What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds get better and stronger year after year better hybrids

jrelax

Hi

Today is new times.

20years ago we had 15% THC and 1-3 CBD seeds.

Today we have 10 + CBD
30+ THC

Old people like old stuff.
Anyway future is the most important for all of us.

Things getting better, look lab results. We got lots nice seeds today

What is your modern favorite?
What is your old favorite?

cant wait what future brings. Many seed makers has done miracles last years.

CBD is really cool today , you can find it in 20:1 ratios.
The latest is maybe 31-32-to 1

Things get better.
That old smoke is not best anymore. Trust me
You can find that, or better today

If you need HIGH THC , this is possible today, now you can have
20+ easy
Before it was only 10-12

If you need CBD, 5+ is not a problem.
Before it was 1-2 only

This is getting better also.

Stop believe old is best. Thats nothing today.
Make a lab test if you dont believe me :)

The only good thing with future is that we got better and better seeds, and more easy buy them.
This is a good thing anyway. :)

3rd-3yed

Veteran

The only good thing with future is that we got better and better seeds, and more easy buy them.

THC % don't mean great quality of high. If you like strong boring high then modern genepool will suit you better.

Please stop creating useless threads, all the infos you seek have already been debated on IC many years ago.

Som 2

The 15% THC of 20 years ago didn't mean that weed was never stronger than 15% back then. It was an average. THC percentage is going up because there is less schwag brickweed on the market. The good stuff back then was as good as the good stuff now. The difference is that back then nobody was having pristine samples of their best stuff tested by labs. All the testing was done by law enforcement and was of product that was handled roughly. I had a cut in 1990 that people would still want today, it came from one of the Dutch banks. A lot of today's elites are just polyhybrids built out of the lines sold by the Seed Bank and the Super Sativa Seed Club in the '80s.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Here's my quick take. As advanced as all the modern strains are they are very frequently similar to everything else. So much of the breeders choices at to which traits to choose for or against were decided by whoever made or failed to makes those choices previously. Somewhat limiting possible outcomes sticking with only modern strains. This is part an exaggeration as there are more than enough modern strains to keep the majority of breeders with plenty to work on.

On the other hand. Old strains. The furthur back you go the more diverse the cannabinoid and terpene profile becomes. As less or maybe nobody at all has chose to add or remove traits through selective breeding. So to the average smoker or even breeder these older strains may seem less desirable. Less flavorful, less potent and just less in your face wow. Unless someone finds truly special examples and starts improving upon these trait. Also immediately in turn choosing against some other trait they may or may not be desirable. This is why some people long for the herb they used to smoke. For some reason the trait they seek has been selected away from. For many reasons. To pick another trait, convenience (time, weight), bad luck (cops, loss of genetics).

My thought is old will be the next modern. When people get past bag appeal and more people get older unworked or less worked strains in their breeding projects this is where the next new best highs and flavors will be discovered.

Old x old, old x modern, modern x old and so on. It will be great! Just as long as they put as much effort into preserving the diversity of the old.

Anyway. I mostly prefer sativa domimant more modern plants to grow and consume. But as far as seed purchases for my hobby breeding it is equal parts old and modern as I understand if I want to find something truly unique I have to go back in time as far as my wallet and small garden allow and find something I have not experienced and hopefully improve upon it.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Actually lied about the consume part. Tropical sativas are my favorite smoke. Low ceiling and trying to shave a month or so off the end keeps more usually growing more worked sativas and hybrids.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Things get better.
That old smoke is not best anymore. Trust me
You can find that, or better today

If you need HIGH THC , this is possible today, now you can have
20+ easy
Before it was only 10-12

If you need CBD, 5+ is not a problem.
Before it was 1-2 only

This is getting better also.

The older the sample the more unique the test results. I am of the opinion the diversity found in the older sample is far more important. We all ready have high thc and cbd. I will find thid more ironic and even hilarious as the understanding of how the different profiles interact. As guess you could say high thc and cbd are already old news and people already have close to millions of options if thats what they find most important.

jrelax

Be real. Or lie

We have that you got 30years ago still.
Why ?
They still grow
Nature does that.

Today breeders is better.
They can make better.

I found all old shit right now against new ones.

Try new ones before answer here please :)

Old chevy is nice. New Mecedez AMG is better

TRUST ME.

anyway you like old chevys,
this is ok.

Dont race them with new AMG BENZ please :)

This is true

Som 2

I think the working of tropical sativa lines to get them to be easier to grow indoors probably changed the highs inadvertently. When you are selecting for a trait like shorter flowering or less stretch what you are actually changing is the hormonal expression of the plant which can have other, unintended knock on effects. This is probably why modern sativas don't quite have the same high as the old ones.

If you want to see an example of this in animal breeding, Belyaev's experiments on domesticating foxes. He selected for one trait - docility, but within a four generations it had changed the physical traits giving the domesticated foxes floppy ears, shorter snouts and legs, different fur colors and different patterns of going into heat.

When breeding plants we need to be aware that breeding for one trait may also change many others unintentionally.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
If you want high THC, or high CBD, or any other form of one-dimensional cannabinoid experience, you can do so now by going straight to distillates. Why should genetic diversity and cannabinoid spectra be diminished all because people want to find 30+% THC in their flowers? It's so weird. And indicative of the Budweiser mindset that most people have when it comes to recreational substances.

jrelax

Cool answers here now :)

Me self like old stuff and new stuff.

The best is 10-15 thc
Lots of CBD also 2-3 atleast

I mix different strains right now.

The new ones with High THC is to hard for me.
i mix them with high cbd also

20% candida cd1
and 80% what ever

I got panic if i only smoke the best top thc .
This is just me

Many like lots of thc

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Be real. Or lie

Why ?
They still grow
Nature does that.

