What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Citric Acid

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Maybe plants don't like straight "orange juice"...but some products utilize the chelating attributes of citric acid--such as Mendocino Fuego (Bio-fertilizer with L-amino acids, micronutrients and enzymes). Evidently, "citric acid" is an organic chelating agent.

My plants look straight-up amazing after giving them some OJ.

I took an organic orange peel, simmered it on the stove for several hours, then added that "juice" to each of my watering buckets. Plants are ducky and I would assume they're getting some citric acid.
So basically each 5 gallon water bucket got one cup of orange peel simmerings.

I couldn't imagine it's killing anything but some critters don't seem to care for it and look to habitate elsewhere...like fungus gnats. Damn things ride in with my worm castings, which is why I started with the OJ in the first place.

CannaBrix

The thing with the macroherd is that mine needs SUBSTANTIAL amounts of cannabinoids and terpenes in order to function correctly 8)

But seriously-

I believe my water alkalinity is too high, and citric acid was what I was considering to use to neutralize this. Seems like citric acid should really be the 1st choice acid to neutralize alkaline water, and supply many other benefits as verdantGreen is pointing out

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A form of citric acid is one of many organic acids emitted by roots, bacteria/archaea and fungi. I imagine that using the orange juice helped to release some nutrients from your organic matter. There is potential for causing some harm to worms and nematodes, etc. if this is too concentrated.

Interesting little anecdote!

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WTF is the macro herd? -granger

Herd
picture.php

Microherd
picture.php

:biggrin:
Burn1