What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

when to pollinate?

Dimebagg

Hey guys, I got a good father plant that I'd like to collect some pollen from for some small scale, controlled seed making.

I just want to pollinate a bud or so on a few different ladies in the flower cab, which is on a 12/12 perpetual cycle. About how far into flowering should I pollinate? Is seed production time a stain to strain variation? Most of what Im growing now has an 8-10 week flowering time.

I dont know the usual process for this, but I'd like to just have the seeds mature and ready at harvest, so I can pick them out after drying. Thanks guys

delerious

I go a minimum of 30 days after pollination. When I pollinate just a few buds, I'll cut the plant in stages, I'm more interested in the seeds than the smoke so I don't mind if the seeded buds go too long if it means I'll get viable seeds. I usually gift a seeded bud to some grower friends, tell them what it is (Afghan Haze x No. Cheese Haze was last one). They get an idea what the mother was like and when they harvest, I get a taste of the result ( a win/win - they get free seeds and I get to see if it's worth exploring further).

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You really need 5 weeks to be 100% certain your seeds are mature, if your strains flower for 8 you must pollinate at 3 weeks in, if you don't have enough pistols at 3 weeks then wait a week and when it's time to chop keep the seeded branch/s going an extra week.

asstastic

You really need 5 weeks to be 100% certain your seeds are mature, if your strains flower for 8 you must pollinate at 3 weeks in, if you don't have enough pistols at 3 weeks then wait a week and when it's time to chop keep the seeded branch/s going an extra week.
this guys spot on i go 6 weeks
i would seed early on so the seed sticks out the top of the bud instead of in it. there alot easyer to find
so 2-3 weeks into flower

ibjamming

Veteran

this guys spot on i go 6 weeks
i would seed early on so the seed sticks out the top of the bud instead of in it. there alot easyer to find
so 2-3 weeks into flower

Actually...she's a she...

Listen to these people, they know what they're doing.

I go 6 weeks to be sure. Actually what I do is...pollinate when I have a month to go, just a few bottom buds. In 4 weeks I take the tops and leave the bottom pollinated branches to keep growing. In another 2 weeks I take the bottoms. They've usually grown a bit and we ALL harvest and then say..."it could have gone another week or two"...am I right? Win - win.

Just do a few buds...you'll get a lot of seeds from each. More than you think you will.

Good luck!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I shoot for 40 days. Still leaves a few greenies. This stem contained well over 100 seeds. Collect pollen in another room and then carefully "paint" a bud or stem using a Q-tip, paint brush etc.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pollinate as soon as possible when there are plenty of fresh white pistils which is around week 2 or 3 of flowering, then they need at least 30 days or so under bright lights with good balanced nutrition. Just cover them all in pollen, not much weed only tons of seeds! :woohoo:

xet

:bump:

Any more suggestions or things to look out for when considering the best time to pollinate for maximum seed yield? Pollinate not once but several times over a few days for example? Or just once?