What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can you root bound to hasten maturity?

angelgoob

Can you root bound and keep feeding for a shorter harvest cycle?

Plant will think "oh shit must produce calyxes for seeds!" And then you keep feeding...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are on their own time schedule. Decreased yield being root bound, but hastening harvest time, though some say in theory, it will....we disagree..

Easy7

Veteran
Interesting theory as I would have guessed, no.

Maturation is all about DNA and environment. DNA seems to write it's story in time. But yes light spectrum and fertilizer levels influence some strains ripening. Root bound I believe would hurt yield to closely.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting theory as I would have guessed, no.

Maturation is all about DNA and environment. DNA seems to write it's story in time. But yes light spectrum and fertilizer levels influence some strains ripening. Root bound I believe would hurt yield to closely.

Theory....although we've done side-by-side comparisons, root bound has not been one of them. Had a sativa root bound in 3 gallon container....maybe finished 5 days earlier than same one on 5 gallon. To me, no appreciable difference.

Mr Jay

Veteran
Can you root bound and keep feeding for a shorter harvest cycle?

Plant will think "oh shit must produce calyxes for seeds!" And then you keep feeding...

You really seem to have an obsession with autos finishing quicker. In all honesty, if that's all you're after then get a vege and flower chamber on rotation and get a 50 day flowering photoperiod strain. Poof, the time period you wanted.

Why the obsession with a quicker finishing auto? What is your end goal?

DJXX

Veteran
i think making the plant rootbound adds un necessary stress....this might help hurry it up a lil...watch this youtube...in short he says at lights out, turn on only red spectrum for 15 min and it tricks the plant into implementing flowering faster...he explains it well...this guy is really informative regarding LED and light color effectiveness...DJXX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwYk4L14vd4

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my end game is to breed an easy growing plant for people who struggle with small plants to keep them alive.

It's more in the genetics than how you treat your plant. Learn, experiment, journal....it's all part of the process for good successful breeding.

angelgoob

I did some reading.

Someone helped me a little. Actually three people had three different ideas and I took them.

Not only am I carefully root-bounding generations of plants, but I'm introducing cold and shorter light cycles early to them.

Ak 48 auto has big seeds. Here we go!

I cannot incorporate a photoperiod into the mix. Although it would probably teach me something.

M

moose eater

I think a variety of stressors can hasten ripening/maturity, but I also think none or few of them are positive, really. They all stand to take a toll on the product, in my opinion.

angelgoob

Someone said not to stress them.
But I have to test 'em.
I'm relentless
Ready for the diss
These plants grow
and they know
I will get high
Watch a documentary featuring Bill Nye
My eyes look like an egg bake, with red peppers
The THC hits my brain and for godness sake!
I will give some to the members
Free seed giveway
As big as a dime
I can't give away all the secrets because I am a mime.
Big seeds, big seedlings, natural law and adjustment never feeding until a few sets of leaves
This hash got my lungs all full of heaves
I'm using cold
So the plant will know it's
Old enough
Now calyxes swell
What's the smell?
Berry scent ringing your bell
Opposite of hell
I'm high as fuck
can't you tell?

NeDank

I would say yes from experience. Currently I'm growing 2 00 seeds Northern Lights in 10" pots. They both started flowering around 1 month old and are about 2' tall @ 6 weeks old. However on the other side of things I've seen outdoor grow journals where the same strain grew 3-4' tall @ harvest and took over 100 days to finish. There is no way my plants will grow that big or take that long.

Below you can see the two NL's (two left most plants) next to 3 dr feelgood's
picture.php

burmese

its always on strain //pheno//. find your strain, some will quickie em but some slowed em in development, if you dont go 12/12 from seed in sog grow em with much earth as you can

Latest posts

Latest posts