What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What’s the deal with these new LED lights?

Robinson

Where do you plan to grow? indoor / outdoor? What is your tent size? Please describe your growing conditions.
If you take without the above information, it is quite an excellent LED light, a small tent fits perfectly. Plus, all this is a great price on the stock.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ive been doing alot of research lately into led lights. Skoomd did alot of research and growing with multiple budget led lights. He reccomends the Roleadro brand on amazon as the best budget $70-$100 led fixtures and pulled 1.25+ grams per watt with 3 plants vegged for 8 weeks in a 2x4x5 grow tent. Comes with 30 day money back guarantee and 2 year warranty. Skoomd had his worst results with Mars Hydro and Viparspectra.

This is the light he used 140w actual power draw $99 covers 2x2 area:

https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Galaxyhydro-Indoor-Spectrum-Flower-1000w/dp/B00PH1MQV8

Roleadro's newest led is a 140w Cob fixture $70 covers 2x2 area:

https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Spectrum-Function-Generation-Flowering/dp/B077YKVVLY?th=1

DIY Quantum boards and samsung led strip builds are the best if you can spend the bit of extra $

Last edited:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
why are you buying cheap shit straight from china? They try and make sure anything they make has a really short lifespan.

Buy a HLG board or a decent COB.. Also i would take Amazon reviews with a large pinch of salt..

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Please read this thread I made about photosynthesis and grow lighting

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358147

Here is the post from skoomd on budget led fixtures and their light spectrums and grow/yield results.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microgrowery/comments/6z12zu/viparspectra_leds_are_a_huge_scam_heres_why_long/?st=jpdxoxyn&sh=a3e6469e

All Viparspectra lights have this same spectrum which is absolute shit for flowering!

Vipar-Spectra-Spectrum..jpg

Here is the Roleadro 1000w (140w actual) that skoomd used $98.99, advertised is 845 ppfd 12" above canopy:

https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Galaxyhydro-Indoor-Spectrum-Flower-1000w/dp/B00PH1MQV8

here is the spectrum for ^that light, double the intensity of correct red light spectrum for flowering:

69251dd0-8451-46ef-93a7-b2459085f1fe._SL300__.jpg

Here is the newer Roleadro 300w (140w actual) Cob fixture $69.99,
advertised is 685 ppfd 12" above canopy:

https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Spectrum-Function-Generation-Flowering/dp/B077YKVVLY?th=1

here is the spectrum for the COB light (straighter line):

71%2BJ6HCmO%2BL._SX569_.jpg

Hubbleman

Veteran
why are you buying cheap shit straight from china? They try and make sure anything they make has a really short lifespan.

Buy a HLG board or a decent COB.. Also i would take Amazon reviews with a large pinch of salt..

Righty ho, i cancelled viparspectra order, the fact that there Chinese was a deal breaker for me, I've had enough bad experience with Chinese products :nono:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Galaxy Hydro/Roleadro (same company), Mars Hydro and Viparspectra are all chinese manufacturers...Roleadro seems to be the only one genuinely trying to optimize their lights for plants though.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Righty ho, i cancelled viparspectra order, the fact that there Chinese was a deal breaker for me,

where did u think they were made when u ordered it?? they r 69 or 79bucks.... of course they are shiity chinese crap..

and oh by the way.... i bought '3' of the vipar 300watters... so it shows how stupid i am.... and i gave all 3 away...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Pinch? Bag would probably be a better suited word. :tiphat: Have a good WE :)

I'm happy with the 2 Viparspectra 450 that I am currently using. But as another member pointed out on another post , moving parts, Fans will eventually gum up and cause failure of the light. Next time I'll buy something with no moving parts. Heat sinks are the future for me.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Dont get me wrong I dont mind things "made in china" that would be really daft. I mean these days in an enforced and mastermined so called post industrial era in the UK i wouldnt have all sorts of toys if it werent for the dark satanic factories of Asia.. sigh, they used to be our dark satanic mills

:headbange:hotbounce: sasmokin::smoky:

But, imo, its when products are designed as well as made in china that shit goes down hill, add to that the usual little to no English/western speaking representation/customer support and you're in the wild west where companies can start using cheaper parts and cutting corners because a decent % of people will be dissatisfied but if they make enough units enough fools on Amazon might also muddy the waters enough to keep more people taking a risk for the price.

I personally really dig the latest gen samsung diode boards/strips. any rig running them will be worth a shot imo. You'll be so grateful when you see how good and professional they are.

Always buy engineering quality over price. :2cents:

Last edited:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah bro but amazon ratings dont mean shit unless both:

1. you're looking at 50-2000+ reviews AND

2. 75% of the positive reviewers seem like they have a brain (of their own).

Anything under 10-20 reviews and you're a space chimp.. who knows what you gonna get. And thats not always bad so long as you know 100% what you're getting.

Thats an inefficient and relatively weak (compared to what the samsung diodes can do with a wopping 450w) and overly hot blurple rig.. it would grow something but meh. Nice presentation which is often a sign all the cost is in conning you through asthetics..

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
i tried a blurple in an advanced p300 as a test and sent it back after 3 months.. useful they have a 90 return policy.. the price drew me in.

Latest posts

Latest posts