What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One of my Blue Dream phenos smells... bad

Middle of week 3 flower, and one of the phenos smells real bad.. like sweaty/mildew-y bad. Checked for rot and mold, and there's nothing. Buds aren't crowded, good ariflow, good envio, etc. Just a weird smelling pheno I guess. Sucks because it's the greasiest and most swollen pheno in the garden atm.

Do smells change significantly throughout the flowering stage? And do any of you guys have any girls that smell unpleasant, but are worth keeping in the stable?

WelderDan

Veteran
Yeah, smells change. Then, curing changes it some more. It could turn out very different from what it smells like now. Give it a chance, you never know, it could turn out to be the best girl.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Some of the worst smells while growing translate into amazing tasting finished buds. Some of the best Cindy99 I have has beautiful pineapple syrup taste when smoked, but the growing plant also has a distinct baby poo smell. Pineapple syrup with a slight skunky rotten garbage, and stinky baby poo smell while growing. Then after harvest , nothing but great pineapple syrup Cindy flavor. Watch out for those baby poo phenotypes, could be fire!

Rotten fruit, garbage, garlic, shit, sweat, alcohol, sour wine, skunk are all "bad" smells, but I have seen them translate into nice smoking buds.

BCNeil

That's weird for Blue Dream. I have grown the clone and seeds from HSO. They all actually had one of the nicest smells while growing I ever had.

Rondon

The santa cruz cut of blue dream should smell very sweet. Like sweet fruity candy. Gives up large chunky budy with swollen fat calyxes. And in veg it looke like a text book sativa although stronger and more profused branching. And depending on your nitrogen feeds...its peaf color will be a noticeably lighter shade of green

Rondon

Blue Dream(the Santa Cruz cut) should be very sweet smelling. Like a sweet sugary fruity candy smell. Large buds with huge swollen calyxes. In veg it looks full on sativa with skinny leaf blades. It does have stronger morw profuse branching than a full sativa though. Also...depending on your feeds...the leaves will have a noticeably lighter shade of green.

Skip

Veteran
I cannot tolerate the smell of fresh cut NYC/Sour Diesel, it actually makes me sick!

Ah but the smoke! ;)

Easy7

Veteran
Some of the fine points of herb are it's awful pungent foul smells.

Smell is a selling point. Some of the finest smoking herb was not very pungent. It's just fun to let someone smell a nug of foul eye popping stank.

Sorceror

I had a granola funk that smelled smelled like rotten onions, garlic and skunk but the taste was some type of fruit punch. I should have kept that clone around until after the cure.

Drewsif

That garlic smell comes from neem in my experience. All those other funks are what sells weed,on the black market at least. Valerian is stinky like feet i hear. Not really a preference but smoked plenty of weed describe by other as valerian.

I dont know anyone who would turn down "Jesus Feet", "Cherub Diarrhea" or "Sphinx Piss" for some commercial sweet scent. If they don't like funk, they don't like weed. Not the way i do.

The funk smells are intoxicating. Never smelled anything that smelled like baby shit, always the "good version of baby shit" the "good version of" cat piss. Lots of trees smell just like "the good version of" cat piss. Reminds me of the first "nug" I ever smoked. Made me feel I had left reality, just smelling it.

You dont get the funk from legal grows where i live. I did get some "smells like a baby angel ate a bunch of worthers" strain one time, and never seen it or anything like it again. Sadly i believe old ignorant first timers are shaping the legal market along with commercial producers, setting it up for sugar soaked buds. Just like everything else in America. Soak it in sugar to hide the taste of synthetic fertilizers and make the ignorant client base think they have something good in their pipe. Almost all the bud where i live has no smell, or was grown with Brix+ or other artificial weight/smell simple sugar soak ups. So sweet strains rub me the wrong way. Mersh...

swayze65

I wonder about the person who made Blue Dream. There must have been a lot of phenos that came out. Some good, some bad. They sure found the right one to clone for the masses. I'm sure some of the phenos would have been like Haze or Blueberry. I guess it would be easy in cross into one to find out.

Latest posts

Latest posts