What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Nice thread, I've never had great success cloning, but now I hope I will. I'm thinking of leaving my tray on top of my fridge. I noticed that there is constant heat from it, hoping that heat will be enough to keep the temp up to 75 in my dome. I use rock wool cubes cut in half. What size of compact florescent should I use?

Thanks again for this thread....

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the fridge will be good, but put down a towel first to absorb any vibration. I use 2 -23 watt floros over top of them for cloning, allthough one would probably be enough....

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank god for that. I was thinking of PM,ing you to see what had happened. Next time they might root in 10 days. I think they sense when you are stressing, lol....

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Honestly it seems to have gone into flowering as it has big pistils around the apical node, thats why I think it took so long.. I have been cheating and have dug it up 3 times too so that dosent help things but now I KNOW it has roots growing lol. They are 1cm lnog so far and no more diging!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now you see why I spend the twenty cents and use the rapid rooters. All you have to do is look and you will know if there are roots. It also makes for a stronger transplant. The bottom line is you rooted a clone so now you will have confidence and know what to expect.....

Deft

Veteran
Yep, first one under my belt is good. I'll look for the rapid rooters tomorrow if I dont feel like I have Sars still. I have never seen them though so I may have to mail order or get somthing similar.

JJ - So you mist twice daily for 5 days, including the dome. I understand about letting fresh air in. After 5 days of misting you don't mist/water at all until plants get droopy. I'm just curious, why 5 days?

Also, I'm using Olivia's Cloning Solution to water the RRs. When misting plants, use plain water?

I took my first ever cuts today. They came from bagseed I'm growing and using to hone my cloning skills before attempting cloning known genetics. Following your method, I have 10 cuttings from 2 different bagseeds under 2x 26w cfls (cool white), about 12" above dome. I placed the RRs in a plastic ice cube tray and they fit perfectly. Got my thermo-hygrometer monitoring temps & humidity, currently 90% humid, 74F deg. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thank you so much for this thread!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I mist them as long as they look droopy. Very lightly though. I also keep the inside of the dome misted. If the Rapid Rooter starts to dry, I take an eyedropper and give them a teaspoonfull of water....

I just use plain tap water that has sat for a day or so at room temp....Good luck....

Remember, do not leave the RR dripping with water. Squeeze them out

G

JJScorpio, Any way to store the rapid rooters? A friend picked up 2 Bags , 100 plugs way too many to use at this point. Can I store them in the fridge perhaps? I don't think they would freeze well. Thanks

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I simply leave mine in the bag, but I will use them up in a couple months. I suppose if you were going to have them an extended time it wouldnt hurt to put them in a tupperware container of some sort. I always soak mine in water and squeeze them out before using, but I wouldnt want them to dry up though....

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some people do not use rooting hormone. I would think it must speed things up to some extent though.....Sorry I could not be more helpful.........

S

screwdriver

JJScorpio said:
When a clone roots, normally the leaves will start to lift upward. A lot of times you will notice yellow tips on the leaves.

I noticed this morning that my cutting has lifted and slightly confined by the dome I use. This gives me hope it may survive.

I want to give it something to help really bad, but witholding.
I assume that if its not yellowing, or wilting excessively it must be doing something? Somewhere? Its still green....Theres still hope for roots?
I know I'm only at 10 days, some of the last batch went 21 days before I caved in and gave up on them.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
About all that you can do to help them is to mist them lightly. Try not to be very excessive with it because the plant needs to grow roots to get water, and sometimes to much misting can slow them down. Make sure you crack the dome with something to let in fresh air. I put a small piece of doubled up paper towel in the corner of the dome so fresh air can get in. Just be patient, only keep the medium moist and keep the temps right and you will get roots.....

Deft

Veteran
Mine allmost whitherd up and died because it took so damn long, they can take their sweet time! If its not yellowing its got plenty of reserves left.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have had clones take so long to root that there was no green left and they couldn't recover, lol. The roots actually grew larger, but the plant couldn't come back from it....

Latest posts

Latest posts