What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Metal halide vs HPS for flowering?

toohighmf

Veteran
Fact: plants veg faster and yield higher under HPS unless your talking ceramic mh.
MH=minimal harvest. I have tried to implement it in my garden and I lost 6 oz for doin it. Get yourself a 400w switchable ballast and a good bulb n fan. If you want enough personal smoke to get you from harvest to harvest, a 400 hps will more than double your yields over a 250 with a little more heat, so a 6" air coiled reflector and fan would be a wiser decision.

CowGuy

Would MH work better for a stealth grow better because of the actual color the light? I feel like blocking the softer MH light would be easier then an HPS. I'm also considering MH to keep plants shorter, but I have 6ft of wall space so I don't think that would be a problem, but not sure as I haven't done a completed grow. Have read that HPS lights can sometimes make plants too tall and lanky and I don't have a huge amount of space to work with 6' tall 1.5' wide. Was gonna go with 250w

toohighmf

Veteran
Genetics and cramming make taller plants. If MH is supposed to be intended for vegging, don't ya,think its going to stretch more blooming and veg.??? Don't simulate nature, manipulate it.

toohighmf

Veteran
If you run 2kw of each watch the MH yield 1/2 to a to 2/3tds less. Trichromes? The same. Uvb light may increase trich production, but so can a good environment with plenty of red spectrum.

drymouth

Thanks for the heads up looks like i got to chang them out yo, Toohigh I read your thread and it inspiered me to run the horticontrol flip I hope the shit works out.... I seen you guys at the last 2 hydro convention in SF thats when I really got the idea I was wondering if that flip can flip my 2 cmh's you think the CMH will under yield like the MH?

budlover123

I made an LED light for a friend that is practically all blue light. He uses it with his HPS light. This is basically trying to address the difference in the light spectrum between MH and HPS while only adding an extra 51 watts of power as opposed to running another 250 - 600 watt MH.

I know that the LEDs emit 12,000 mW of 450nm blue light, what I can't find data on anywhere is how many mW of 450nm blue light 250-1000 watt MH lights emit. Anybody got data on that for any bulbs (not just relative data, data with mW levels)

The only data I got is on the side of a plantmax bulb I got that shows the plantmax 250 watt HPS emits 4450mW of red light at it's peak output level.

a link to the thread about that light is in my signature