What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best frankincense smelling strain you can buy now?

Spaventa

Veteran
But I agree its the old Nev from GH that was best type...for me anyway.

If there was a weed fairy who could give you back ONE plant you grew in the past... it would be the light green 13/14 week phenotype i found 2 of among 7 girls from 10 2003 GH NH. They were 110% female, not a naner, finished properly, and the most frosty of them all. She was eye wateringing beautiful to look at. Perfectly triangle shaped. pencil thin 13 fingered leaves, HARD buds like little hand grenades with good size calyxes and absolutely encrusted with trichomes.
The funk of incense was next level, even compared to other hazes that do have it. almost nauseating in a closed space like a small room or car. i joke not.

bushed

If there was a weed fairy who could give you back ONE plant you grew in the past... it would be the light green 13/14 week phenotype i found 2 of among 7 girls from 10 2003 GH NH. They were 110% female, not a naner, finished properly, and the most frosty of them all. She was eye wateringing beautiful to look at. Perfectly triangle shaped. pencil thin 13 fingered leaves, HARD buds like little hand grenades with good size calyxes and absolutely encrusted with trichomes.
The funk of incense was next level, even compared to other hazes that do have it. almost nauseating in a closed space like a small room or car. i joke not.

Hey Sparventa, have you tried the current fem nev haze from greenhouse? Was thinking of giving it a try, also looking at western winds its hard to find first hand reports on either.

Spaventa

Veteran
Hey Sparventa, have you tried the current fem nev haze from greenhouse? Was thinking of giving it a try, also looking at western winds its hard to find first hand reports on either.

Have 3 vegging right now actually. I just got roots on cuts I took from them so will be flowering them soon.
If it no good Western Winds or Kali Mist are my next move. Might side by side them cos I heard both got it. Post 98/current KM i will add.. good reports recently. Good luck with your search. If I ever find one like I remember I will put her about freely to any other incense fans :tiphat:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Let us know Spaventa if the trait still exist in the new batches NHz from Greenhouse.Hopefully the trait is still there.

Keep on growing :)

Let me know if you ever come across that plant returning weed fairy, heheh

most of em I've had already been mentioned western winds , nl5+haze , Neville's , etc. But the Flo comes to mind immediately. I'm good at guess that nug but this is one of the only strains in 20 years of smoking I can identify by the smell of the smoke in the air

Spaventa

Veteran
Let me know if you ever come across that plant returning weed fairy, heheh

I will, I promise :)

most of em I've had already been mentioned western winds , nl5+haze , Neville's , etc. But the Flo comes to mind immediately. I'm good at guess that nug but this is one of the only strains in 20 years of smoking I can identify by the smell of the smoke in the air

Ok! this sounds promising. Can you recommend a good source? Thanks you.

Happy Times

Have 3 vegging right now actually. I just got roots on cuts I took from them so will be flowering them soon.

If I ever find one like I remember I will put her about freely to any other incense fans :tiphat:

Good luck!! Hopefully you have something frankincense-y in a few months!

It's all over Colorado if you know people there. DJ short is the breeder I believe there is original Flo , Flo , & temple Flo . One has something to do with Dutch passion. Also check "working toward temple Flo " thread here on IC

Brelva

colorado flo isn't frankincense-y. It does put a certain incense in the air when burned but it's completely different from frankincense. Not knocking it, the flavor and burned scent are great in their own right.

yoss33

Veteran
Hi there :tiphat:

It's nice to remember that not only the strain is important when aiming for a particular smell, but also the soil and climate. This is true for all plants with smell/taste. It's valid for the Boswellia trees that produce frankincense resin - (from Wikipedia) "Differences in soil and climate create even more diversity of the resin, even within the same species."
A few years ago when I started using worm castings made from cow dung is when I started growing plants that have frankincense smell. Not all but - Eldorado x Full Moon (mexican x thai), Stardawg (ChemD descendant), SSSDH (OJD's cut). ChemD and SSSDH can be seen mentioned in this thread, but the person that gave the clones to me didn't mention frankincense, while my outdoor plants with about 50% worm castings in the soil reeked of it. I'm talking about the smell of the smoke.

Ready4

Veteran
hello all ! Some thoughts on "frankincense" .... When all the haze was in NYC in the 1990'- 2000's,
it was being grown in greenhouses in Florida in mass amounts, then compacted and trucked up the coast. The greenhouse growing, huge amounts and compacted for shipping in big containers/bales or however it was shipped, curing process of big amounts compacted together, certainly contributed heavily to the smell/odor & taste of the NYC Haze. Anybody who has grown a plant outdoors knows how different it can turn out as compared to a indoor plant.
To duplicate that Frankincense smell/burning odor of the Haze, I think you would have to try to duplicate the conditions it was/is grown in. If it is still around NYC, it probably is still being grown out state in greenhouses.And it most certainly is a not one of those wispy 20 week hazes , probably a 1990's Nevilles Haze or Super Silver Haze,etc that yields huge in a commercial greenhouse.

Spaventa

Veteran
hello all ! Some thoughts on "frankincense" .... When all the haze was in NYC in the 1990'- 2000's,
it was being grown in greenhouses in Florida in mass amounts, then compacted and trucked up the coast. The greenhouse growing, huge amounts and compacted for shipping in big containers/bales or however it was shipped, curing process of big amounts compacted together, certainly contributed heavily to the smell/odor & taste of the NYC Haze. Anybody who has grown a plant outdoors knows how different it can turn out as compared to a indoor plant.
To duplicate that Frankincense smell/burning odor of the Haze, I think you would have to try to duplicate the conditions it was/is grown in. If it is still around NYC, it probably is still being grown out state in greenhouses.And it most certainly is a not one of those wispy 20 week hazes , probably a 1990's Nevilles Haze or Super Silver Haze,etc that yields huge in a commercial greenhouse.

