What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you "fix" pics with PSP or Photoshop taken under HPS?

jonezin

Somewhere someone posted a thread/tutorial about fixing pictures that were taken under HPS lighting. To get the orange out of them. Does anyone know if that post was on this site? I had it saved but I built a new computer and don't have it anymore. I'm not very good with Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and would like to find that tutorial. I've figured out how to adjust the white balance on my camera now, so that I can take good pictures even under the HPS lights, but I have some older pictures that I'd like to somehow adjust to make them look better. Does anyone know where I can find that tutorial? Thank you.

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
Call me uneducated but i find i get my best results at night with a flash, or during the day : under natural light(lots of it). I feel as tho the second youve altered the image with filters or any kind of software plug in - in order to "make it better", is kinda cheap most definitely i would consider it cheating. The only reason id touch an image with software is to either make it smaller(size) or crop this is in regards to Cannabis/Bud pictures, what i cant understand is why anyone would go through that whole process when taking a picture at night with a flash or during the day with natural light will net you waaay wayyyy better results... my 2cents tho...
Please link that thread you referenced in your thread, i would like to see what it is youre talkin about

jonezin

Thanks for the reply. I can't link the thread yet though because I can't find it. I don't remember if it was on here or on another site. As soon as I find it I'll post the link.

Barnt

I remember looking for that same thread and not finding it as well. I'm pretty sure it was a different site though.

Manually setting the white balance on my camera allowed me to take out the yellow of the hps and take nice pictures. I however do not like taking pictures under the hps and usually take my plants out and use a nice daylight cfl to light the room. Using long exposure and a tripod I get decent pics.

IMG_6067_PU_x_ROM_Medium_.JPG

MASHUP

Mash explains the hue/saturation process of removing color cast created by HPS lights

Open your image in Photoshop

Create a new Hue/Saturation adjustment layer

Click OK when presented with this dialog box

Select the Yellow color channel from the "Master" drop down box

Desaturate the Yellow color channel until satisfied

Experiment with adjusting the other color channels to your liking. You may be surprised at what you can come up with.

Before
user81701_pic32193_1236382795.jpg

After a quick Mashing
user81701_pic32193_1236382795-2.jpg

Peace

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Or you can go, [Enhance], [Adjust colour], [Remove Colour cast]
your cursor turns into a dropper tool, pick a part of the picture that should be white, and left click.

J

JackTheGrower

although not on topic exactly some interesting effects can be obtained under HPS with another light source on the subject.

In these two shots the flash offsets the hPS.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mashup, GMT, NYCD.. thanks friends for helping Jonezin with this issue..and me..I saw the thread here at iC that you were refering to but I can't find it and Mashup has done an excelent job in presenting the Photoshop method...Rock on..DD

L

LolaGal

Haha, I see the ad for my new Nikon D60 sez this about this issue and how they deal with it:

"White balance 8 modes (when Auto is selected, TTL white-balance with main image sensor and 420-segment RGB sensor is available), fine-tuning possible"

Nice of a camera company to give us 420-segment RGB sensors.... lol... 420.... lol....

I thought it was cool. GO NIKON.

REZDOG

Veteran
Nikon (mostly) rocks.
Shoot in the dark,(or under minimal lighting) with the flash,for best results.
Screw photoslop,get the Right,Real Shot,or None at All.
The best advice: Take millions of pics,and learn as you go....It's FREE! :D

b0nZai.b0b

Veteran
hmm, just shoot in .raw and just set up that white balance correction till it´s as near as it comes to the original colours, i use lightroom.

left picture is orig. with HPS on auto. white balance

sure best shoots come out with natural daylight and/or flashlight set ups... but not common to snapshots ;)

peace dude´s

Skip

Veteran
If you're using a decent camera, it should have a white balance mode.
Aim the camera at a piece of white paper or anything pure white.
Press the white balance button.
Then frame your shot and shoot the pic!

That will set the correct colors for the photo. It can be done in photoshop, but it's easier to do when taking the pic.

Latest posts

Latest posts