What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONING IN COCO ?????

BlindDate

Veteran
Has anyone cloned in coco? I'm not having much luck at it. Plants yellowing and no growth. Please explain how you are doing it. Thanx

sophisto

It can be done. Bury at least one node with rooting compound. I like to scar my stem up a bit before dipping in the compound better rooting IMO. GEt your temps to about 80-90, heating mats work awesome...Nutes 1/4 strength with something like rhizotonic in the mix. GEt a dome of some sort for tough rooters get humidity up to 75-90. Should have results within a week or so...

All this is strain dependant of course....What strain you working with???

M

Mr. Nevermind

I clone in coco and it couldnt be easier. I dont use hormones or gels cuz there really isnt a point or a need for em. Just make sure coco is wet and plug in your clone into it. Maybe an inch or so. I use a dome but its really not needed. All you need to make sure of is that the coco stays moist. I clone 100% in coco coir and never have had one not root on me. Weedwrapperman can confirm that claim.

I dont use a heating pad or any nutes. Just some water, some coco and a plant that wants to live. Look at grat3fuls coco thread, he clones with coco as well and has no issues with it.

Nevermind

G

Mr. Nevermind said:
I clone in coco and it couldnt be easier. I dont use hormones or gels cuz there really isnt a point or a need for em. Just make sure coco is wet and plug in your clone into it. Maybe an inch or so. I use a dome but its really not needed. All you need to make sure of is that the coco stays moist. I clone 100% in coco coir and never have had one not root on me. Weedwrapperman can confirm that claim.

I dont use a heating pad or any nutes. Just some water, some coco and a plant that wants to live. Look at grat3fuls coco thread, he clones with coco as well and has no issues with it.

Nevermind

Exactly.

I do use root stimulator but it may not be necessary.

Get your stuff together cause the only way to really mess up is to go too slowly and let the cutting dry out a little.

Supplies needed:

1. Pruning snips
2. Solo cups with drain holes in the bottom.
3. Plain tap water (some don't pH at this point but I pH it to 5.8) - NO NUTES!
4. Powdered root hormone or cloning gel if you use them.
5. Coco

1. Get your solo cups and fill with 100% coco. Pre wash the coco if necessary.
2. Water the coco till water comes out of the bottom of the cup.
3. Take a pencil and insert it about an inch into the coco, making a hole for the cutting's stem.
4. Take the cutting from the mom. I slice at a very shallow angle to expose more of the stems cells. After the cutting is separated from the mom, immediately I make two or three more cuts into the stem at upward angles. I just snip these cuts about 1/3 or 1/2 the diameter of the stem. That way, as I insert the cutting into the coco, these cuts are spread open and I get even more exposure of the stem to the coco. This improves odds of rooting.
5. I immediately dip the stem into water and then into the rooting compound.
6. Insert the cutting into the hole made in the coco and with your finger tips, press the coco together around the stem to ensure the stem makes contact with the coco.
7. Put the solo cups underneath a high profile dome. I do this so I won't have to worry with watering the cuttings. The dome will keep the humidity up and the coco won't dry out. Make sure your lighting isn't too intense as the new cuttings don't need much of anything at this point, except peace and quiet. lol.

I really can't tell the new cuttings are even aware of what just happened because they don't miss a lick. Mine don't droop and the plant's cells maintain their turgor well.

IMPORTANT!!!

Keep all fans and strong drafts away from the cuttings at this point. The roots that begin to form start out as just a few cells and any movement of the stem as these roots try to get started will cause them to rip off as they attempt to attach to the medium.

You'll know the coco is still moist by looking at the condensation on the inside of the dome. You should be able to see condensation on the inside of the dome if you moistened the coco before you put the cutting in and if you haven't kept raising the dome.

After a few days, you can water the cuttings with a mild solution meant for new cuttings. Very mild...

I hope this helps and if I left something out, I'm sure someone will take up my slack.

Peace

G

i just tried it for the first time and it worked fine. i filled small, clear plastic cups w/coco, added tap water, plopped the cuttings in, set em off to the side of my veg room under low light and they are showing roots now. i used clear cups to see roots when they appear. i did have to water them once.

G

Pretty easy as long as a person doesn't love em to death. :canabis: :yes:

A while back, I chopped some males and put the remnants in a plastic grocery bag and laid them on the floor of the garage. I got busy and forgot to finish the job. We do such a good job of using the garage for storage, we can't park the cars in there so I don't go out there as often as the average person. Anyway, I came back and found them two weeks later. I looked in the bag and the plants looked like I'd just cut them up. Leaves were still green and healthy looking. I took a couple of cuttings just for grins and tried to root them. They rooted and went on about their business like nothing had ever happened.

The plants want to grow and cloning shouldn't be something we worry about.

I haven't done this with cannabis but in other areas of my gardening, I've actually rooted cuttings while still on the plant. Make a cut about 2/3 way through the stem. Bend the stem so the cut opens up and wedge a toothpick into the cut to hold the cut open. Wet some peat moss and wad it up around the stem where you've made the cut. Wrap clear plastic around the whole little wad and tape it. In a few days you'll see roots growing in the peat moss. Cut the stem just below the original cut, take the plastic off and you've got a cutting with roots to plant.

Peace

BlindDate

Veteran
Thanx guys,

I'm doing just about everything recommended. I wonder if my lighting is too strong, 400 MH @ 24 inches?

I've had strains that would root if you spit on them. These Heavy Duty Fruitys are much more difficult.

Last edited:
G

Light: 40w floro, I used a damn desklamp last time lol. 400w seems really big for cuttings..

80-100% humidity - dome or no dome, as long as I keep the area in that range..

Root temps: ahh just keep them warm, too warm and they get slimy and shit out on ya... pretend it's a newborn baby

Rooting powder: regular home depot stuff

I take cuttings from every part of the plant.. all root about the same time. I also let my cuttings soak in either KLN or just liquid karma for a few hours. Next I scrape the stem a bit, dip it in your rooting stuff and stick it in the coco. Thats about it... the only time I lose cuttings is if I forget to water them or if they were really, really shitty coming off the plant... this is one of the few aspects of growing that I can comfortably say I have on lockdown :rasta:

Last edited:
B

Brain

I've done it. Nothing fancy. No dome or gel. Just keep the coco moist. It's worked well rooting SFV OG that doesn't root well in the aerocloner.

texasluv

BlindDate said:
Thanx guys,

I'm doing just about everything recommended. I wonder if my lighting is too strong, 400 MH @ 24 inches?

I've had strains that would root if you spit on them. These Heavy Duty Fruitys are much more difficult.

I used to stick my clone tray at the bottom of my veg room about 5' from a 1000W MH and I always had problems with some of the clones dying or wilting badly. I found that any HID light seems to negatively affect the clones I take unless the light is far, far away. I now have a shelf in a closet I set my clones on and use a single 23W CFL daylight bulb and get 100% cloning success every time. I haven't even had a clone wilt since I switched over to this method. The fresh clones need so little light its amazing.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll tag in here, too:

I've got a bunch of cuts in coco up top of my veg tent close to the 400w MH. They're

almost all yellowing, drying out too fast, wilting, etc....

I have a second batch on the floor about 3'-3 1/2' away next to some rockwoolers and

they look hot to trot.

Note to self: don't be such an idiot.

Peace, Love, & Coco

BlindDate

Veteran
OK...I'm going to give it another try. I have a light meter so I'll check the intensity 5 inches from my good-ol flouro and raise the MH until it matches.

These are the cuttings when first taken:

This is 3 weeks later!!!

Last edited:

brah

inspired by this thread im going to just snip some off and put them under my dome in some moist coco

i will report back

c0c0 r00lz

G

Just out of curiosity... for those of you who are getting the yellowing when your clones root out, what are you guys feeding them? Even under 40w floros I give my babies some canna a+b at an EC of 0.5+ and a bit higher a few days after the roots pop...

when I first started cloning in coco, I was scared of over ferting and killing them...this is when I used to get the yellowing...

Last edited:

BlindDate

Veteran
I have to admit that I did not start to feed until 3 weeks. In an aerocloner I would get signs of growth without any nutes and then start feeding. I was waiting for growth that never came in the coco.

G

Ya... under the 400w I would atleast start them off at EC 0.7

I completely understand what your talking about with the cloner... coco is a different beast though... here is a little tip for ya, this same principle applies to transplanting as well. If the coco your transplanting into does not have enough food (before or after transplant), you will start to notice all the same problems as with the clones...

Straight tap water here. Though I've gone back to jiffys cos it's easier to see roots pop out the side. If I could find coco jiffy type things I'd rock those instead

Latest posts

Latest posts