What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What’s the deal with these new LED lights?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Also put into account cxb is 2 times more expensive than viparspectra.

And from their product description :

1 + meter height???? Maybe for growing cabbages and tomatoes :chin:

What's the recommended height for viper spectra dudes??

Also got another thread going on the height distance.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358203

Waw I'm loving icmag, so much information :)
I use a PAR meter:

• cuttings/seedlings ~ 60-90 umol;
  • clones ~ 100-200 umol;
  • veg ~ 300-425 umol; and
  • flower ~ 700-1200 umol
FWIW I don't even look at lights that don't have a chart!!! No closer than 12 and no further than 24" from the canopy. Within prescribed limits (starting point only) I raise or lower my light to achieve 300-400 umol on the fringes. 3x3 space, 4 plants

Hubbleman

Veteran
That's the thing my space is 2x2x5

Very tight. I afraid those powerful CBX lights might be of a problem, even with short indicas

Hubbleman

Veteran
use a PAR meter:
cuttings/seedlings ~ 60-90 umol;clones ~ 100-200 umol;veg ~ 300-425 umol; andflower ~ 700-1200 umol

So does that mean flowers/buds have better tolerance towards direct strong light??

And what's a PAR meter, and whats umol?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
PAR is the section of the light spectrum deemed most useful for plants. Its measured in umol.

A par meter will tell you if you have your lights the right distance to be providing consistent growth.. plants dont want too much light or they have various issues relating to water/nutrient/co2 limitations,, and with too little they stretch like crazy.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
So does that mean flowers/buds have better tolerance towards direct strong light??

And what's a PAR meter, and whats umol?
OK! Let's speak metaphorically here. Would you place an infant outside in the sun, in the middle of the afternoon in July without sunscreen? No! Why? their skin is too sensitive, it hasn't hardened off yet. That is also why we see clones get lots of light. Why? They had the time to harden off while on their moms, but they are also held under a humidity dome until they root. They can take the light, but require high humidity until they get their roots going as, until they have roots, nothing is sending water or nutes up the plant to prevent it from drying out and dying.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
PAR is the section of the light spectrum deemed most useful for plants. Its measured in umol.

A par meter will tell you if you have your lights the right distance to be providing consistent growth.. plants dont want too much light or they have various issues relating to water/nutrient/co2 limitations,, and with too little they stretch like crazy.
^^ what he said ^^ :)

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
My posts on the first page of this thread, and my The Science Of Grow Lighting (HPS, CMH, LED) & Photosynthesis Explained! thread should have answered all your questions...

Last edited:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
You can use a lux meter even though no it isnt technically the fact of the matter where our green friends are concerned.. there are lux - par conversions for the sumsung diodes so that people on a budget can do some measuring with their old or cheap lux meter and convert it into a fairly accurate approximation of PAR..

There is nothing in an appropriate price range in the uk that is for sure PAR meter wise. You can get a hydrogarden one on ebay with all excise and customs cleared for around £130 i think i paid. It is not top class but it works 100% well from what i can tell and at the moment thats all im interested in.

They're worth it long term for sure, why fuck about with wondering if your light is the right distance using your hand and shit to try and gauge if its safe for them lol.. still if you're on it and you arent hammering your plants and you have the light a sensible distance you'll be fine without like millions.. You just have to dial it in like anything new you bring in to your grow environment.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Measurement of total PAR is PPF, PPF = μmol/s

To find PPFD:

first find out how many square meters your space is.
3x3 space = 0.836127 square meter

Then take your PPF or μmol/s and divide by your square meters.

example a light has 700 PPF or μmol/s at 12" height.

700 PPF or μmol/s divided by 0.836127 = ~837 PPFD

THC123

Veteran
THC123

Let's get down to cases :joint:

Amazon reviews:

1 star

4 star

5 star

5 star

5 star

5 star

Plus another SIX 5 star reviews.

In fact, in all 12 reviews there was only ONE negative review.

After what THC said I'm considering 're ordering it, as I got very small grow space 2 x 2 feet

For a small space they could work but not for a larger space. I had nice bud development, better than with 600watt hps.

Hubbleman

Veteran
What I like about viper is abundant blue specrrum

Which means no stretching and nice compact plants