What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When You Make a Perfect Cookie Recipe - but don't Understand Exactly what you're doin

St. Phatty

I made the same cookie recipe hundreds of times over about a 15 year period.

Reading now as I maybe prepare to make some butter, about Decarboxylation etc., I realize a little more what happened with my cookie recipe.

Basically the recipe was -

Storebought Pillsbury or similar cookie dough, 1/2 a roll or more

1/2 ounce of high test bud

I would mix it together, and then cook it.

I always found that it worked best when I burned the cookies.

Looking back and thinking about it - especially the part about the boiling point of water being 212 F, I realize that during the first part of the baking process, e.g. 15 minutes, the dough-Cannabis mixture didn't get any hotter than 212 F.

Then, once the water was heated off, it would really start heating.

I always found it worked best to burn the cookies a little bit. It looked like it was smoking on the edges, but I think that was just steam rising.

The outside of the cookie I made, one big 12 inch diameter cookie, would be blackened.

I wouldn't eat that, I would eat the inside.

The recipe would say you need to bake the cookies @ 425 F for 20 to 25 minutes.

So I always hovered over the oven towards the end part, until it looked properly burned.

That was a judgment made according to experience, but without much education, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I didn't use a thermometer in the cookie, just the oven thermometer and the appearance of the cookie.

I would estimate that it was Decarb'ing the last 10 or 15 minutes, when the water was gone and the cookie dough had the appearance at the end of burning.

Do I sort of have it right ?

I'm going to make sugar cookies today or tomorrow using some Sativa from Winter 2018.

I will use my normal procedure, but I thought, well, since you guys are experts, maybe you could explain my baking process in slightly more scientific terms.

Hope I have explained the procedure thoroughly enough.

Thanks for any info ! :tiphat:

St. Phatty

This is what it ended up looking like -

attachment.php

35 minutes at 375 on the left, 35 minutes at 400 on the right.

The less burned cookie tastes a lot better.

The more burned cookie might have a better amount of Carboxylation

Took a small piece, maybe 4 grams, of '375', gave it 75 minutes, medium buzz.

Took a smaller piece of '400', maybe 2 grams, major buzz within a half hour.

I've always used informal techniques like this to figure out what dose of cookie works the best.

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_190744_+__.jpg
    IMG_20181020_190744_+__.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 26

Gry

Recall reading a British source from India which said that bhang cooked for 4 hours was an improvement over bhang cooked for two. Bhang cooked for 6 hours was an improvement over the 4 hour version. Bhang cooked for 8 hours was an improvement over the 6 hour version...
Badkittysmiles left a countertop decarb process which works like ringing a bell for me:
https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction

St. Phatty

https://www.facebook.com/remarcablefoods

Marc Boyer makes the best cookies I've ever had.

He uses the leaves, too. He showed me the left-over leaves once. They were like hay, completely extracted.

I think that might mean, there's CBD in his cookies.

The effect of the sugar cookies he was selling in 2004 - I was smoking cigs at the time.

After eating about 3/8 of one of his cookies, which are a decent size, about 4 inches in diameter, the high lasted about 12 hours.

I had zero appetite for tobacco, & slept good.

3/8 was a little too much. I got off the Sky train at the wrong stop and felt drunk walking home.

He's got a cool cookie factory.

T

Teddybrae

Hiya St P! No Science ... kitchen wisdom here ...

Here's our recipe: (sorry but measurements are metric.)

125g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup custard powder (this may be omitted just add extra 1/4 cup flour)
1/3 cup coconut
3/4 cup dope dust. (grind/sieve 28grams (1 ounce) heads. DON'T exceed 3/4 cup or mixture will not bind together!)
3/4 cup flour

Method: Beat butter and sugar and milk until combined.
Add other ingredients ... mix well.
Roll into balls (about half a golf ball size) place on tray and flatten with fork.
Should make about 30 biscuits depending on size of ball you make.
Bake at 180 CELCIUS for 15-20 mins (like you say St P, 'til edges brown.)
You can add a pinch or two of your favourite spice into dry ingredients.
I think it's convenient that 1 biscuit contains, more or less, 1 gram of dope!

Others I 've talked to about this method of ingestion say that temperatures like these shouldn't cook out the terpenes. All I know is that I 'm shit faced after a 1/4 of one of these biscuits. We eat about 3/4 a day and there's little hangover next morning.

Bye now ...

Latest posts

Latest posts