What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in plain water under fluoros

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Caprichoso said:
...It’s a good idea to change the water every few days or so and to keep temps above 70, but the cuts will almost always root if this maintenance is observed or not...

GreatLakes THC

G

exclnt thread....but what about the honey cap and taking clones late in flower???thx

G

Bravo matey, I tried a simmilar method about 2 years ago with a male i ended up
cloneing into dirt from my hydroponic unit,
I never got to use it = ( top lady from federation s/bank)
And do you reckon cloneing a male like this for pollen will work just aswell as the plant itself ?
like i said it were in hydro and had to be taken out before it flowered,
I tried transplanting it into dirt from hydro and it did not take to that very kindly at all.

My big question today is = Are there many - (if any) growers etc who might give out pollen like banks do seeds ?
Cheers man .

Creeptic

i know this thread is very old but i just wanted to bump this with my first attempt at cloning

i have never cloned before... this is my second grow and i took cuttings from my 5 plants just to show sex (as outlined in this thread)

took the cuttings, placed them in cups of plain tap water... no cloning gels, no bubbles, not even ph adjusted water...

well 6 days later under 46w of CFLs on 12/12/ and 2 of the clones have roots... hopefully they show sex in the next week or so

cant believe how simple and effective this method is...

here is a pic of one of the clones roots @ day 6

8720roots.jpg

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
I know it works great......this thread got me started too with the GrateFulH3ad's mass cloner in water thread.

Creeptic, it looks like you split the stem up some or scarred it? What method did you use to cut the tip?

Creeptic

Desiderata said:
I know it works great......this thread got me started too with the GrateFulH3ad's mass cloner in water thread.

Creeptic, it looks like you split the stem up some or scarred it? What method did you use to cut the tip?

no stem splitting or scarring... just cut em at 45 degree angle with sterilized fiskars... not even a razor blade... and dropped them in

i honestly was pretty skeptical about the whole thing... surely didnt expect to see roots at all, let alone at 6 days...

now the real test for me comes when im actually trying to root them... hopefully i get the same beginners/newb luck!

as a newb cloning was always something i was worried about doing... just worried that i would screw it all up... but this method is so easy anyone can do it

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Creeptic, that's how I did it.....45 degree cut, but with a razor under water when feasible. Scaring didn't work for me.

When you transfer them to soil, just keep 'em in the same light that you rooted them under.Then in a couple days you can place 'em under the veg light. Keep them wet for the first week because they just came out of water, okay. They'll like lots of water because you rooted them in it.

G

i just built a cheap water cloner except I added an air stone. I bought a plastic storage container with cover for a buck at job lot, I'm not sure of the size but it's about a foot log, six inches wide and six inches deep. I cut fifteen 1/4-1/2 inch holes in the lid and marked and numbered the holes(so I can keep track of strains). I also cut a small hole near the top of the container on one end for the air tubing. I put in my airstone and filled the container nearly to the top with water with a touch of superthrive, put the lid on and took my cuttings, I did use Olivi's Rooting Gel just because I had it and it did seem to speed up the process. I put the cloner off to the side in an area that is lit by a 26 watt cfl and within a week 13 out of 15 had roots and were ready to put in 20 oz cups and now its about five days after transplant and roots are coming out of the bottom of the cups. It won't be two weeks until Tuesday that I actually took the cuttings and they are already healthy lil plants.

RuralRoute420

"-Taking cuttings that are extremely large. You have seen rooted clones 12” tall and 8”broad. No other cloning method can do this that I am aware of."

i disagree, i'm betting a bubbler would do it also...

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Why woudn't it work. My mom and grandma always root cuttings from thier houseplants and other plants. They just put a few cuttings in a glass of water in the window and withing a week or so they show roots. I don't see why the same would apply for cannabis. I usually just use perlite and water and I get good success.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

It is my understanding that you can sex buy putting the cutting in a 12/12 light cycle-is this still under reduced light???

It would seem that to show sex they must photosynthesize(sp) to produce growth right? If they are under subdued light- I can see why they would root.

Has this been a successfull tool for sexing for you? How did you do it exactly (ie bright light/low light)....

minds_I

admiralcornport

I am working with fem seeds so I didn't do this to sex them... but I don't think this question was for me now that i think about it.