What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The solution for molded bud

coldcanna

Veteran
@mushroom- what strain was your buddy running? also agree with you that location is a huge factor- a good steady breeze can be a life savor. the farm I own now is down in a valley and we dont get much air movement.

@weird- dont mean this to be a tit for tat arguement i just think we're talking apples and oranges here. yes i agree with you that proper cultivars, location selection, and organic preventatives are the first steps taken by responsible growers. For example in my situation I know that my location sucks but I am stuck here for another year. Cultivars take time and can be spead up with science that I dont have access to. I agree with legalization in the sense that now real scientists can look for genetic markers to pest resistance and selective breed us away from botrytis and PM.

There is a separate underlying dynamic here. As much as people argue against intensive agriculture vs small organic, intensive is what has allowed so many people to move away from farming and pursue other interests. Since the industrial revolution the life expectancy of people has skyrocketed and famine does not exist in the industrialized world. I appreciate the quality and care of organics and go with them when I can- but the simple fact is you go to the grocery store and organic products cost twice as much! So in this case quantity does outstrip quality- sure it would be fantastic if our country could be fed entirely organically for an affordable price but the fact is that economics speak for themselves and the lack of efficiency leads to higher prices.

That being said- the past/current paradigm of marijuana will not exist in 10 years. The bulk of street weed is untested for fungicides like Eagle (which I have never used) or other chemicals and this weed is the "big ag" of pot. And of course there are artisans and for sake of arguements I will call you the artisan at this point. They will always have their place but the bulk of people will appreciate more efficiency. In fact I digress that if you are an activist for pot you would support the cheapest available way to produce clean product for consumers so EVERYBODY can afford it.

Right now in colorado only half of sales are for actual flower and it continues now- people realize that concentrates in the form of edibles and vaping are a healthier and more convienent way. Now if I and you both belief that marijuana has unbelievable benefits medically and spiritually- and I come up with a way to supply 5 or 10 people's week supply of cannabinoids for the cost that your artisan method can supply 1 or 2, who is helping society more?

I'm not simply talking about taking moldy weed and processing it, I'm talking about producing weed as a field crop where it would be literally impossible to keep things perfect. (if it were possible you woud not see grape growers having mold issues year over year) Now we take the 3 steps of prevention that we both agree on and all i'm saying is adding one more preventative process during concentration and in the end lab results on my product come back as clean as yours. At this point how are your artisan cannabinoids any better than my production cannabinoids? a molecule is a molecule no matter what stigma you place on it. except that my methods will turn off all the fossil fuel consuming grow lights and air conditioners that the "artisan" guys use. so my "profiteering methods" are saving tons of energy and pollution while reducing wasted material- who's method is really better for the environment and the people ?

ed: And I guess I should add, theres nothing stopping a field crop grower from producing his/her crop MJ crop organically and even no till and using OMRI products for spray

Last edited:

coldcanna

Veteran
And for what its worth- "product" signifies a finished item ready for market. I am not talking about selling moldy flowers, or even cleaning flowers to sell as "clean flowers". I am talking about adding a step to conventional extraction methods as an extra measure of safety.

So when you say "inferior product" what you are actually referring to is inferior inputs. If the end result is a concentrate that is tested and is as clean as anything else than by definition the finished product would not be inferior, it would meet all requirements set forth by regulations and would be indistinguishable from anything else. So if on a biochemical level both finished products are indistinguishable from each other the input is irrelevant.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Artisan is a good choice of words.

I just had a thought. Rec testing looks for spores right? Do they even test for myo's and afla's in extracts?
I was under the impression they check a slide for spores?

I will contact my lab I am curious. I never cared to know the tiny details. "pass" is all I need.

If they do not test for toxins specifically a whole lot of those toxins might make it to market.

Forgive my hypotheses but if you developed a "cleaning" process you would be improving quality/standards would you not?

mushroombrew

Veteran
@coldcanna they had Afghani hybrids. I think it was also in an effort to reduce the footprint. 16ft sativas are pretty obvious on a hillside coverd in 3ft brush...

And the choppers fly incessantly.

Shit I'll ask him.

coldcanna

Veteran
haha yea I could imagine- it aint too bad here i'm in legal maine... you put an 18" plant in the ground june 1st and its about 6-7ft after stretch. flowering for us starts end of july into early august, 1st frost is early-mid october, such a short grow season it makes me jealous of all the warm weather guys crushing it into november.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Wow!!
I just finished reading this entire thread, because I was hoping to gain some insight into solving the problem with mold in outdoor grows.

For a minute there, I thought I was watching the Jerry Springer Show...

In my humble opinion,
I believe botrytis and other outdoor molds that affect cannabis have been developed by Monsanto (Bayer) so they can get a foothold in the upcoming industry.....:biggrin:

T

Teddybrae

No, Bud. Some moulds have been known for aeons. Moulds, especially Botrytis, are what gives certain wines their unique taste. (Oz winegrowers were complaining last season about there being NO mould cos of the weather!)
Have you tried spraying with bicarb and water?

Wow!!
I just finished reading this entire thread, because I was hoping to gain some insight into solving the problem with mold in outdoor grows.

In my humble opinion,
I believe botrytis and other outdoor molds that affect cannabis have been developed by Monsanto (Bayer) so they can get a foothold in the upcoming industry.....:biggrin:

blastfrompast

Veteran
I agree that different strains have different immunities...

almost like their terpene profiles are playing a role ;)

I have one old indica we saved from 2003-2004 mebbe.... Nothing will touch her....immune to PM that destroyed a show locally with a few other strains .... only thing that had zero sign was that strain... Very unique nose to her....

Solid 20% untrimmed extraction #'s, and done in 8weeks flat.....

I think as we go further and LP's start to have more issues you will see them running more genetics that have resistance vs what the public wants...same reason people buy shitty tasting tomatoes that look good....eventually they just dont know any better.

PDX Dopesmoker

Wow!!

In my humble opinion,

Yeah I think I figured out what to do moldy bud, shove it up these buttclencher's asses and have them it crush it to diamonds.
For what it's worth I smoked a QP of moldy bud in like 1993 or so with no noticeable negative effects so far. I used to work around fungus all day for years, I have fungus living on my skin and in my body. "Fungus" is as much of bogeyman word as "Drugs". People go out of their way to grow botrytis on their grapes, it improves the final product. If you're concerned about something bad and scary then name what it is, if you can't then it's your own ignorance on the topic and your superstition based belief system thats haunting you. Fungus isn't necessarily evil just because it looks ugly.
P.S. your predator mites are shitting all over your plants, are you really going to smoke bugshit? ewwwwwww grosss!!!!