What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

Floridian

Veteran
I couldn't agree with that assessment more,it's sound thinking.A thousand years ago,I bet you couldn't aquire squat with a pork belly but some silver could get you most anything you were bartering for.I don't expect the system to collapse in my lifetime,I'm 57 and hope that I'm correct anyway.I do believe that there's little chance in 10 or 15 years that it would be worth less than it is today,at least I'm hoping so.Silver has been valuable for a long time,and just for status mainly now it's being used in all sorts of technologies.I jst can't imagine it being a mistake to invest in.If anyone sees a real downside I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.Sometimes the obvious can be the most elusive

brown_thumb

When SHTF having physical control of something 'real' vs. 'promissory notes' is a far better advantage than a pocket full of worthless paper (currency).

Land, water, food, ammo, fuel/heat/cool, protection, alliances, independence... all far more important than gold/silver/cash. But gold/silver/necessities will always beat 'promissory notes' and BS.

Green Squall

The majority of people I've talked to said it's best to have physical possession of you PM.

Floridian - Not sure if you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but is there a reason you chose silver vs gold? Not second guessing you, just curious.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I feel it is definitely better to have PMs in your personal possession.

And if you're buying it for a possible SHTF scenario, you want silver.
How are you gonna get change for your $1000 chunk of gold when you just wanna buy 3 dozen chicken eggs from your neighbor down the road??

Floridian

Veteran
GS the reason I'm choosing silver over gold besides the obvious cost is the fact that silver besides it's long standing historical value has actual practical uses these days in technology and industry,gold is a better electrical conductor but other than that it's value is still just esoteric.Nobody can really predict which will gain the most in value in the future,but silver has become a more practical precious metal from what I've learned.I wish I could buy a pound of both lol

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I feel it is definitely better to have PMs in your personal possession.

How are you gonna get change for your $1000 chunk of gold when you just wanna buy 3 dozen chicken eggs from your neighbor down the road??

correct, imo buying/possessing old silver coins by the bag online is the way to go. shtf scenarios demand that you have PM on hand, the prices of PM's will skyrocket too. Having old pre '65 US dimes, quarters and halves (90% silver by weight btw) would allow you, as mentioned by Bud to barter for the staples needed.

pm's could go up enough so that you might be using some heavy snips or shears to cut your dimes & quarters into smaller pieces :dunno: but then again, eggs @ $12/dz (etc...) can spend some serious coin quick.

St. Phatty

attachment.php

Thought this chart from Friday was interesting.

Normally PM's move together, not the same percentages, but in the same direction.

Palladium going counter-trend Friday ... there must have been some significant news on the diesel and/or gasoline car front.

Attachments

• sp_en_6_palladium-move.gif
    sp_en_6_palladium-move.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 21

Floridian

Veteran
Haven't made any kind of move yet,but I'll tell you I like silvers increase and decrease in nickles and dimes more so than dollars.For the less wealthy investor it really seems like the way to go.To me those nickels and dimes value can in one day score a substancial increase due to any number of factors.I guess the same could be said about the other PM's but not to as great a degree as silver in my opinion.Practical uses speak volumes where esoteric uses may not be valued near as much one day.I'm getting into this shit and am glad I didn't score because it went down a dime or so like I almost did.I just don't know how long I should sit back.I guess that's the magic question

brown_thumb

Junk silver coinage is simply the most convenient fallback currency/trading medium vs. most others. Everyone knows about silver and gold. Junk silver coins are the most recognizable monetary trading medium. Few know anything about copper or other precious metals... and copper has relatively little value so takes up too much space. A 90 percent silver dime or dollar will always have recognizable value. AND... everyone can recognize a worn silver coin.

My FIRST choices in investing are INDEPENDENCE regarding land, water, fruit/veg gardens, shelter, protection, energy, booze, weed, etc. Only then will I bother investing in things that cannot be eaten, drank, sheltered in, or offers self-defense.

For the most part, anything we need can be bartered for. The key is to be smart regarding what we have for trade. Other than necessities, junk silver coins make the most sense in that regard.

G.O. Joe

Veteran

There are fractional oz. sizes of platinum and gold coins and bullion. More likely I would use platinum and palladium to make drugs, and sell the drugs.

Platinum is more guaranteed to be a net gain at a random future cash-in date than $16 silver or $1250 gold, although the others have higher potential for huge profit at the next stock market crash.

igrowone

Veteran
View Image

Thought this chart from Friday was interesting.

Normally PM's move together, not the same percentages, but in the same direction.

Palladium going counter-trend Friday ... there must have been some significant news on the diesel and/or gasoline car front.

palladium has been on a run up lately, see that its price is nearly as high as platinum?
palladium is at a high price at the moment, profit taking may be showing its head here

Floridian

Veteran
That's a good question and in the last couple weeks it looks like Rosiland and that's only if you buy a minimum of 5000 dollars.I've noticed these guys hustle pretty damn good for non dopefiends(unless they're undercover lol}One thing I do know is since I started pricing on the 10th the spot has gone down a little over 50 cents so I think I'm going to make a move pretty soon.It's a trip you just don't know what the deal with be a day a week or a month from now.The trend is positive for buyers at this point though.And I should say Rosiland can be good from what I see or fly by night,JM bullion is the way to go definately,I'm not interested in bags of silver coins I want bullion and I want 10 oz bars at 100 oz bar prices

ronbo51

Veteran
Best place to buy pre-1965 junk silver coins???

Any of the large, well known online dealers are square. I like the junk silver. Some of the dimes in my bags are 1913 and other teen years but really worn. I figure any numismatics get pulled long before they go in the junk bags, but that old silver is cool. Hard to imagine how those silver quarters and dimes circulated through the economy for years and years. When I was a kid,early sixties and up, a dime could buy a coke and a candy bar, but I never had any dimes because with two dimes you could buy a dozen eggs, or a loaf of bread, so my mom
had all the dimes and she sure as shit wasn't going to give any to me for something so extravagant.

Silver has been in the teens for at least a couple years. In this cycle it almost broke into the 12's. I bought a lot when it was 13 and change, but I rode it down from 34 where I started. During that ride down in price there were more than a couple times when silver was pretty much unavailable. I know I had to wait for weeks on some of my orders because inventory was so tight. It was industrywide, starting with Sunshine Mint, who makes the rounds that become Silver Eagles, and cascaded through the chains through to the dealers. There were waiting lists for ASE's and premiums were crazy for anything. Various explanations were offered but there was record demand and since the actual metals markets are pretty small it showed how quickly the supply chains would crack, and that's without a real trigger

I would buy silver now if you are waiting to do it. In the long run there isn't much difference between 17 dollar silver and 14 dollar silver

It will be interesting to see the effect of 5 states being downgraded to junk on Monday Morning and all the pension funds that own the bonds of Maine, NJ, Ill, CT, and KY are forced to sell since they are not allowed to own junk bonds in their portfolios. The great deflationary unravel is here. A lot of promises are about to be broken.

JVonChron

might wanna pull the trigger on that. silver is at 16.18 atm. apmex has silver as low as .69 over spot, so 16.87 per oz. for 16.97 you can get buffalo head ounces.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I'm seeing $16.07 right now. Im tempted to pull the trigger on a few ounces. Could go a little lower though.

brown_thumb

I just bought a few ounces of pre-1965 junk coins. I'll be better off investing more in water storage, dried foods, etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts