What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Opinions, govt oil vs homebrewed

Curious if anyone has experience with NY legal oil. Is it worth it, strong enough? It's exorbitantly expensive. I make my own on occasion, using trim and roaches, and it's pretty stoney.
I'm 99% sure my wife is about to be diagnosed with colon cancer.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I am guessing making your own will be a far better value if you have access to clean product. Be weary of where it is from. Much commercial products have been treated for bugs or mildew and I would stay away from it. Hopefully you know a trustworthy grower.

Best of luck. Hope all is well.

Mengsk

shovelhead it isn't easy to answer. I bought a $60 vial "tincture" from a dispensary here in CA. I guess it is ok, meaning it is CBD, but I got a headache from it. I took a few drops for a few days then I felt like I did not like it anymore. That sums up my entire experience, I would refund this vial for $60 if they would take it back.

Not easy for access practically speaking. Because this means you have to actually get your hands on quality buds. The CBD extracts are hit or miss I'm afraid. The field might be too new to know whether isolated or synthetic CBD powder compares favourably to let's say more natural methods. Some cannabis has 1% CBD so they are extracting that, while other cannabis has 20% CBD. Our medical system is not set up for this either. It would not surprise me if a hospital did a clinical trial extremely limited in scope on a synthetic CBD powder. But they would be looking in the wrong direction and completely missing the point by not giving all of their patients full spectrum RSO cannabis oil.

I purchased some "CBD sap" they had, which was for vaping or inhaling/smoking. That stuff worked wonders. I don't take much in the way of drugs at all but I could tell this is weed that doesn't get you high but it makes your muscles feel relaxed. Like I can go to the gym right afterwards without any social anxiety, just relaxation physical more than mental.

Access is the biggest deal for most people. My recommendation is to seek out sources of quality flower (pot weed cannabis, especially the higher CBD varieties). It is maybe a little ironic, if you purchase and make absolute top quality oil at home, the price might not be too far off from what they sell over the counter. But I don't think the products compare. The pure CBD vial is not going to do it for you like a pound of manicured buds which is subsequently made into oil full spectrum extract or Rick Simpson Oil etc.

PDX Dopesmoker

Homemade stuff will always be better than what came from the store because you know what you put into the homemade stuff

Mengsk

The very obvious issue with extracts, and regulation. When you get cannabis you know exactly what it is you are getting. Nobody actually sells "laced weed" or at least it is quite rare. I'm not acutely aware of a time that I honestly thought I smoked something laced.

When you are presented an extract however you have absolutely no idea what it is you're getting. Obviously this is the whole reason for knowing people, trust, and/or regulation. From the consumer's point of view hash or butane extracted oil could easily disguise any impurity or toxin or poison you can imagine. We take it for granted but black market drugs can be anything, which is pretty much true for every drug except cannabis. Flowers are obvious what you're getting once it's oil you don't know unless you saw where it came from.

We face a moment now where it's like is this vial going to kill me? No the FDA said there's nothing harmful in there. But does it actually work, is there anything in there? This part I don't think we have an answer to yet.

Nobody wants to buy bad oil, whether it is legal or illegal. I don't know if places are overcharging or selling snake oil or the supply is severely limited.

igrowone

Veteran
well, i'm on the ground in NY myself
not in the categories that would qualify, so haven't tasted this fruit of NY
and haven't seen anyone from NY post about medical experiences
but if someone knows about such, i'd be damn curious what they making in the NY system
looks like tight monitoring, quality from a safety point of view might be quite good

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Curious if anyone has experience with NY legal oil. Is it worth it, strong enough? It's exorbitantly expensive. I make my own on occasion, using trim and roaches, and it's pretty stoney.
I'm 99% sure my wife is about to be diagnosed with colon cancer.

What's the price from a NY dispensary? I heard they were starting to sell ground up flowers for vaporizing that could be smoked, the NY Med rules are a big joke and I wouldn't trust the products either.

High quality FECO oil is $50 $60 a gram on the street if you can find it, I saw prices as low as $75 a gram for RSO in med dispensaries in Mass.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
What's the price from a NY dispensary? I heard they were starting to sell ground up flowers for vaporizing that could be smoked, the NY Med rules are a big joke and I wouldn't trust the products either.

High quality FECO oil is $50 $60 a gram on the street if you can find it, I saw prices as low as $75 a gram for RSO in med dispensaries in Mass.

As low as 75? Thats terrible.

Mengsk

I understand that cannabis is being treated as an agricultural crop but yeah something about that doesn't seem to quite add up. CBD oil is quoted to be sold by the gallon and "the good stuff" is $50-100 a gram where I am too. Mind you I am referring to dispensary products, there can be a little confusion when talking about hemp plants vs cannabis plants, I am fairly certain the sap I bought was cannabis and the tincture was hemp. Short supply or the extraction process is difficult, price gouging may not be the only reason.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I guess Im not familiar with the cbd oil. Last I saw rso was around 20 a gram but I have not stepped foot in the club in about 5 years.

Steven/nevetS

All i know the cannabis community one day this was comming.
Always told us they cant tax what you can grow out the ground naturaly , hence opium/morphine/diomrphine/sythetic alterations = first one created by God out the ground & free the rest cost.
Weed, forget how many synthetic versions there are now many deadly except weed.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Yeah thats awful, especially for a supposedly life-saving medicine which isn't covered by insurance. I harvest between 25%-30% making RSO off untrimmed bud, it should be a relatively inexpensive product.

I can't post pics since my computer died but I have a photo of a receipt for a gram of RSO from a MN dispo that retailed for almost $300 a gram with tax, I'm told west coast bulk prices are $3.50 a gram for a kilo....

https://col-careny.com/products/

Here's a link to what is available to NY. They don't list prices anywhere, maybe I'll give them a call. I guess I already knew the answer anyway, anything I make will be superior to what I can get from there.
I'm not asking for charity, I've got some oil here, enough trim for another small batch, couple of ounces coming out of my micro grow cab in a week. I am just going to have to increase my operation. Well, I've been a lazy stoner a long time, but I can get off my ass if I have to.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
https://col-careny.com/products/

Here's a link to what is available to NY. They don't list prices anywhere, maybe I'll give them a call. I guess I already knew the answer anyway, anything I make will be superior to what I can get from there.
I'm not asking for charity, I've got some oil here, enough trim for another small batch, couple of ounces coming out of my micro grow cab in a week. I am just going to have to increase my operation. Well, I've been a lazy stoner a long time, but I can get off my ass if I have to.

You will need pounds. And you should not worry about asking for scraps. It is a plant. Everything wrong with the price situation is 100% the fault of the legal situation in our country. In a just world we would all have a cupboard filled with extracts incase a loved one needed them.

Not trying to go political on you. But people charging high prices to save live are in fact choosing their financial well being over your familys health. And this is the ONLY reason there is even a need to discuss this.

I wish you the best sir.