What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's official...Prohibition ends tonight!!!

Muleskinner

Veteran
Growing herb will be legal starting at midnight tonight....congrats to all!

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...epartment_preps_bay_state_cops_for_legal_weed

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ssachusetts/10Rl2inZQMjSPrNAMSBkCJ/story.html

>>>“The citizens have achieved this expansion of liberty using the initiative process which was conceived precisely for purposes such as this almost exactly a century ago,” he said, referring to constitutional changes allowing for voter-passed laws.

>>>Under the new state of the law, a person over 21 can have up to 10 ounces of marijuana in their primary residence — and more if they are growing it.

Last edited:

Dirt Life

Veteran
I lived in the Berkshires for 5 years and miss it... This makes me miss it more. My cousin and aunt, who both live in Ma., have already hit me up for cuts, and they already have a plot picked out in their backyard. Next year will hopefully be my first foray into outdoor! :)

Would be nice if the backwards ass, completely corrupted state I live in would do this... Anyways, congrats Massholes!!! And @ least one Poo-Yorker might benefit from this as well. :D

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not the end of prohibition at all...

If your PROHIBITED from having more than 10 ounces your still facing PROHIBITION!

Some people just cant see the forest through the trees!

& LIBERTY is far superior to LEGALIZATION.

I TAKE the liberty to do as I please wether it's LEGAL or not!

Love how journalists can twist the meanings of terminology.

KONY

Veteran
Came to post what MJPassion posted. Weed was already defacto legal in Massachusetts. Has been for years. Now we just have the opportunity for big business to move in eliminating all the mom n pop growers.

Green Squall

Came to post what MJPassion posted. Weed was already defacto legal in Massachusetts. Has been for years. Now we just have the opportunity for big business to move in eliminating all the mom n pop growers.

Not having to worry about being arrested for growing was enough for me and everyone else I know to vote yes. Also, people who would have never grown before will now be getting into it.

I feel for the mom and pop growers, but I think it's selfish to be against recreational weed just because it's going to cut into your profits. The law isn't perfect but it's better for society at the end of the day to have it be legal.

Skip

Veteran
Congrats Mass!

You did what other states couldn't manage.

Don't complain when you've got the most liberal law (AFAIK) in the world now...!

No limit on the size of the indoor grow or how much you can have, so long as you grow it yourself, right?

Sounds like a lot of freedom there for personal use.

Hope the government doesn't try to limit that freedom.

If it wasn't so freaking cold there, I'd move back east.

FireIn.TheSky

Congrats Mass!

Don't complain when you've got the most liberal law (AFAIK) in the world now...!

No limit on the size of the indoor grow or how much you can have, so long as you grow it yourself, right?

To have technically no limit you would have to have a med card. Med is no set limits yet, in order to do this you have to apply for hardship cultivation permission and be registered with the state.

For legal recreational it's a 6 plant limit but 12 per household is permissable.

KONY

Veteran
Congrats Mass!

We got plenty of freedom up here a few hours from MA. All freedom too, not just with cannabis. But its even colder than MA. Although I enjoy the cold. Never got used to the heat down south.

Muleskinner

Veteran
Maine's law allows for more veg. plants than Mass, although in Mass. you can legally have 12 flowering plants. It's such a pain in the ass to become a patient here, I'll never do it. I look forward to the day when Maine & Mass. people can travel back & forth trading clones & seeds, shopping, etc.

Question 4 is far from perfect, the home grow is actually the best part....handing regulation of the industry over to the prohibitionist governor and Treasurer was a horrible idea. It should have been given to the Dept. of Agriculture like Maine or the Alcohol Beverage Commission like Colorado. The new Cannabis Control bureaucracy is going to charge a whole bunch of fees to shake down consumers & merchants for money.

So it looks like you have pay $15,000 for a cultivator license, plus $3,000 to apply. I'd want my business plan to show $100,000 in annual revenue to be "worth it".

Black market is still there, you can grow 12 flowering plants and store all the harvest on-site without breaking any laws. That could be a shitload of herb! Selling will be illegal but at least the grow itself is legal for mom & pop.

KONY

Veteran
Maine's law allows for more veg. plants than Mass, although in Mass. you can legally have 12 flowering plants. It's such a pain in the ass to become a patient here, I'll never do it. I look forward to the day when Maine & Mass. people can travel back & forth trading clones & seeds, shopping, etc.

Question 4 is far from perfect, the home grow is actually the best part....handing regulation of the industry over to the prohibitionist governor and Treasurer was a horrible idea. It should have been given to the Dept. of Agriculture like Maine or the Alcohol Beverage Commission like Colorado. The new Cannabis Control bureaucracy is going to charge a whole bunch of fees to shake down consumers & merchants for money.

So it looks like you have pay $15,000 for a cultivator license, plus $3,000 to apply. I'd want my business plan to show $100,000 in annual revenue to be "worth it".

Black market is still there, you can grow 12 flowering plants and store all the harvest on-site without breaking any laws. That could be a shitload of herb! Selling will be illegal but at least the grow itself is legal for mom & pop.

Maine you can have 99 plants with no medical papers and only risk a misdemeanor, same with up to a lb of dried, trimmed, bagged up weed. Our leos also dont count fresh, untrimmed/wet weed amounts towards this.

There is no other state in the country like this, even with the ones that passed "legalization".

It really annoys me this state "legalized" cannabis, as the odds of them stiffening these penalties are much higher now, can't have competition with the "legal" growers.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Huh... Interesting points, Muleskinner & KONY. I saw this in the view of the "mom & pop" perspective, didnt really think of it another way... Would Maine be that reactionary to this Ma. legalizaton? Also, just read that you can have up to 5 grams of hash or concentrates legally, and between just over 5 grams to an ounce is a civil offence which carries a fine of $100...

Muleskinner

Veteran
we have to fight any attempts to increase penalties on cannabis violations going forward. Maine's medical law must be protected and left alone.

But I think it's really important that people be allowed to be 100% legal. Risking a misdemeanor is fine for some people. But that means the police still have a legal right to attack and raid your house. I have zero tolerance for that. So does anyone with kids, anyone divorced with kids, people who want to keep their day-job, people on probation for crimes, people with criminal records, people with roomates, people in apartments, etc., etc.

I would bet that penalties on "bootlegging" are going to always be less that what we have today for commercial growing. It will be hard to justify draconian sentences for doing too much of something that's legal. It will be much harder for police to justify local budget money for anti-cannabis ops.

Green Squall

In the past week, 3 head shops have opened up lol. I've only been in one and they seem to be a hybrid of head shop/vapor shop (nicotine). I doubt a city of this size can support 3 different buisnesses until they are allowed to sell rec weed and that's not for at least another year.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
In the past week, 3 head shops have opened up lol. I've only been in one and they seem to be a hybrid of head shop/vapor shop (nicotine). I doubt a city of this size can support 3 different buisnesses until they are allowed to sell rec weed and that's not for at least another year.

where's that? some smoking businesses are exempt from Mass smoking rules.

almost impossible to find a legal place to smoke indoors in Mass.

I tried some Hookah bars in Boston and they said no weed allowed.

still seaching for an indoor spot where it's legal to smoke and public.

next week I'm going to start approaching cigar stores looking for a venue to blaze in and stay warm.