Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > When do you count the first week of flower

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
When do you count the first week of flower Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 PM #1
growdady

growdady will become famous soon enough
When do you count the first week of flower

Hello everyone this morning I had a pretty heated debate. This debate was with 2 local growers. Grower one says he starts counting the first day of flower, the day he switches to 12/12. Grower two says she counts the first day of flower when she see's pistils showing. Her pistils show a week or 2 after she flips her light cycle. I told her that my plants show sex before they are even switched to 12/12. So I ask her, does that mean I count the first day of 12/12 as my first day of flowering. Because my plants already are mature showing hairs before I flip. Her reply was hell yeah, grower one says she's wrong she's a week or 2 already in the flowering stage.

I tell them both that plants are not in flowering because you cut the light to 12/12. And plants are not flowering just because their showing white hairs after flip. I tell them when I first started growing. I counted the first day I flipped the lights to 12/12 as their first day of flower. And plants were never done on time. So I stopped counting on the day I cut the light hours back. I told them to start counting first day of flower when buds are forming little cotton balls. They both disagree with me and each other. How can 3 people have different notions as to when flowering actually starts? Needless to say we were high as a giraffe's ass.

I explained my reasoning was when you actually see flowers forming. That's the first day of flower seems cut and dry but it wasn't. I said no to flipping lights and calling that flowering. Because its not flowering until you see flowers forming. We all cant be right and we all cant be wrong. Curious as to when others count the first day of flower. Sorry for the long read I am still buzzing. I am not the smartest I could be wrong one of them could be right. When do you start counting the first day of flower?
growdady is offline Quote

Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 PM #2
Shalako

Shalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura about
I start at first full 12/12 light cycle and only use this date for a reference until I dial a strain in too my liking...then it becomes a definite number of days until chop, chop.

If your going to keep track, you have to start somewhere, so to each his own.
Shalako is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 PM #3
Switcher56
Confortably numb!

Switcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant futureSwitcher56 has a brilliant future
I veg 8 weeks. Last week of veg = 12/12. After that Xsition week, the plant is in its first week of bloom. "cotton balls normally develop at week two of bloom.
Switcher56 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 PM #4
hyposomniac

hyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nice
I guess pay attention to both.
Counting from the flip is easier if you have a handful of varieties.. Some plants trigger way faster than others, and it's a useful thing to observe as well.
hyposomniac is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 AM #5
growdady

growdady will become famous soon enough
Thanks fellow blades for the input. Yeah we had a heated debate about this and it seems everyone has a way of doing things. I guess no way is the wrong way it depends on your preference when it comes to growing. I find I'm finishing at 8-9 weeks going by the way im counting their done.
growdady is offline Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 01:49 AM #6
Shalako

Shalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura aboutShalako has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by growdady View Post
Thanks fellow blades for the input. Yeah we had a heated debate about this and it seems everyone has a way of doing things. I guess no way is the wrong way it depends on your preference when it comes to growing. I find I'm finishing at 8-9 weeks going by the way im counting their done.
90% out there today fall into the 8-9wk category Imo, but finding the sweet spot is different for everyone from my experience.
Shalako is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 AM #7
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud of
First day 12/12 is day 1 flower, even though the plants arent showing pistil clusters yet its still flowering. Flowering from sexually mature seed plants or clones are the best way to get an accurate idea on finish time imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
Sadly Pseudoscience works the same way, and dunning kruger aint helping much either...
The Science Of Grow Lighting (HPS, CMH, LED) & Photosynthesis Explained: (Sticky Thread)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358147

The Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth, Information On Long Term Preservation: (Sticky Thread)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358186

Tons Of Information On Growing, Root Systems and Breeding:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344347

Silicon, The Misunderstood Element.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352413

Tons of information on Humic/Fulvic acid and sources:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352265

HOW TO GET 1.5+ GRAMS PER WATT!:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....330588&page=29

A Guide On When To Plant Outdoors & Force Flowering:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352312

Ibechillin is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:50 AM #8
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by growdady View Post
When do you start counting the first day of flower?
I grow indoor, so I start counting the day I switch to flower. The reason for the count is so I have an accurate time of how long this particular cut takes to mature. This is the data which is most important for me.

As you've pointed out, different people count different things as 'flowering time.' This leads to a bit of confusion when different people talk about the same genetics. Some breeders count from the day they first see flowers, others from the day they flip. Outdoor growers also have differences in how they determine flowering time. All of them seem to consider 'ripeness' differently, which also has a huge impact on 'flowering time' they list.

Personally, I take any breeder information with a grain of salt and do my own counting. I'm the one who's going to use my data, so I do it my way. I use trichome amber percentage to determine when to harvest. Breeder pack information is definitely not something I hold a hard line with. Vague suggestions only.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote