What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are the origins of Jamaican marijuana?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If anyone believes that Cannabis was in the Americas before Columbus where is an example of Cannabis seeds, pollen, or fibers that is pre 1492 that was found in the Americas?
I need scientific proof, not just faith it must of happened.

This week I saw a new presentation by Dr John McPartland at the ICRS and he lists many samples found around the world that were even older then 1,000,000 years old.
None were found in the Americas that were older then 1492, why is that?

-SamS

Last edited:
W

Water-

obviously because they haven't found any yet,
but to jump to the conclusion that it is impossible is not smart archaeology.

Best to keep an open mind.

There is an almost endless list of evidence of pre colombian contact across the oceans.

The american civilizations did not arise independent of outside contact.

like I said before, if it was here in small quantities at limited locations you may never find it.

It most likely came on chinese, or japanese ships that used Hemp

W

Water-

Jefferson was Ambassador to France during the hashish era there. At risk of imprisonment if caught, Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China known for their potency to America. However, as far as our research takes us, he never said or wrote, “Some of my finest hours have been spent sitting on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see.”

Even older
George Washington The father of our country kept meticulous diaries, wherein he noted “Sowed hemp at muddy hole by swamp” away from the hemp he grew for fiber. “Began to separate the male from female plants at do [sic –rather too late” and “Pulling up the (male) hemp. Was too late for the blossom hemp by three weeks or a month” indicates he was going for female plants with higher THC content. There is also indication he used hemp preparations to deal with his toothaches.

James monroe....

Andrew jackson...

All way before 1920

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hasheesh_Eater

The Hasheesh Eater (1857)
is an autobiographical book by American Fitz Hugh Ludlow describing the author's altered states of consciousness and philosophical flights of fancy while he was using a cannabis extract. In the United States, the book created popular interest in hashish, leading to hashish candy and private hashish clubs.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Yes, I said as much but I tried to imagine how they could have brought seeds, I shouldn't have said that most of them were promised a better future.. but I still stand that a lot of slaves were not taken by force but rather sold a better future in a new world... as is done with present time slavery/human trafficking

It probably wasn't the slaves the ones who brought the seeds but the slave traders, so they could cope with the hard work and explotation. Something similar happened with the colonies when they used to give the alcohol to the slaves so they could deal with it... often they were even payed for their work with coupons to be traded with alcohol. Hardwork, diseases and alcoholism were often killing them.

It happened in Jamaica on the sugar cane plantations but also Brazil or even Mexico in the colonies era. For some of them, smoking could have been already part of their culture, others like the mexican indians embraced it after the Cannabis was actually introduced as an industrial crop for rope making and their very own curanderas adopted it for their own ritual use and a medicine.

Ganja culture came from India and even in Jamaica it was mostly a thing from the indian ghettos. It's introduction in Jamaica happened after the colonies, in a similar way to the bananas and coconuts, also Asian crops. What we don't really know is if it arrived during the slavery era or just after the abolition of slavery in 1833, when the british colonies started introducing indentured workers from India who actually lived almost like slaves. First it was the africans, then the indians.

Ganja, bananas or mangos weren't present in America before they were introduced from Asia back then, just in the same way there weren't any tomatos, peppers, tobacco, vanilla or potatos outside America at the time.

Cheers.:tiphat:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Indian contract workers were on one hand involved in bringing Cannabis seeds to the New World.
Arabs on the other hand brought Cannabis to Africa, western part and the east.Arabs were involved into the slave trade for 14 centuries.

W

Water-

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...et-potato-crossed-the-pacific-before-columbus

"When it comes to spreading food around the world, Christopher Columbus and his European compatriots get most of the credit.

Yes, they introduced some quintessential ingredients into European and Asian cuisine. Who could imagine Italian food without the tomato? Or Indian and Chinese dishes without the spicy kick of chili peppers?

But anthropologists think that a few foods made the 5,000-mile trek across the Pacific Ocean long before Columbus landed in the New World. And their proof is in the potato — the sweet potato.

By analyzing the DNA of 1,245 sweet potato varieties from Asia and the Americas, researchers have found a genetic smoking gun that proves the root vegetable made it all the way to Polynesia from the Andes — nearly 400 years before Inca gold was a twinkle in Ferdinand and Isabella's eyes."

W

Water-

Indian contract workers were on one hand involved in bringing Cannabis seeds to the New World.
Arabs on the other hand brought Cannabis to Africa, western part and the east.Arabs were involved into the slave trade for 14 centuries.

The Carthaginians claim to have sailed around Africa by 600 bc and im sure they were not the first

The Romans were trading in southern Africa for sure.

"Herodotus' story
Libya is washed on all sides by the sea except where it joins Asia, as was first demonstrated, so far as our knowledge goes, by the Egyptian king Necho, who, after calling off the construction of the canal between the Nile and the Arabian Gulf, sent out a fleet manned by a Phoenician crew with orders to sail west about and return to Egypt and the Mediterranean by way of the Straits of Gibraltar. The Phoenicians sailed from the Arabian Gulf into the southern ocean, and every autumn put in at some convenient spot on the Libyan coast, sowed a patch of ground, and waited for next year's harvest. Then, having got in their grain, they put to sea again, and after two full years rounded the Pillars of Heracles in the course of the third, and returned to Egypt. These men made a statement which I do not myself believe, though others may, to the effect that as they sailed on a westerly course round the southern end of Libya, they had the sun on their right - to northward of them. This is how Libya was first discovered by sea"

Great Zimbabwe is a medieval city in the south-eastern hills of Zimbabwe near Lake Mutirikwe and the town of Masvingo. It was the capital of the Kingdom of Zimbabwe during the country's Late Iron Age. Construction on the monument began in the 11th century and continued until the 15th century.[1][2] The edifices were erected by the ancestral Shona.[2] The stone city spans an area of 7.22 square kilometres (1,780 acres) which, at its peak, could have housed up to 18,000 people.

burningfire

Veteran
obviously because they haven't found any yet,
but to jump to the conclusion that it is impossible is not smart archaeology.

Best to keep an open mind.

There is an almost endless list of evidence of pre colombian contact across the oceans.

The american civilizations did not arise independent of outside contact.

like I said before, if it was here in small quantities at limited locations you may never find it.

It most likely came on chinese, or japanese ships that used Hemp

IMO that's the exact opposite of smart archeology. even if some humans crossed to south america 13,000 to 14,000 thousand years ago like they did from asia to north america... there would be evidence of cannabis use in their history..

A lot of people think the peace pipe was packed with weed.. it's a fact that it was packed with tobacco and possibly other "legal highs" herbs and spices.

there's nothing to support weed pre-columbus in america..

I've been reading posts here and some people seem to make really hard separations between Hemp and Cannabis.. Modern Hemp is low in THC because it was selected against it, in nepal and places where they grow Cannabis for fiber, seed, oil and hash you have multi purpose plants that can still get you high.

W

Water-

IMO that's the exact opposite of smart archeology. even if some humans crossed to south america 13,000 to 14,000 thousand years ago like they did from asia to north america... there would be evidence of cannabis use in their history..

A lot of people think the peace pipe was packed with weed.. it's a fact that it was packed with tobacco and possibly other "legal highs" herbs and spices.

there's nothing to support weed pre-columbus in america..

I've been reading posts here and some people seem to make really hard separations between Hemp and Cannabis.. Modern Hemp is low in THC because it was selected against it, in nepal and places where they grow Cannabis for fiber, seed, oil and hash you have multi purpose plants that can still get you high.

I've only stated that it is possible that someone may have brought some to the Americas in small quantities. Because there is no doubt that people were capable of sailing across the ocean long before Colombus.

There is nothing that proves that did not happen.

As I stated before,

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence in archaeology.
most things are lost forever without any trace of their existence.

Keeping that open mind is key to any archaeological work.

If you come into it with your conclusions already drawn than that is considered poor science.

burningfire

Veteran
I've only stated that it is possible that someone may have brought some to the Americas in small quantities. Because there is no doubt that people were capable of sailing across the ocean long before Colombus.

As I stated before,

If you come into it with your conclusions already drawn than that is considered poor science.

yes, just like the spaghetti monster in the sky..

*****not a verified fact****** don't shoot the messenger, but I remember watching the strain hunters Jamaica expedition and I recall a guy named like shilpan or something talking to arjan and franco in a small ganja field that is used as their living seed bank. they asked him if he knew where the original lambsbread genetics came from and he said it came in the 80's from Westmoreland. kind of a vague answer but that could be UK/Australia/New Zealand or potentially one of the other british colonies. you can easily find the video on yt. just food for thought on a very interesting topic.

troutman

Seed Whore
*****not a verified fact****** don't shoot the messenger, but I remember watching the strain hunters Jamaica expedition and I recall a guy named like shilpan or something talking to arjan and franco in a small ganja field that is used as their living seed bank. they asked him if he knew where the original lambsbread genetics came from and he said it came in the 80's from Westmoreland. kind of a vague answer but that could be UK/Australia/New Zealand or potentially one of the other british colonies. you can easily find the video on yt. just food for thought on a very interesting topic.

Westmoreland in on the west side of Jamaica. :tiphat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmoreland_Parish

burningfire

Veteran
Just like Gobekli Tepe or countless other instances in archaeology or archaeobotany or paleontology etc.

keep an open mind.

I am open to new discoveries. but there's no discoveries relating to cannabis in the new world before columbus.

before we rewrite history on a whim let's find actual evidence or plausible hypotheses

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

As I stated before,

I agree, is your mind made up? You seem convinced there was pre 1492 Cannabis in the Americas.
I say there has never been any proof of Cannabis pre 1492 in the Americas, and this is correct as of today.
Cannabis is such a useful plant that it would of been used and shared and so spread amongst all pre 1492 peoples in the Americas and pollen, seed, and fiber remains would be as easy to find as it is in the rest of the old world where it was found everywhere people used it.

-SamS

CrossBones

Tobacco pipes

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I do all my relaxing armchair archaeological work on google and have yet to find any found hemp artifacts from the America's pre-1492 on search.. I stand corrected, always assumed peace pipes were full of special green.. Thanks for the correction Water, Bud, Tobacco makes more sense.. Learned Something New, Interesting Thread... I don't know history, I just try to make memorable moments...
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Latest posts