also feed the egg shell Potassium Chloride, Natural Flavor, what does "natural" taste like?, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), easily supplemented with human food grade fish oil capulesSalt,, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2) all of these vitamins and minerals can be sourced naturally in green tripe, Inositol, this is a carbohydrate and is completely unnecessary in the canine diet.

From Wikipedia reagarding Inositol,
wikipedia said:
Some preliminary results of studies on high dose inositol supplements show promising results for people suffering from problems such as bulimia, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, agoraphobia, and unipolar and bipolar depression.[8][9][10][11]...

Inositol has been used as an adulterant (or cutting agent) in many illegal drugs, such as cocaine, methamphetamine, and sometimes heroin.[18] This use is presumably connected with the substance's solubility and near-lack of taste (which is easily hidden by the chemical substance).
, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), this ingredient should be naturally sourced through meats and milk products, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, this is unnecessary and harmful. It is a salt compound preservative but is it also used in water softeners, and detergents. As well as being used in dispersing agents to break down clay and other soil types and its also a whitening ingredient included in some whitening toothpastes and mouthwashes , Choline Chloride, this is an additive that accelerates growth, accelerated growth in animals is not healthy, just like accelrated extreme growth is not healthy in humans, Fructooligosaccharides, this is an artificial sweenteer that the pet food compaines have to use because the food on its own with out these added sweeteners are not palitable to dogs otherwise Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), all minerals that can be sourced naturally threw natural raw meat and bone diet , Monosodium Phosphate, another preservative that is completely unnecessary in a dogs diet, Rosemary Extract, why do dogs need rosemary?.

Royal Canin canned food has all the above ingredients plus they add a few "special" ones like Menadione is added as an inexpensive vitamin K supplement in commercial foods. What they dont tell you is this so called Vit K3 is that it causes liver and kidney failure in dogs and cats.

dogfoodproject.com said:
Here is a list of negative effects of menadione on the body

-causes cytotoxicity in liver cells

-causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the -
-consequence of cytotoxic reactions

-considerably weakens the immune system

-possible mutagenic effects

-damages the natural vitamin K cycle

-has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in --commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)

-causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses

-disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis

-is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K

-builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives

-causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes

-causes allergic reactions and eczema.

here are a few more things to consider:

Menadione (e.g. menadione sodium bisulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite or menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite)

has never been researched or specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food
has been banned from use in food and supplements for human use in many European countries due to serious side effects, including permanent damage and deaths
FDA has banned synthetic vitamin K from over-the-counter supplements because of its high toxicity
vitamins K1 and K2 are metabolized through the lymphatic system, utilizing pancreatic enzymes and bile acids and regulated by the liver. Vitamin K3 is absorbed directly and bypasses the natural pathways and regulators.

Check out this thread that coincidentally has the same title, which was started months ago by myself!

Raw Feeding is where it's at!

Just because your dog "likes" a particular cuisine, it doesn't mean you should fucking feed them fried food. What gave you the impression that your dog enjoys said food? Did he/she describe the intricacies and delicacies that his/her palate experienced? Or was it just gobbled up and consumed rapidly, as any dog would do when provided with a meal from a human, whether or not it is nutritious and/or biologically appropriate.
:wave:

AMEN, you said exactly what I was thinking!!!

ETA: here is my own list of commercial dog foods I would recommend, some are kibble, and some are pre-made dehydrated raw that you just add water too:
-Fromm Dog food
-Acana
-Orijen
-Spot stew
-Wellness
-Blue Buffalo Wilderness
-Natures Variety
-Honest Kitchen
-Ziwipeak
-Primitive Nature Earthborn Holistic
- you can also find pre-made frozen raw that comes in 3lb packages

desant

Veteran
"
What gave you the impression that your dog enjoys said food?
AMEN, you said exactly what I was thinking!!!
"

Man, it is much much much better to feed my dog ONE deep fried quality haddock per week than feed her every day some budget bulk low quality mass produced 1 % meat content dog food

hopleaf

i'd like to add that hops used for brewing are very poisonous to dogs as well. be careful all you homebrewers...the first year i grew hops i dried them near where my dogs sleep and just the smell made them dizzy and sick to their stomach. if a dog were to ingest a hop cone the canine would die of within hours of over heating, and there has only been one case of a dog surviving. i realize most people don't have hops just sitting around all over the place, but you never know.

S

Stankie

opt1c

Flint River Ranch is available at a couple of 'holistic pet food stores' up in Portland. It's a FANTASTIC product, IMHO

CC

That is good to hear!!

I made the switch to this about 2 years ago for my dogs. They have been really healthy all their lives. My Vizsla/Lab mix is getting up around 10. He weighs in at about 90 pounds. Did a 12 mile hike a few months ago, no problem!

BPJR

Taste of the Wild Salmon Variety. Great stuff.

"A fish protein, grain-free formula with sweet potatoes provides highly digestible energy for your sensitive dog. Made with real smoked salmon, this formula offers a taste sensation like no other. Supplemented with fruits and vegetables, this fish and potato formula delivers natural antioxidants to protect your friends body from the damage of everyday living, supporting a healthy immune system and overall good health."

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I've owned and raised many different breed's of dogs over the year's, and, up until 4 year's ago, always thought I was feeding them good quality food because I always bought the best and/or most expensive name brand dog food off the supermarket shelf.

I hate to rain on every dog lover's parade here, but if you are feeding your dog or cat any of the major name brand pet food's like Science Diet, Purina, Dr. Ballard, etc, , you're feeding your dog junk science franken-food poison that will eventually lead to them becoming prematurely ill and dieing.

Yeah Dude....way.....:fsu:

The pet food industry is largely unregualted by the Fed's. All of the top dog food manufacturer's buy the fat that they add to dog food from rendering plants. These same so called rendering plants get their fat from dead animal's. Just like the one's that they put down at vet office's all over North America. Or they're animals that have been designated unfit for human consumption. Either way, these poor dead animal's had all kinds of different foul nasty diseases...capiche..???....that's why they're dead!!! Bon appettite Fido, my old buddy......:dunno:

Read the book, "Foods Pet Die For" by Anne Martin. It's a real wake up call if you love your pet and want them to eat healthy food.

Here is a link to read one chapter from the book that discusses this issue:

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

I only feed my dog certified organic, biologically appropriate foods, mostly raw. You should try to find such high quality dog food's that are produced and manufactured locally in your area. Go to a pet food store that specializes in hollistic and organic pet food. They seem to be popping up in every major city these days, and are not hard to find.

My newest dog is now four years old, has always been fed a healthy organic mostly raw diet, and has never had to go to the Vet, and has never been sick. Go figure......:smoker: My friend's always comment that my dog eats better than most human's, including myself......:ying:

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Re: What do you feed your dog???

Re: What do you feed your dog???

I have a brother and sis dobermans, I feed them hash and kittens....
They would eat glass if I told them to, they are good listeners lol...

Latest posts

Latest posts