They can make better.

TRUST ME.

this is ok.

This is true

I feel we need to discuss the definition of "better".

Last edited:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I will say this. There are more people breeding with large populations, more available strains, more science and more interaction between breeders than ever before. The future of cannabis is very exciting right now.

Cvh

Supermod
Indeed jrelax, there are lots and lots of strains in this era.
I hope you can find a few that will bring you some medicinal relief.

Stay medicated!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

:ying:

what we have today is in no way better to thai, Colombian, punto rojo, afghani, Durban, thc % means jack, I find you funny coming on a forum as old as this one saying guys trust me these new designer hybrids are better, listen to what real experienced guys have to say before you start trying to tell people things, like taking women advice from a 13 year old

djonkoman

Veteran
imo, thc% is a mostly worthless value(unless you go to the extreme like industrial hemp with <0.3 %).

ofcourse it makes sense with the ridiculous prices/gram that you want the best value for your money if you're buying.
but for growing myself, I prefer weed were maybe the raw potency is lower, but the type of high is better.

raw potency matters very little if you have jars full of your own harvest, I just throw more weed and less tobacco in a joint. also tastes better, with strong weed where a joint requires more tobacco the tobacco-taste is more overpowering. I also use a vaporizer, and there the biggest difference between stronger and less strong(but still good quality) weed is that it stops producing vapor faster, so you need to load the bowl a bit more often. not a big deal.

but I've always preferred my own outdoor grown, even in my first years of growing when the quality wasn't as good as it is now, there was just something about the high that felt better, more 'complete', and with a higher ceiling. if I smoke a lot of coffeeshop-weed, I eventually just fall asleep on the couch(even with strains with a lot of sativa in it, for commercial weed, like hazes), or if I'm with friends we end up as one of those zombie-circles where everyone is just morphing into the couch, relaxed but not doing much, sometimes even conversations halt and we're just spacing on music. that's still nice on occassions, but I like it more if I have weed where I get gigly and silly if I smoke a lot, get funny stonerideas and get way too focussed on talking about something, or have 'deep'(as long as you're stoned) stonerconversations. and I'm still able to stand up from the couch and do stuff(although some things can be really confusing, but funny, in my head, but my body is still fine to stand up and do stuff).

I think that's one of the bad effects from illegalisation, people have been focussing on potency and thc% for too long to apreciate how much more there is. unfortunatly I wasn't alive during the hippie-era, because I would have loved to sample all those legendary sativa's I hear about, even if potency was a lot lower as current commercial weed.

CowboyTed

imo, thc% is a mostly worthless value

Agreed. Frankly, I suspect that most of the "lab tested" THC numbers we see lately (at least at Colorado dispensaries) are simply made-up numbers. Those numbers don't seem to have any relation to the high. Last week a friend came over with a joint from a local dispensary. The label said 28% THC. We smoked the joint, and I simply did not get high - at all.

If I have to smoke more than a joint to get high, the THC numbers they reported are apparently meaningless.

Color me skeptical of reported THC percentages. Sadly, too much of the market is tightly focused on those made-up numbers, and consumers just won't buy bud from a dispensary unless the number is high. But my observation of Colorado dispensaries is that most of the available bud is mediocre at best. I get the sense that the industrial scale of production is causing this poor quality: dispensaries harvest entire rooms full of plants at once, even when many of the plants in that room are not yet mature. They focus on getting the highest weight of bud as quickly as they can, and the quality of the high suffers.

Sadly, the dispensaries are happily selling as much of that immature bud as they can grow, so they won't change their processes anytime soon.

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Be real. Or lie

Why ?
They still grow
Nature does that.

They can make better.

TRUST ME.

this is ok.

This is true

I didn't wanted to answer your nonsense but when you're comparing your new Seedman fem hybrids "Gelato OG", "Badazz OG" and "Black Sugar" to legendary cultivars it's an insult to the community and old breeders wich have done most of the hard work for your so called newschool "breeders" (pollen chuckers)...

Randomly matching two already worked hybrids then selling the offspring is not "work" imo... And most of the time the parental stock they use is not stable or worked at all. That's what we call polyhybrids and nowadays they're used as P1... Call it AMG if you want I call it fraud destined to please ignorant newbies like you. Even the names of those new Polyhybrids are lame.

Did you even tried a pure Afghani to tell us it's worse than your feminised hack seeds?

And to assume the genepool of the 60's and 70's remained the same is a joke ! Even if some lines are still preserved many where lost due to war on drug (ex: eradication programs like Nixon did with paraquat in Mexico) plus other factors like long flowering time/less yield with NLD cultivars made them less suitable for "commercial" crops.

BTW many of us grow the new hype stuff you seek, like Cookie or OG, but from original clones not fem.

TRUST ME. :laughing:

jrelax

Wow

lots answers here
nothing helps beginners

Old is best , no lab results also

Trust me.
New seed makes work hard.

We also got lab results of some.

The new ones is many times old in some way.

If you say OLD ONES IS THE BEST, and no lab results.
This is best maybe to you, or some.

Today
most breeders makes the same as you old guys.
Good stuff
NO LAB RESULTS

What i want 2018 is
Lab results

Breeders:
Make that you do also on paper from labs please.

I am sending soon my OWN grown stuff from you to LAB.

Why is this going on without breeder self lab and show ?

i have under 800 euro every month, sometimes only 600 euro . month.
my bills is 210euro
i dont have much left,
Then i need buy food also and there is nothing left almost
Im poor

Cars is my dream cars only.

dont take me wrong please