What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4x8 flower tent

Hello everyone I was in need of some advice I previously was growing in a 4x4 with a 600 watt hps. Now I upgraded to a 4x8 and don’t know if I should do 2 1k hps in my raptor hoods since I have the raptor hoods already just would need to get new ballast and bulbs. Or go with 3 600 watt and find smaller hoods and get 2 more ballast? I am running a 8inch hurricane exhaust that’s should be big enough to cool the hoods. Any helpful input or advice would be greatly appreciated

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Of the mogul based HPS or MH bulbs, 600W bulbs are the most efficient made.
They produce more light and less heat per watt of electricity used.
AND

3x600=1800W used with 3 points of light that can be moved closer to the canopy is better than
2x1000= 2000W used and 2 points of light, imo.

That’s what I had wanted to do since for one it was less Watts and and heat and as you pointed out more points if light more spread. Thank you for your advice

UncleBens

I used to use a 4x8 tent with 2 600's and a 315cdm between. I had to turn the hps down to 500 max due to temps but had great results.

3x600 is overkill IMO, the extractor fan will turn the tent inside out keeping those temps down haha!
If you are buying new lights I'd definitely recommend 315s alone though :yes:

:yeahthats
EDIT: How many of what are you going to run?
Originally I wanted to run 3 600 or 3 315. But I had wanted to use the raptor hoods since I had those laying around but if it is 100% better to go 3 lights I will just go that way and get smaller 8” hoods. Any suggestions on good 8” hoods that I can fit 3 in a 4x8?

I used to use a 4x8 tent with 2 600's and a 315cdm between. I had to turn the hps down to 500 max due to temps but had great results.

3x600 is overkill IMO, the extractor fan will turn the tent inside out keeping those temps down haha!
If you are buying new lights I'd definitely recommend 315s alone though :yes:
Did you have the 2 600s in a/c hoods? How did you like the 4x8? I have most of the equipment to go hps would just need new ballast and bulbs.

UncleBens

I liked the 4x8 but I wanted to upgrade to 315's after seeing how much better my plants looked when I added the 315 between the 2 hps.
The footprint dosent work out great for 4x8, as each cdm covers about 2.5x2.5 - 3x3 IMO, so in a 4x8 there would be hot spots and dim spots.
Now I have a 5x10 and will have 6 x 315s in there, with some space at the side for fans/ heaters etc.

I liked the 4x8 but I wanted to upgrade to 315's after seeing how much better my plants looked when I added the 315 between the 2 hps.
The footprint dosent work out great for 4x8, as each cdm covers about 2.5x2.5 - 3x3 IMO, so in a 4x8 there would be hot spots and dim spots.
Now I have a 5x10 and will have 6 x 315s in there, with some space at the side for fans/ heaters etc.
What kind of reflectors are you using for the cmh? And I assume they don’t get that hot?

Koondense

Veteran
Would I just need to get the cmh conversion kit and use the raptor hoods? And would that cover the 4x8 completely?

Two would cover the 4x8 perfectly, the air cooled hood would help with heat management. However the 315w cmh(non DE) lamps won't be ok in the raptor hood, direct airflow is not ok for these models.
I think you'd need completely new hoods and all.

Two would cover the 4x8 perfectly, the air cooled hood would help with heat management. However the 315w cmh(non DE) lamps won't be ok in the raptor hood, direct airflow is not ok for these models.
I think you'd need completely new hoods and all.
2 630 or 2 315 would work perfectly? Only the de models work with direct airflow? You have a suggestion on a site to get the cmh and reflectors?

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I run two 600's in my 4 X 8. They work perfect! Running this set up for 10 years now. 3 is total over kill and would produce to much heat in the warmer months where I am at. Even two is a hassle keeping the temp below 80f running a fan through my cool tubes.

I run two 600's in my 4 X 8. They work perfect! Running this set up for 10 years now. 3 is total over kill and would produce to much heat in the warmer months where I am at. Even two is a hassle keeping the temp below 80f running a fan through my cool tubes.
How were your yields? How many plants did you use the whole tent? I was thinking of 8-12 plants in a scrog the whole tent?

UncleBens

I agree with putembk, 2 600s is all that you need, or 4x 315's in lec reflectors. Adding another 600 watts wouldnt yield you much more than the 2 600s, and as putembk says you would have a job keeping temps down! I have a 10 inch rvk and its on full whack quite often, and thats in a much larger tent.
Plant numbers sound good too.

I agree with putembk, 2 600s is all that you need, or 4x 315's in lec reflectors. Adding another 600 watts wouldnt yield you much more than the 2 600s, and as putembk says you would have a job keeping temps down! I have a 10 inch rvk and its on full whack quite often, and thats in a much larger tent.
Plant numbers sound good too.
Ok will give it a go so 2 600s I’m 8 inc raptor hoods should cover the 4x8 tent perfectly

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
How were your yields? How many plants did you use the whole tent? I was thinking of 8-12 plants in a scrog the whole tent?

I get excellent yields even though I am limited to 48" tall plants. I am in 5 gal pots. I have had as many as 8 plants in flower. I find I get a better yield by only having 6 at a time and allowing them to spread out a bit.

I know nothing about a scrog.....good luck