What's new

Diagnose this?

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Few days from chopping, nothing but water for the past two weeks, flushed well 4 days ago. Many of the leaves are doing this, not old ones but middle ones.

Any idea?

G

Looks like light burn to me. What type of light are they under and how far away?

TNJed

Yup. Light bleaching. Maybe back your light off about six or eight inches. No big deal.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Thanks guys, I'm not up on all the changes on leaves and such, I had staked them up recently and that did raise them closer to the light. They are meeting my scissors in a few days though.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

inflorescence

Veteran
Whenever you adjust the lights, put the back of your hand at the height of the top leaves. If it's burning the back of your hand it will also burn the leaves.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Putting your hand in and trying to feel the temperature is perhaps a way to detect a light that is so close that it's burning the plants, but a light can fry a leaf slowly by being just slightly too close, and you won't really be able to tell. Factors that also has to be calculated into the distance are air humidity, ventilation, health of the plants, etc. Low air humidity will decrease the leaf surface resistance to aggressive HID lighting, strong ventilation will quickly evacuate the plant's own transpiration and have a similar effect. A badly nourished plant will be less resistant (with thinner leaves), as will disease infected or stressed plants.
I'm a little surprised that you say the middle leaves are yellowing, normally it's the upper fan leaves that fry first.
Then again, a few days before harvest, what difference does it make?

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Yeah I was surprised that it was the middle ones too. But the plants were kinda leaning over for a while till I staked them...who knows. But right they are coming down in a few days, I was just wondering what it was.

BTW, if the light has burned leaves, then what does it do to the pistils? They look all white and juicy still on the top.

sproutco

Veteran
Were the areas that are brown now white first? Are the leaves twisting at all? You have the leaf flat...was the edges wavy before? The leaf picture is not clear. Is the tips burned too? So the plants have been in the same soil for two months now without any additional lime or calcium/magnesium in the water?

First impression of the leaf is zinc deficiency. This may explain the small leaves you have. (lol) Sometimes they call zinc def. little leaf. Too much bat poop with phosphorus can bring this on.

You did have a copper problem a long time ago...remember the wilting tops for no reason? Could have been too much nitrogen. You have "claw leaves" right?

You might should investigate adding more micronutrients. Seaweed would be organic. Best suggestion is cal mag plus. This contains calcium and magnesium but also has all the micros. You might use this a couple of times to make sure you have enough of all these especially if you are depending on solely dolomite lime to provide cal mag. There are alternatives to this. You could boost levels with epsom salt, gypsum, and a micronutrient mix.

Last edited:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
I respect your opinion sproutco, I have seen you help so many people. But I have made decisions on growing and one of them is, I am not making this some scientific lab project with dozens of bags of additives and shit.

Could I grow better reefer if I grew mine like a scientist? I don't know, maybe.
But I grow good weed, better than anything I have purchased in years. And I enjoy growing it, making it so very institutional and scientific would take the fun out of it for me.

I read these threads where people are adding this to help that which causes this so you have to add that... then it fucks with your ph so you have to add this .........yadayadayada Not for me.

This plant is due to be chopped so whatever is causing this won't matter anyway, I was just curious.

Last edited:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
hahaha um yes you do, it is like reading a scientific journal and my mind doesn't really work that way anyway.

Would kelp meal work as the seaweed does? I use that as ain additive to my organic mix.

Last edited:

sproutco

Veteran
I really don't know much about seaweed or kelp. I do know they contain micros. How much...I dont know. Take a look at that link. Seems like there is a liquid seaweed you could put in your water. Seaweed tea?

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
No thanks, I am not buying anything else right now, I could read threads and go buy everything that anyone recommends....but where do I store it all, I don't own a warehouse! hahahahaha

But thanks sprout, you know I like you, I am just teasing you.