What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

24hrs light, two 600hps side by side at 12/12hrs for heating room

hey!

sort of asking this out of despair as temperatures in the growroom plummet in winter!

the tent is 8x4 so the plan was to run the two 600s in there each at 12hrs one after the other to keep a constant flow of warm air to heat the room itself.

they will never be running both at the same time.

heard that autos can take 24 hrs of light but apart from outdoor no experience with them indoors.

so again, basically illuminating one 4x4 area with one 600 from midnight to midday and the other 4x4 with the 2nd 600 from midday to midnight.

would this be ok? really thinking about how to maintain temperatures in there and running out of ideas except for the autoflowers.

ofcourse the whole tent will be sort of illuminated even if just one 600 runs, but i think you guys get my point.

help much appreciated!

burmese

keep lights a little higher and maybe closer together,, in 24h lights maybe doesnt change significant amount energy needed for good growth,,,

Easy7

Veteran
I would never operate a grow light for the purpose of generating heat.

A heater would be cheaper and get the job done. If you want to and can afford to grow more than insulate the room/building and grow what you really desire. Add heat for heat and light for light.

If it's a house that is lived in I'd be more concerned about too much heat. Insulation should hold in grow light heat to sustain lights off hours. A drop in temp lights off is normal.

I have a gas fireplace if a few degrees is needed. Mostly just went ahead and insulated the walls when building them out with studs away from the cinder block. Except for not insulating the interior walls for obvious reasons. Only the exterior walls. The walls that the other side is outdoors.

it appears i made myself not clear in what i meant, let me try this again, let's draw a picture.

picture.php

i dont want to use the hps as a heater, i just want to run one side back to back with the other so i get constant warm air from the exhaust to keep it warm inside the room instead of a 12hour cooldown gap.

the real question here is just if the autoflowers would be ok with the "sort of" 24hr permalight!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Try it and see. Not having adequate light can stress them. Move plants around between the 2 light sources. You're wasting electricity running 24 hrs. a day. Largely debated topic....read on the threads. Best at 18/6.

Might be better to grow fewer that can absorb full lumens vs. partial between the two. Or have both lights on same light schedule.
Good luck

Easy7

Veteran
Something fishy about your exhaust practice from all these threads. You are gonna need some sort of electronic to shut off and on exhaust fans. Too warm and the window opens then it gets too cold. You need an exterior exhaust when temps get to high and an exterior intake when things get too warm.

Something fishy about your exhaust practice from all these threads. You are gonna need some sort of electronic to shut off and on exhaust fans. Too warm and the window opens then it gets too cold. You need an exterior exhaust when temps get to high and an exterior intake when things get too warm.

not really, when its spring or summer just exhaust out of the room and all is great.

it's just winter that is the dealbreaker and i really seem to have a hard time communicating what the problem is.

however i got an idea of what i will do and lets see if they can take the quasi 24h if not ill just postpone winter this is too much hassle

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Put one light on 18/6, unplug the other light and plug in a $20/500watt heater. Run the light at night and the heater during the few off-hours during the warmer 'day.' Done.

You'll use significantly less electricity, during the "keeping heated" phase 6hrs a day, and you'll get significantly higher quality end product. (vs. 24/0)

Put one light on 18/6, unplug the other light and plug in a $20/500watt heater. Run the light at night and the heater during the few off-hours during the warmer 'day.' Done.

You'll use significantly less electricity, during the "keeping heated" phase 6hrs a day, and you'll get significantly higher quality end product. (vs. 24/0)

true and i think i will also redo my air-intake ducting to really try to pump warmer air towards the "cold" intake window to cycle and then exit the room so it mixes right at entry point.

all a bit complicated but i can see light at the end of the tunnel!

Cmoon

I plan to run my autos 20/4 , its still a tad cold at moment :huggg:

Sill indoors a week old under 60 watt cob, under 400 hps in a unheated outdoor building in about 2 weeks and hopefull last few weeks will be greenhouse or outdoor about 80 days time.

This sound feasible?

bests Cm

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I plan to run my autos 20/4 , its still a tad cold at moment :huggg:

Sill indoors a week old under 60 watt cob, under 400 hps in a unheated outdoor building in about 2 weeks and hopefull last few weeks will be greenhouse or outdoor about 80 days time.

This sound feasible?

bests Cm

If you can, the 4 hrs off....turn them off during warmest part of the day to get residual heat. Good luck!

Cmoon

If you can, the 4 hrs off....turn them off during warmest part of the day to get residual heat. Good luck!

thanx for the heads up, I thought miday till 4 but will transition to slightly differing light cycles stress an auto to much?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As long as it's 20/4, plants don't know difference WHEN that 20/4 (your schedule) is......4 hrs needs to be dark.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
there is a product called "hound heater". it can be found in catalogs for houndsmen (yeah, they are real) and on-line. basically, they are a light bulb which gives off no light, designed to keep valuable and loved hunting dogs from being stressed in cold weather. thread into sockets like bulbs are, one will supposedly heat an "average-sized dog house" into the mid-40s i think. a couple of those in bottom of grow cab should keep your plants at a reasonable temp. putting them low allows the heat to be drifting upwards through your foliage.