Hi, theres no mystery to it :) the aroma of incense, musky sandalwood or "church" TO THE SMOKE ...is a plant characteristic. It has nothing to do with outdoor or indoor growing because Ive had it from both and the most was from indoor grown Nevilles Haze from GHS in 2003. I grew them in canna soil with Canna nutrients. All 7 girls from 10 seeds had ridiculous amount of pungent room filling incense funk to the smoke.

Ive had LOADS of outdoor grown weed back in my younger days, brought here in bulk from spain and NONE of it had connoisseur incense funk to the smoke. I smoked the local weed in fiji, outdoor grown and that had a bit, not as much but some. Its genetic. I wondered if its soil/organic but its not that either cos i got in lemon haze done in hydro, i got in a uk clone called KrissKross in hydro.

I personally believe that what I'm talking about is "Haze". I know many disagree and would call many plants, that lack the special incense quality, "Haze". I would just call them Sativa or sativa dominant. The smell Im talking about literally comes from the smoky "Haze" that hangs in the air wherever the buds are burned. When you know it, its unmistakeable and irresistible. This is the weed people smell burning at a party and flock towards. as soon as you light up, people are rubber necking.

Last edited:

Ready4

Veteran
Hi, theres no mystery to it :) the aroma of incense, musky sandalwood or "church" TO THE SMOKE ...is a plant characteristic. It has nothing to do with outdoor or indoor growing because Ive had it from both and the most was from indoor grown Nevilles Haze from GHS in 2003. I grew them in canna soil with Canna nutrients. All 7 girls from 10 seeds had ridiculous amount of pungent room filling incense funk to the smoke.

Ive had LOADS of outdoor grown weed back in my younger days, brought here in bulk from spain and NONE of it had connoisseur incense funk to the smoke. I smoked the local weed in fiji, outdoor grown and that had a bit, not as much but some. Its genetic. I wondered if its soil/organic but its not that either cos i got in lemon haze done in hydro, i got in a uk clone called KrissKross in hydro.

I personally believe that what I'm talking about is "Haze". I know many disagree and would call many plants, that lack the special incense quality, "Haze". I would just call them Sativa or sativa dominant. The smell Im talking about literally comes from the smoky "Haze" that hangs in the air wherever the buds are burned. When you know it, its unmistakeable and irresistible. This is the weed people smell burning at a party and flock towards. as soon as you light up, people are rubber necking.

Hello Spaventa ! I think you misunderstood some of what I was saying. I sure was not saying just any outdoor grown would have that frankie odor/smell, rather I was just stating that the same strain, when grown outdoors, can have far different appearance & odor, when compared to that same strain grown indoors.

The majority of people seeking the "frankincense" odor/burnt scent, are folks who greatly appreciated the old school haze they picked up in New York City, in the the 1990's -2,000's.
That haze was being grown in greenhouses in South Florida, under that blazing hot sun, in very large commercial amounts. While not technically outdoors, that south Florida hot sun surely brought out the best of that Haze that cannot truly be duplicated indoors by artificial light, no matter how much light is utilized.
Then it was harvested, compacted & shipped up to NYC. That drying, curing as shipped, in large amounts, sure changed the odor/taste/terpenes.
My thought on how they finished it is something I have seen here, on a far smaller scale & done indoors with just 1 plant, etc.
While in the greenhouse, water can be controlled. As it was being grown on a huge commercial scale, they would have wanted it to have it dried & ship asap.
By not watering for the last couple weeks
( length of time depends on heat levels, etc), plants can finish almost totally dry or completely dry right on the plant. I do not know they did this for fact, but it makes good very sense they would want it dried asap so they could truck it up to NYC - it was all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Try doing that sometime with one of your Haze plants ( or any plant), you will be amazed how incredibly sticky , extra potent & odorous it turns out. Very possible the genetics that lead to the frankincense burnt odor are greatly enhanced by such a finishing dry method, imo.

Best of luck to all in your searching ! :tiphat:

Just saw this Uptown White Dawg from riot seeds it says " frankincense pheno " is showing up in the packs figured it was worth a mention on here

Spaventa

Veteran
Hi there :tiphat:

It's nice to remember that not only the strain is important when aiming for a particular smell, but also the soil and climate. This is true for all plants with smell/taste. It's valid for the Boswellia trees that produce frankincense resin - (from Wikipedia) "Differences in soil and climate create even more diversity of the resin, even within the same species."
A few years ago when I started using worm castings made from cow dung is when I started growing plants that have frankincense smell. Not all but - Eldorado x Full Moon (mexican x thai), Stardawg (ChemD descendant), SSSDH (OJD's cut). ChemD and SSSDH can be seen mentioned in this thread, but the person that gave the clones to me didn't mention frankincense, while my outdoor plants with about 50% worm castings in the soil reeked of it. I'm talking about the smell of the smoke.

Thats interesting about the outdoor soil grown factor. Ive always found that it brings the trait out more, as does a good cure (but not too long or you loose it. 3 months max)

Hope to try OJDs SSSHD myself some day. Im growing his Haze cookies and 90s haze right now. Both those strains are that SSSHD cut crossed - with GSC for the Haze cookies and with an old NL5xHaze elite for the 90s Haze. Id love to have the pure though!

Ive got Amnesia (core cut) on the go as well so should have some frankincense somewhere among that lot!